Saying Goodbye!

Darren Wilson

TVWBB Member
I am sorry to say that after the worst 7 months of my life, I am trashing the 57cm WSM that was purchased in May 2014!!

It has been out of round on both the centre section and lid since it was 2 weeks old! Weber tell me that they are not going to warranty it as "it is impossible to go out of shape without being squashed", well this one certainly hasn't been squashed!!

It requires more foil to be used as a gasket than has been used on all the cooks combined on it!

After looking around at other peoples smokers, I could have bought TWO similar smokers and still had change from what it cost me for the WSM and the aftersale service from the other companies is actually worth something!

Once the New Year is here, the WSM will be going to the local refuse tip as that is the only place it is fit for!

Sorry to hear about your problem. It's really a simple fix. Just measure the radius of the opening of the middle section in several places and squeeze in the longer side. Keep repeating until the measurements are the same. Do the same with the lid, but the lid will take a little more pressure since the metal is thicker.

It is a much better unit and worth the price over the cheaper units you mentioned.

I saw a post somewhere here where a guy added some gasket material around the lip... maybe try that before it's demise? I don't have one but it seems like a sad end to something that costs so much.

Last edited:
I just sorry that Weber hasn't stepped up and corrected the issue. That's a shame. I would try to straighten it out before trashing it.

Darren, if you are determined to get rid of it, at least post where you are in the UK and see if anyone on the board is local to you and could take it and fix it. To good a smoker to put in the trash. Please!!

Ouch! In the short time (somewhere around eight years) I've been a member here, I recall no less than a hundred members who have have had the same complaint, and they all resolved it with a bear hug. Maybe you just need to show your WSM some loving? :cool:

Darren - who have you spoken to in Weber UK. I've always found them very helpful.
Did you buy direct from Weber or from a supplier?
if you really do want to get rid of it - suggest you put it on eBay - they go for good prices there

Darren, "Life is not the way it’s suppose to be, It’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Why not just fix it and save the drama? You will be much happier that way.

I tried to escalate Darren's concerns to Weber UK via Twitter but apparently nothing came of it.

I understand the frustration and sometimes it's better to move on. I think Darren is probably in that situation at this point. But I echo the sentiments of others...it's too wasteful to just throw away. Better to list online for sale or even for free...someone else will be motivated to solve the problems and get some good use out of it.

Good luck,
Chris

Back