Save me from buying this ..

Not sure why you think you would need to wait until spring.
Looks like a morning pick up, afternoon CL post to me as long
as that door can be fixed easily.

I think you'll be biting off a lot more than you think. That thing looks like a total wreck. Sorry. Looks more like a parts grill IMO

I would look really carefully at the frame and the door mounts on the bottom. Unless you have metal working/welding experience, these being too far out of whack would reduce it to a parts grill, just as Larry says. Also look at the lid hinges and whether the lid closes decently. Is the firebox cracked or out of square? A lot of questions, so I would proceed cautiously. It is possible that the seller didn't take any time before taking pictures and that it is not that bad after all.

Looks like it would be worth looking at, but I wouldn't buy that without checking it out well before hand. It could be a real steal or a big pile of dog snot. If you are into rehabbing grills, it is probably worth $50 just for parts.

Looks like it would be worth looking at, but I wouldn't buy that without checking it out well before hand. It could be a real steal or a big pile of dog snot. If you are into rehabbing grills, it is probably worth $50 just for parts.

I'm hopeful there's another member in the area who'll take it and do that. I have a new to me Performer Deluxe in the middle of my shed making it impossible to get things in and out, and the garage has stuff on one side stopping me from getting the second car in there. If I had somewhere to store it whilst sorting it out, then I would be all over it. And the only way I'd get approval from my wife, would be if I sold my tidied up Genesis 1000 ... but it's a terrible time to sell a grill in Utah, as anyone who wanted one for summer has already bought one. So I'd have to store over winter.

If this one had been $50 when I got the Performer Deluxe, then I'd have gotten this first and sorted this out before experimenting with charcoal.

I do agree, that if it needs more than bolting back together, then it's a non-starter for me. I'm not about to weld things up or put ugly brackets and screws inside to brace it etc. I haven't checked, but surely the bottom cabinet is bolted together sheet metal though, and they wouldn't want to ship empty boxes to stores?

No info about if it's propane or NG either.

People on here have paid $50 for some pretty ratty 20+ year old genesis 1000's. This one (provided an hour with a wrench can get it all reassembled), would be a very quick ''restoration''.

I actually did pretty well last fall selling grills late into the season. Not great, but good. I was expecting to struggle, but that wasn't really the case.

People on here have paid $50 for some pretty ratty 20+ year old genesis 1000's. This one (provided an hour with a wrench can get it all reassembled), would be a very quick ''restoration''.

While true the rattiness has been mostly dirt and wood refinishing that unit looks like it was smashed quite badly

Frame looks straight one the loose door is moved.

Still, I agree, an inspection is needed, and someone with 1) a pickup to collect it in, 2) garage/shed space to clean it up and store it in until sold. I have neither.

I think it's still there. Wish I had the room for this project ... or a spare couple hours to collect it and disassemble it to spread it throughout the shed where it won't be noticed ...

Offer $25.00 and go get it. If they want to get rid of it, they will sell it for $25. The fact it is sitting there means they havent had any luck at $50. It certainly doesn't look like a grill that anyone would buy unless they are used to rehabbing them.

Offer $25.00 and go get it. If they want to get rid of it, they will sell it for $25. The fact it is sitting there means they havent had any luck at $50. It certainly doesn't look like a grill that anyone would buy unless they are used to rehabbing them.

100% in agreement! For $25 you won't have much to feel bad about:eek:!

Realistically: NO. It can be done, but you better have the time and a full tool set with the tools necessary to remove rusted on bolts and nuts. The best you could do practically is to remove the lid and internals. Maybe the wheels as well and maybe slip it in sideways on its back.

Do these Genesis grills come apart (with basic hand tools on the curb?) to fit into a station wagon? (Outback?)

If I can bring it home in parts, and slip it into the shed ...

I would just add that since that one has no side burner you CAN take the side trays off very easily - a few screws - that will make it a lot easier to slide in even if part of the grill still hangs out past the tailgate. I know this grill will fit completely in an old Chrysler minivan because our organization has one on which we keep all the seats down and use like a truck. I have been able to use it to do a number of grill pickups.

I would just add that since that one has no side burner you CAN take the side trays off very easily - a few screws - that will make it a lot easier to slide in even if part of the grill still hangs out past the tailgate. I know this grill will fit completely in an old Chrysler minivan because our organization has one on which we keep all the seats down and use like a truck. I have been able to use it to do a number of grill pickups.

It looks to not have the side burner. So that would make it an E-310?
I'll message and see. I just can't believe in an area of 1million people, that someone else hasn't grabbed this.
Maybe I'll be selling my redhead in spring.

What about RCPlaner grates? I can't work out if the Gen 1000 grates fit.

Thanks.

Do these Genesis grills come apart (with basic hand tools on the curb?) to fit into a station wagon? (Outback?)

YES, and fairly easily. I have transported at least 50 Weber gassers in the last few years in the back of a RAV4.
Simply pull the pins, remove the lid, grates, flavorizers, drip pan, and the innards of the side burner if it is a 330.
Secure the side burner lid with a bungy also if it is a 330. Removing the lid makes the grill about 40 inches tall.
Throw down an old blanket in your car, then lay the grill on its back, and slide it longways. I have a truck that I
haul most grills in, but my wife and I have become quite proficient in transporting grills in the RAV. I keep three
furniture pads in the fold down storage along with pliers, screw drivers, trash bags (for grates and drip pans) and
disposable gloves. We go to the city every Saturday night for dinner, and most times wind up coming home with
a Gennie, WSM, Performer, or just a few old kettles.

It looks to not have the side burner. So that would make it an E-310?
I'll message and see. I just can't believe in an area of 1million people, that someone else hasn't grabbed this.
Maybe I'll be selling my redhead in spring.

What about RCPlaner grates? I can't work out if the Gen 1000 grates fit.

Thanks.

No. The 300 series grates are a little larger. You will have to check, but I think Dave Santana (rcplanebuyer) makes those, too. The original Weber OEM stainless rods for that grill are not that bad and with some hard work can be cleaned up nicely.

Back