Sauce for Pulled Pork

Does anyone have a good sauce recommendation for PP sandwiches? I am having a family get together this weekend and cooking a couple of butts on the WSM. I don't like sauces that are too sweet. Family probably wouldn't like anything too spicy.

Stubbs regular isn't very sweet, and just a little spicy.

Lots of folks really like Blues Hog Tennessee Red, which is a sort of a western N. Carolina sauce, pretty thin and vinegary, but a good bit sweeter than the usual sort.

Head Country isn't too sweet, and we like it on everything.

Big Bob Gibson's red sauce is really good.

....That's about all I can think of that we ever use, unless I take the time to make my own.

Personally, I like ...

2 parts Sweet Baby Ray's
2 parts Apple Juice
1 part Apple Cider Vinegar
Warm to blend.

No. 5 Sauce is popular ...

1 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Meat Drippings
1 tablespoon Worchestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon Rub
Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

No. 5 is very good, and easy to customize to your liking. Try it out!

I reduced the vinegar, and added a little lime zest.

I like this one with PP:

2 c ketchup
1/2 c apple juice
1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 c brown sugar
3 T yellow mustard
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)

It's a good combo of vinegar, spicy, sweet but not too strong in any one category. Much better if made the day before and refrigerated overnight.

This works for me. I also use it on grilled chicken.

1/2 cup ketchup

1/4 cup white or cider vinegar

1 small onion, chopped fine

1 clove garlic, crushed

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine ingredients in a medium-sized saucepan. Cook over medium heat to

a boil, stirring constantly.

2. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.

Very similar to #5 sauce.

Not sure if you can get it there but Williamson Bros. sauce is all I use on PP. Not too sweet, vinegar based.

Originally posted by Sean S.:
I second No. 5.

I up the vinegar percentage in my version!

And I'm the exact opposite in that I reduce the vinegar.

All my sauces these days all start with No. 5 as the base. Lately I've been adding Apple Butter, Mr. Yoshida's sauce, and some honey. Amazing flavor.

I use Big Bob Gibson's Red, and cut it with about 1 part vinegar to 2 parts sauce just to thin it out and tone down the sweetness.

It's all about preferences - I really like a western NC sauce (vinegar, ketchup, black pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, kosher salt and brown sugar) on pulled pork with a nice sweet cole slaw. The smokiness of the meat, the crunchiness of the slaw, touch of sweetness in the slaw and the slightly tart flavor of the sauce, with a hint of heat - WOW!

Gotta go guys - I got hungry all the sudden!

Pat

Are you wanting to make it yourself, patrick? Better, if you do, as you can avoid the overcooked flavor of commercial sauces, which comes from the processing (a regulatory issue) and the (over)use of already-processed tomato paste and purée.

Try the No 5 with the addition of some meat drippings (and some fruit as well, imo). Very easy to make and you can adjust it any way you want.

Miss Piggy's, my personal favorite...it's pretty hot and very thick. To thin, just add more vinegar. To cut the heat, just adjust the hot sauce and the cayenne.

1 cup mustard
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar, light
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce, dark
2 tablespoons butter

Originally posted by Lew:
Not sure if you can get it there but Williamson Bros. sauce is all I use on PP. Not too sweet, vinegar based.

Big 2nd on the Williamson Bros.! When I buy a bottle I remove about 1.5 tablespoon and replace with Tabasco and give it a good shake. Gives it a little kick that everyone seems to love and thins it out juuuust a bit more, making it perfect for PP.

Back