Santa Maria Grill - Finished!!!

Karl Repsher

TVWBB Fan
I installed the cable to lower and raise the grill Saturday morning and I separated drumsticks from thighs and marinated 30# of RSC chicken legs to grill that afternoon.

Here is my Santa Maria Style Grill in Tahiti.

mm80.jpg

The rooster is my work buddy, I eat a lot of peanuts in the shell and he always comes around to be fed.

7tmn.jpg

I had a few problems with my first cook, mainly I was using mango branches of 1" to 2" diameter and they burned up quickly and didn't leave any coals, so I was constantly raising and lowering the grate to add wood, second problem, that didn't hit me 'til this morning, I had all the vents wide open, ...duh, anyway no pics, didn't happen, so this is from today, RSC grease, ...with all the work I went through last night I was busier than a tuba player three bars behind, so I didn't have time to take more pics, I hope you are not too disappointed.

a2c7.jpg

I found out cooking with wood definitely has a learning curve, I'll hunt up some larger wood this week, I use wood because we don't have briquettes here and the lump is mediocre and expensive, the RSC turned out very good, we distributed it to the neighbors, first time they had anything like it (they only know soy sauce for marinating) and they liked it, ...next weekend it will be a tri-tip, I'll be prepared and take some cooking pics.

Thanks for following my build,

Karl

"I didn't have time to take more pics, I hope you are not too disappointed." You aint getting away that easy bro...We demand pics of that beast in action :cool:

A Super cool build! Im really jealous. A handy man like yourself could always cook up some lump using the barrel method.

Looking forward to se more of that grill!

Your grill looks cool.
I look forward to seeing more cooks on your Santa Maria. Grill

Great looking setup Karl, I'm very impressed. For sure we all want to see action pictures. What type of wood are you using to cook on?

Thanks all for the kind words, I was kinda bummed it didn't work like planned, but I've found the solution and already jazzed for next Saturday's cook, we had some left over RSC that we nuked for dinner last night and that great aroma filled the house, as always this recipe is good.

Wolgast, I promise more pics in the future, see the blue barrel in the second pic, that's gonna be my retort, I've got all the materials, just need to find the time.

Thanks,

Karl

Thanks all for the kind words, I was kinda bummed it didn't work like planned, but I've found the solution and already jazzed for next Saturday's cook, we had some left over RSC that we nuked for dinner last night and that great aroma filled the house, as always this recipe is good.

Wolgast, I promise more pics in the future, see the blue barrel in the second pic, that's gonna be my retort, I've got all the materials, just need to find the time.

Thanks,

Karl

I guess in a way I'm glad there are no action pictures. Had Karl posted a picture of 30 pound of RSC on this setup, I would just sit here and stare at the picture all day long and not get any work done.

Karl in my mind you are not even within 1000 miles from anywhere. And you improvise and do things that just blow my mind. Can't wait for the next post.

Karl in my mind you are not even within 1000 miles from anywhere. And you improvise and do things that just blow my mind. Can't wait for the next post.

Karl, try using guava wood. It's a hard wood and is used in Hawaii for smoking and making charcoal.

al

Karl, what you've done is Fantastic!! Most chums (like me) would simply go out and BUY the dang grill...
I would LOVE to cook on a grill like that ;)
You, Sir, are an inspiration to many and I'm in front of the line!
I wish I could send you wood and briquettes....

OUTSTANDING Work! Please do not get discouraged.... :eek:

Back