Sam's club prime brisket $5.14 per pound. Is that a good price?

Brisket was $5.14 a pound. And it was their members mark prime. The sign said only 10% cattle get to qualify for their prime.

The brisket I was eyeballing was between 11 and 12 lb so the price came to like 60 bucks and change but I did not pull the trigger, I went with the pork but instead.

Anyway, I just wondering if $5.14 a pound was a good price.

Costco Prime was $4.99# last week. $3.49# used to be a good price pre pandemonium. Low and slow on a brisket yields a great result on Choice too. You have to get to 203° so personally, I wouldn’t pay a premium for Prime if Choice was available for less money. Your call. You’re still going to trim off 10% fat pre-cook. If you need an official taste tester, I can arrange to get to FL with some advance notice. LMK 🤣😆🤗

Last edited:
Hard to say what's a good price anymore or where it's going. Every angle of every industry is riding the covid excuse train and prices are up across the board. Last brisket that I bought before this mess was about $3.50 a lb for prime, not that long ago. Not sure if they'll get back down or not. I think that our Sam's was up closer to $6 a couple of weeks ago for prime. If I really needed one right now I'd go for the choice and try it out. Isn't choice all that Snows uses?

Charlie

Prices of meat are all over the place. But mostly up. I was in Costco yesterday and Prime Brisket was well over $5. Given the amount of fat and the shrinkage, I was getting about 40% by weight, of finish/cooked meat. That means a 15lb brisked trims and cooks to 6lbs. So, using $5/lb as our example, the store cost would be $75 and the price per lb finished cooked is $12.50. For that price, I'd much rather get tri-tip and get a much better cooked vs raw ratio.

Last time I checked the price at costco was Nov 6th, 2021

USDA prime packers were $4.19 lb. Swift brand vacuum sealed in the 18 lb range.

I was thinking about making pastrami, but I didn't pull the trigger.

That price isn't that great but it's not that terrible either. I'd pay it, but I wouldn't do it that often.
Yep, for a whole packer you pay less compared to a well trimmed flat which can go upwards of 8 bucks a # or more depending on where you live.

Back