Rye Whiskey Recommendations

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Had a great Manhattan the other day so I started reading-up on recipes (I've traditionally made mine with Makers Mark) and the traditional Manhattan appears to be made using Rye Whiskey. Anyone have a recommendation for a good Rye Whiskey? Something in the range of a Makers Mark or Knob?

My mom was a manhattan drinker , but she wasn't fussy about what ingredients were in it. Canadian club or even bourbon was acceptable.
To me , the best rye whiskey I have tasted is Old Overholt , and I believe that would compare favorably with makers mark or knob creek as far as being well crafted sipping whiskey.

Theres a small batch rye out of Iowa called "Templetons prohibition era", if you can find it I highly recommend it.

Looks like I can get Templetons locally. I'll start off with that, thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll report back.

Something in the range of a Makers Mark or Knob?

Look like we have the same affections! MM and Knob Creek are my favorites. I haven't tried rye whiskey and probably won't - the reason being I tried some rye beer (Ruthless Rye by Sierra Nevada Brewery) and it did not sit well. For some reason I got a fever and chills lasting about 24 hours. I didn't connect it to the beer at the time, until I had some Ruthless Rye again a week later and the same thing happened. Bummer, because it's a great tasting beer.

Big fan of the Templeton Rye, looking forward to trying others. Thanks for the recommendations
photo-8.jpg

My favorite is still Wisers Deluxe. It used to be labeled "10 yrs old" but that has recently been removed... probably not as good as it used to be but I keep coming back to it after trying others...

Keep in mind anything labelled 10/15/16 yr old ISN'T (in what we think of as a "real" year).

They put it through a warm/hot/cool/cold cycle while in storage. To simulate a year of the four seasons.
Do it once: 1 yr old
do it twice: 2 yr old

Etc
Maybe a filtering in between but you get the picture.

Unless it's some chateau lafitte 1935, that's how they do it, simplisticly speaking.

Last edited:
I inherited two old bottles of rye from my dad. One is Schenley's(sp?)Order of Merit. It has an excise seal that reads 1964 and I have a bottle of Crown Royal with an excise seal of 1966.

I don't know if I will ever open them or what event would be the catalyst to do so.

Ken

Don't know that it "gets better" in a glass bottle.

I know for a fact it can evaporate. I found an mini-size bottle (those mini bottles you get attached to normal size 26ers of rye) in a desk drawer. It was half full yet had never been opened. It was in there about 5 yr I think.

Last edited:
Crown Royal would be my first choice - 40 Creek which is produced local to me in Grimsby ON. is a fine whiskey as well - especially their Copper Pot. Collingwood is another one I've been meaning to try and have heard good things about. These I reserve for just "neat" or "on the rocks".....if you bring coke to my house the CR goes away and the CC comes out for your mixing pleasure ;).

Keep in mind anything labelled 10/15/16 yr old ISN'T (in what we think of as a "real" year).

They put it through a warm/hot/cool/cold cycle while in storage. To simulate a year of the four seasons.
Do it once: 1 yr old
do it twice: 2 yr old

Etc
Maybe a filtering in between but you get the picture.

Unless it's some chateau lafitte 1935, that's how they do it, simplisticly speaking.

Is that really true?. You mean johnny walker black isn't really aged in a barrel for 12 calendar years? I'm shocked. Seriously.

Back