Rye Whiskey Recommendations

I know for a fact that a certain alcohol product is "aged" that way. No reason why rye should be any different. I can't say who due to confidentiality reasons.

After all, is it deceitful? The purpose is to obtain a smoother product (I suppose). This "aging" (plus whatever else--filtering for example--it certainly does the job.

And you pay a premium for that smoother product, however it is made.

Last edited:
Keep in mind anything labelled 10/15/16 yr old ISN'T (in what we think of as a "real" year).

They put it through a warm/hot/cool/cold cycle while in storage. To simulate a year of the four seasons.
Do it once: 1 yr old
do it twice: 2 yr old

Etc
Maybe a filtering in between but you get the picture.

Unless it's some chateau lafitte 1935, that's how they do it, simplisticly speaking.

This is the first I have heard of this. I'd love to see a source because I'm really curious.

According to http://www.whiskyadvocate.com/whisky_resources.asp, all that's said about an age statement is that it reflects the age of the youngest whisky in the bottle. Nothing about redefining the meaning of the word "year."

How old is it?
If a whiskey has an age statement on the label, then all the whiskey in that bottle must be at least that old. For example, if a distillery combines 12, 15, and 18 year old barrels of whiskeys, the age statement on the label can’t be more than 12 years old. Remember: whiskey only ages in the barrel, not in the bottle.

Back