Rusted grates

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a 2 month old WSM and the top and bottom grates have some rust ! Should I call weber would YOU ? And should I expect them to replace them ? or is this NO BIG DEAL the rust that is ?

It has been stored in my garage cleaned after every use and put away dry with all vents open and covered !

First - Did you register your product with Weber? I find that those that haven't registered, have a little more difficult time with CS. DON'T GET ME WRONG HERE; Weber CS is absolutely phenomenal when it comes to taking care of issues. What I'm talking about here is that they may ask you to send them back (at their cost of course - but a hassle none the less) as opposed to simply sending new ones (which they will do any way). I would absolutely call them and talk to them. Take some pictures as well and offer to send them the pictures. I deal with plating a lot in my profession and I would tend to believe that something went haywire in the process if you can see rust after 2 months.

Happy Cookin'!!!

This is exactly why I DON'T clean my grates after each use.

I leave the door off and let the charcoal get real hot to burn the gunk off the grates, knock off the crust with a wire brush, and let the greasy residue protect against rust. Before using next time, I'll wipe the grate with a paper towel before putting on the meat. Ditto with the OTG.

I've had rusty grates happen too, but ya live and learn.

O ya all my cookers get registered the day I get them ! I called and Weber come thru again . They said there is no way they should of rusted that fast ! They are sending new ones!Don't want the old one back I asked 1

bUT say IF you was to say need a new lid it would have to go back . I assume they would do the fed x thing and have them pick it up prepaid by them postage ! and she did have to check to see if that was somthing they wanted back ! So The cust service reps HAVE a list Weber wants returned now ! NOT all parts are on the list but it sounds to me like body parts of the cooker ARE .

I think they would pay the frieght because they did on another thread last week a gentleman was saying in his thread ! Not a big deal to me looks like they were sending out to many parts and decided to 1 kina crack down and be sure that there not being scammed ! And also to try and fix the problems a good thing IMHO .

Anyway Weber came thru again with great cust service !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
This is exactly why I DON'T clean my grates after each use.

I leave the door off and let the charcoal get real hot to burn the gunk off the grates, knock off the crust with a wire brush, and let the greasy residue protect against rust. Before using next time, I'll wipe the grate with a paper towel before putting on the meat. Ditto with the OTG.

I've had rusty grates happen too, but ya live and learn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't clean mine as in soap and water just burn off the crud and wipe off is all so there IMO no way they should of rusted ! I use my weed burnner on a low flame to get the crud off and or lose then use a brass brush on them wipe off and put back in the covered kettle stored INSIDE my garage .

From now on I will wipe them down with some cooking oil befor putting them back in the grill for storage . Never had a stored inside Weber grate rust like this befor ! Iam not beyond cooking with a little rust on the grate but not on a new cooker !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guy Wallace:
I have a 2 month old WSM and the top and bottom grates have some rust !.......It has been stored in my garage cleaned after every use and put away dry with all vents open and covered ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So we both burn and scrape after cooking...why didn't you say so?

I don't know why, but to silly me, and according to Webster's, "cleaned" clearly implies "washing."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guy Wallace:
I have a 2 month old WSM and the top and bottom grates have some rust !.......It has been stored in my garage cleaned after every use and put away dry with all vents open and covered ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So we both burn and scrape after cooking...why didn't you say so?

I don't know why, but to silly me, and according to Webster's, "cleaned" clearly implies "washing." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I burned off the nickle plating they put on them with my weed burner ! NBD but I bet thats why they rusted after thinking about it ! Dang things should take a little heat without losing the palting IMO but now that I know it I will just buy me a gal a veg oil to keep in my garage and wipem down with that after burning the craapola off .

Weber really outa put better plating on them OR offer some SS ones as an after market thing IMHO .

I never washed my grates in the 22" kettle and i wont in the wsm.

I brush em every time before the meat goes on ofc but thats it.

Why cleam em?

If a chicken raw=bad but cooked ok!

so the grates dont follow this?

Low maintenance thats why i go Weber,dont try to fix a thing that aint broke.

And rust on my kettle no way 3 years in swedish medium/hard winter(-15/+3c)medium warm summers(+13-+33c),dont cover,clean after each seasson by bruching the bowl/lid thats is.

My performer stands under a roof but if its windy it gets soaked any way.

Empty the ashes once in a while couse the suck in moisture,other then that dont be so picky.

Bless//Me

Agreed, Guy.

I can't believe the torch burned the nickel plating off. I would've gotten them to send me new ones as well. Heck, I read on here of weber sending folks all kinds of parts that have simple issues that the consumer could (should) solve, so it's the least they could do to send you some new grates.

You don't say whether you've got an 18.5" or 22.5" WSM. I know Weber used to sell a stainless grate for the 22.5" kettle that will work as the top grate in a 22.5" WSM. I don't know if they ever made an equivalent grate for their 18.5" kettles. You could call Customer Service at 800-446-1071 and find out.

There would be no SS bottom grates.

But you can't subject much of anything to those intense flames from a torch and expect it to not rust. The stainless Flavorizer bars in my Weber Summit rust.

Regards,
Chris

I have the 22 Thanks for letting me know I will call monday and see about the SS top grate !
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I use the weed burner on very low just enough to cut the crud and losen it up IMO perty crapy plating if thats all it a take I weld and work with metal alot . So much so I may even just get some stock and make some real grates
icon_biggrin.gif

But Weber is sending new ones so its not a big thing at any rate !

i wash mine with soap and water after every cook (and there have been a lot over the past few months) and there are no signs of rust.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jason.yee:
i wash mine with soap and water after every cook (and there have been a lot over the past few months) and there are no signs of rust. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet u dont have any rust becouse OF the cleaning,but personaly i think its a waste of time.

heard the "this one gonna serve me my whole life so i better take care of it" discussion before,and if i have to get a new grate after 10 years becouse i dident clean it then im still the winner. the soap/time spent on doing it after every cook vs the money for a new grate...well.

But then again who im i to tell you what to do.(if you like the grates shiny dont stop what you doing)

Take care
icon_smile.gif

Bless

Back