Rust on inside of a Genesis 310 from 2007-2010

Chris Hosston

TVWBB Member
Hi. This weekend I bought a used Genesis that was is much better shape than mine for parts. My frame and bottom inside were rusted out. The new one has no rust. Can I use wax on the inside of the bottom of the grill to protect the sides and bottom from rusting out? I plan on keeping it covered as well.

I think waxing the painted cabinetry is a very good idea. Anything to repel water and moisture. Covered may help, but the best would be a dry location out of the elements. Even a small shed would be a benefit.

IMO a design flaw for front control E3xx grills is that rain can easily find its way inside. It just drips off the end caps inside. This flaw may be the same for side control 300s in the 2007 to 2010 timeframe.

Another flaw is the "floor" inside the cabinet allows water to pool up.

Another area of concern is the hole cutout for the LP tank. Over time it will get scuffed and scratched due to the tank being moved in and out. It is awkward to schlep a 20 lb tank and get it to catch on the hanger without scuffing up the floor so if the grill is not out of the rain.

I roll my 330 under a covered patio so it is staying dry. A friend has one out in the rain under cover and it collects a bit of moisture.

wax might help, yet I think annual inspection and repainting of the cabinet where needed may be a better long term strategy.

Last edited:
I've been lucky with my (and FIL's) E-210s in that there's little to no rust inside the cabinets. I've thought about placing nylon washers between the side and bottom panels to raise them up (maybe .03-.04") to allow for draining and minimize pooling, but it's a little difficult now that the grills are assembled.

IMO a design flaw for front control E3xx grills is that rain can easily find its way inside. It just drips off the end caps inside. This flaw may be the same for side control 300s in the 2007 to 2010 timeframe.

Another flaw is the "floor" inside the cabinet allows water to pool up.

Another area of concern is the hole cutout for the LP tank. Over time it will get scuffed and scratched due to the tank being moved in and out. It is awkward to schlep a 20 lb tank and get it to catch on the hanger without scuffing up the floor so if the grill is not out of the rain.

I roll my 330 under a covered patio so it is staying dry. A friend has one out in the rain under cover and it collects a bit of moisture.

wax might help, yet I think annual inspection and repainting of the cabinet where needed may be a better long term strategy.
Exactly, I think wax will be only minimally effective. The areas that rust are usually in corners, seams and edges. I think that if you are truly worried about extending the life of the cabinetry, you should take the bottom, back and sides out and throw a couple good coats of rust converter and then gray paint on them. The Massey Fergusen Rustoleum gray farm and implement paint is a dead on match.
Better yet, hit the edges and creases with some Por15 or other rust preventative before repainting. That should extend the life a long time.

Exactly, I think wax will be only minimally effective. The areas that rust are usually in corners, seams and edges. I think that if you are truly worried about extending the life of the cabinetry, you should take the bottom, back and sides out and throw a couple good coats of rust converter and then gray paint on them. The Massey Fergusen Rustoleum gray farm and implement paint is a dead on match.
Better yet, hit the edges and creases with some Por15 or other rust preventative before repainting. That should extend the life a long time.

Agree. Wax is not the best solution. It works well for knocking the glare of shotguns for waterfowl hunting, but not for preventing rust.

Spent 20 years dealing with rust on ships. In the boiler rooms and engine rooms of ships. 1200 psi at 975 degrees I have spent a lot of time behind a needle gun. And in gloves of a sandblasting cabinet getting rid of rust on steam valves. Kind of therapeutic in a way watching the rust getting blown away and wish I had one available to me now.

Has taken me a couple of months to get parts for my Genesis and in the long game kind of wish that I would just gotten the Costco replacement. But I grew up with bread bags for socks as waterproofing for my boots. And keep the rubber bands from broccoli and bread ties in a drawer in the kitchen. Because.

Fluid film works for many vehicles and farm implements to prevent rust. In the middle of the Side by Side shoots right now and the parts have come in for my grill finally but don't have time to work on it. Was at Medford Wi. last week for the Great Northern and getting ready for the Duluth Double Gun shoot now. Then I can put my grill back together.

Floor pan plywood is already cut out and primed. Picked up the left panel from evil bay as an open box.

52930792320_8bd3521055_b.jpg

52930858623_1558fe69e0_b.jpg

Come on man. Anywhere there are slots for vents even on the replacement panel there is no paint. It was hit peridenclar to the surface when painted, with no primer or angle to paint the exposed metal on the edges. And raw metal is exposed. And the rust creeps and crawls both North and South.

Spraying Fluid Film inside of both left and right frames and rotating them to drench all internal surfaces.

Once I have assembled it, and sprayed Fluid Film on all surfaces once a year I will put down a tarp and spray everything with Fluid Film after removing the lid. Still waiting for stainless steel hardware to come in. And wipe it off so it isn't so sticky, but still leaves a protective coating . It penetrates with a high creep equal to Kroil and I will hit the floor pan especially hard. It works with wood as well as metal.

I am an accountant and definitely not a metal expert. I agree that wax would only do a little. I guess a little is better than nothing. However, I totally agree with the disassembly, spraying with rust reformer and adding more coats of paint. Those seams and the areas around the drain slots/tank opening are clearly the notorious problem areas.

I had a shop nearby that was willing to make a run of 24 stainless bottoms and 24 stainless backs for about $70 a piece. That's the real fix. I was impressed, but the logistics of lining up interested parties and especially the shipping issues dissuaded me from doing it. :cry:

Hi. This weekend I bought a used Genesis that was is much better shape than mine for parts. My frame and bottom inside were rusted out. The new one has no rust. Can I use wax on the inside of the bottom of the grill to protect the sides and bottom from rusting out? I plan on keeping it covered as well.
Always use a cover when it’s not in use and, if at all possible, keep it out of the elements, such as under your roof’s overhang, if you have one. I speak from experience. Mine is a 2008 Genesis E-310.

IMG_0211.jpeg
IMG_0231.jpeg

If push ever came to shove, however, the replacement panels are *still* available through Weber and other online merchants.

Back