Running an empty water pan

Rob JJ

Hi all - in an attempt to make cleanup easier I've finally made the move that many people here have and am going without a water pan. Unfortunately, it feels like I'm being forced to learn how to run a smoker all over again. The pit continually runs way too hot and I have trouble bringing the temperatures back down.

My setup:
18.5" WSM
Empty water pan, inside wrapped in foil
Pit Viper fan
Fireboard 2
Attempted to seal the holes that the fan is mounted to using plugs

Last smoke was ribs. Smoker holds steady at 275. Put the ribs on and the inflow of oxygen makes it go crazy, pumping it up to ~320. Shut the fan opening and the other two openings were already closed. Couldn't get it below 300 for hours.

I know water helps regulate the temperature better but reading through Harry Soo's discussions seem like I should be able to control the temp the way I have it set up. With a full water pan I can run the smoker perfectly fine, with or without ATC. Any thoughts on how to regulate temp better with an empty water pan?

Some fill the water pan with sand. I wrap a big terra cota platter in and put it in the water pan.

You just need something to act as a heat sink.

I messed with ATC for a while and just went back to naturally aspirated cooking because it really doesn't require much attention and I enjoy it that way. It sounds like combustion air is entering into the cooker in a fashion that is non-typical.

Personally, I never tried water in the pan. In my 18.5, I use a piedmont pan when I need indirect heat. Don't be afraid to adjust the exhaust to help control your air flow and ultimately temperature. Make sure your cooker body sections, door and lid seal up good and don't allow uncontrolled air infiltration. You'll get it mastered.

I always use water in a foiled water pan. A lot of the water evaporates during the cook and the rendered fat will be there whether I use water or not. Cleanup will be just about the same with or without the water.

I always use water in a foiled water pan. A lot of the water evaporates during the cook and the rendered fat will be there whether I use water or not. Cleanup will be just about the same with or without the water.
This and I turn the chimney upside down use the smaller end and put about 20 bricks to start with. I have a old coffee/food can and dump the bricks in pull the can with channel locks and let it rip. I will probably always use water that's how it was designed.

I tinkered with a couple ATC's briefly but that was a while ago. As mentioned by @Joe Anshien, if there's an opportunity to start with fewer lit coals you might consider doing so. Another practice that I adopted (and you may already do this) was to not turn-on the ATC until after the pit temp approached my target temp by natural means. For me, I feel this helped because the fan did not run at or near 100% when I started the unit.

But also as you noted, removing the lid generates greater oxygen flow and can affect your temp. Hence, it's good to get in and out asap; like a pit stop.

Good luck!

Could one of you that put a terracotta pot in sand and wrap it take a picture sometime and post it? I am having trouble visualizing it.

Could one of you that put a terracotta pot in sand and wrap it take a picture sometime and post it? I am having trouble visualizing it.
I'm lazy but it fits right inside of the bowl. Take a tape measure and measure yours and purchase the terra cotta at a slightly smaller diameter. Or take the bowl with you to the store, Lowes or whatever.

Thanks guys - I lit about half a chimney and dumped it in. I held 275 for 15m before opening the top to put the ribs on. I'll try fewer lit briquettes.

Don't think the ATC is the problem since I can hold temps fine before opening the lid. Just wanted to post my full setup for people to brainstorm.

I have not found this to be the case, at least on brisket which is my most common smoke. Disposing of water with tons of rendered fat is a different exercise than balling up foil and throwing it out.

I use the same setup except UltraQ rather than your ATC. I put high heat foil tape over the vents/dampers on the bottom and cover all holes except the one that has the UltraQ Adaptor. That reduces any air infiltration other than the fan. This seems to work well and keeps the temp close to what I input on the UltraQ. I also start with the top vent wide open, then close it about half way when I get up to temp. The only problem is that the 22" doesn't like to get over about 300 degrees using this setup so I have to prop open the lid with a stick if I want to cook high heat. Hope that helps.

Always keep the top vent 100% open
When I had WSMs I controlled runaway temps with bottom and top vents. It never affected the meat taste and it brought down the temp quicker. When I first tried it I thought I was gambling with messing up the meat. That was never a problem. While keeping the top vent at 100% is the ideal, perfection is the enemy of good enough.

Back