Running a WSM during the winter

Michael Pompey

Hey WSM experts maybe you guys can help me out.

I've been having difficulties getting more than 11 hours running my WSM during the winter.
My current 18.5 WMS is unmodded, although I'm thinking about doing the nomex seals around lid,
and the door. I currently use a Maverick 732 to monitor temps of the food and smoker.

How do you guys set up yours for running during the winter? Yesterday I was only able to
get 11 hours out of a full ring of Kingsford Blue with a handful of dried wood chunks,
(cherry and oak), running at 250, no water in pan, 1 vent at bottom open,and exhaust
vent at 3/4. The temp here in Philly was around 45 degrees and a little breezy (12mph).

I got the WMS last June as an anniversary present and didn't really start with long
cooks until the fall. I've read of people getting 19 hours out of their 18.5 WSM and I'm
wondering just what am I doing wrong.

Any help will be apreciated.

TL:DR
Having trouble getting long duration cooks in my unmodded WSM during
colder weather here in Philly.

250, no water in pan, 1 vent at bottom open,and exhaust vent at 3/4. The temp here in Philly was around 45 degrees and a little breezy (12mph)
I've cooked in 45 degrees a couple times. I don't like how you're doing your bottom vent(s) I've gone way longer than 11 hours by:

Filling the charcoal ring to the top
Dumping about a dozen fully lit charcoal spread out over the top (basically about two inches apart)
I let it get going for maybe five minutes and I assemble my WSM
I let it go another five minutes assembled (less if it comes to the temp I want to cook at)
I put my food in, I add my wood chunks
I close all three vent until just a sliver is left open, I leave my top vent open
I will easily get 16 hours running like this. I know I can get more, but 16 hours was my longest cook. After I'm done with the WSM, I open up the vents fully so that it gets real hot, so I can scrape my grates clean

Back