Rub will close the pores of meat

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
According to chef Tim Love.

"Packing the seasoning — pushing salt, pepper and spices into the meat with your fingers — will close the pores of the meat."

Thoughts or facts anyone?

Agreed Dave, so lets change it to surface of the meat.
Hopefully Tim won't mind
icon_smile.gif

He says "Packing the seasoning — pushing salt, pepper and spices into the meat with your fingers — will close the pores of the meat. When you grill, this allows the seasoning to form a crust on meat, sealing in the juices and creating that smoky seasoned taste."

To me that conflicts with his statement to not pack the seasoning when smoking meat. I want the juices sealed in. But what do I know. I'm not a chef.

Love uses peanut oil, spreading it over both sides of the steak.
“Never olive oil,” he said. “Olive oil is expensive and has a lower flash point than peanut oil, and peanut oil has a wonderful nutty flavor.”

Tim needs to get his olive oil at Sam's, it's not so expensive. Olive oil adds a nice flavor even if it's not so nutty like Tim.
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Packing the seasoning — pushing salt, pepper and spices into the meat with your fingers — will close the pores of the meat." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Completely Ridiculous statement.

30 minutes total cooking time? I ain't no chef, but I think if I did that it would be a charred mess. Does anyone cook a steak that long? Even a 2 inch thick steak? ReallY?

I think we've been through this discussion before. Clogging the pores goes along with the smoke absorption myth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tim needs to get his olive oil at Sam's, it's not so expensive. Olive oil adds a nice flavor even if it's not so nutty like Tim. Razzer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

be wary of inexpensive olive oils. there's plenty of mislabeling and unscrupulous practices in the olive oil industry.

flavors in olive oil are heat sensitive. If you are going to use olive oil to cook with, realize you're doing it mostly for health benefits.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think we've been through this discussion before. Clogging the pores goes along with the smoke absorption myth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry to bring something that has been overly discussed before, it just stuck me as funny and thought I would share.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sorry to bring something that has been overly discussed before, it just stuck me as funny and thought I would share. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish there was any easier way to keep track of all the interesting threads I've been a part of, as themes often repeat. I'd have like to link the previous pore discussions here.

One thing that I've noticed around here over time, is a general reduction in bad information. Either we have successfully educated everyone, or we've scared off the nuts.

It's not about Tim saying that meat has pores, it's about his belief that rubbing in the spices, etc. helps form a crust and seal in the moisture.

Thought it was a new slant, but guess I was wrong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I think we've been through this discussion before. Clogging the pores goes along with the smoke absorption myth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tim needs to get his olive oil at Sam's, it's not so expensive. Olive oil adds a nice flavor even if it's not so nutty like Tim. Razzer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

be wary of inexpensive olive oils. there's plenty of mislabeling and unscrupulous practices in the olive oil industry.

flavors in olive oil are heat sensitive. If you are going to use olive oil to cook with, realize you're doing it mostly for health benefits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Canola oil is healthier than olive oil, and less expensive.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">his belief that rubbing in the spices, etc. helps form a crust and seal in the moisture. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that is certainly a new one.

I prefer to clog my meat pores with salt to seal in the juice
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Canola oil is healthier than olive oil, and less expensive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't aware of that, so I did a quick search and came up with this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Canola oil is manufactured at high temperatures, using a mechanical process that often involves toxic chemicals, like hexane. Canola oil is degummed, deodorized, bleached and further refined at high temperatures. These high temperatures can change the omega-3 content of the oil and can significantly raise the oil's concentrations of trans fatty acids and saturated fats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which goes along with what I understood to be the process for recovering oil from rapeseed as well as from recovering "olive" oil from the remainders of the first pressing.

What's often sold as inexpensive olive oil, is recovered oil that's blended with enough first press olive oil to give it a recognizable flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thoughts or facts anyone? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Another celeb chef working the crowd. Ironically there seams to be many similarities between the celeb chefs and politicians....and that's not good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Silvey:
30 minutes total cooking time? I ain't no chef, but I think if I did that it would be a charred mess. Does anyone cook a steak that long? Even a 2 inch thick steak? ReallY? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe he cooks his partially frozen?

I rarely do mine more than 10 minutes total (usually 1/2" thick and ~ 2 min/side. Medium. I used to be able to eat a 1 lb steak but that was when I was a bit more active
icon_wink.gif
. Now I split the same piece with my better half. Plus the "red meat" scare these days has me eating less anyways.

Those 2" steaks aren't steaks--they're small roasts.

This is a 28 oz "steak"
gallery_1_295_10784.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">overly discussed before </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are three types of visitors here. Newbies/oldies and everything else between. Occasional items being brought up again is not bad in that the non-oldies might have not seen it before. The search engine looking for topics can be time consuming and it's always easier to just throw something out there and hope it gets answered quickly.

Back