Rub will close the pores of meat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
I like to think that EVERYTHING I do, .... is the CORRECT way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If it works for me, then it's correct.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">... will close the pores of the meat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As discussed earlier, yes, meat has no pores, but if you do salt/season things before grilling it will tend to draw water out of the outer layers of cells. This is actually a great thing to do before you sear something. Searing works best when the meat is dry, as the grill/pan doesn't waste thermal energy boiling-off the surface water before starting to cause the Millard reaction. If possible, pat-dry your meat before you sear it.

That said, the idea that searing 'seals in the juice' is got to be one of the most often-repeated falsehoods in cooking. A nice brown crust isn't waterproof. It also doesn't cover the meat 100%. Searing adds flavor. Cooking meat to the proper time/temperature is what ensures that it will remain juicy.

Lastly, any high smoke-point oil is good for grilling. Canola oil is one of them, peanut oil works well too.

Many, many, many with "reps" repeat this and others. Always amazing to me how many don't take the time to actually - you know - LEARN about cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What would be an ideal choice of oil then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shaun, For a neutral oil I've been using avocado.

Back