Rub Suggestions

Joe Tacoma

TVWBB Member
Any good dry rubs that anyone suggests?

I really like Slap Yo Daddy's All Purpose rub and it has been the rub I have mostly used but its time to try new rubs. I recently ordered some Meat Mitch rub and Big Poppa Smokers Money Rub.

Meat Mitch was great on pork butt, and pretty good on beef short ribs and chicken. It has a more of a sweet smell and flavor than the Money Rub. What I liked about the Meat Mitch rub is that it doesn't get all stuck together in the container after a few weeks of opening it. I used the Money Rub on beef short ribs, chicken and then spare ribs. It was pretty good as well but this rub got stuck together about a week after opening it so I have to mix it back up with a knife. I am thinking of ordering the Cimarron Docs rub from Big Poppa Smokers next. Anyone have any dry rubs they like or recommend?

Joe...

My personal favorites are those from Simply Marvelous BBQ, as sold by Big Poppa Smokers. All of Stephan Franklin's (Simply Marvelous) rubs are excellent.

Bob

J, I looked up that Penzeys 3000, Then I found it had some great reviews. Now I want to try it. I hope their shipping cost is cheap otherwise I wont order it.

Bob. Thanks, I read that those are some of their best sellers on BPS. Ill give it one of those a try when I order my next batch of rubs. Any of Simply Marvelous' in particular that your recommend?

Joe...

Problem is.. they're all good.
I keep at least a bottle of each in the cabinet.
Some of it is purchased in 5 lb bags... (Sweet Seduction) ;)
Think layers !!!

ADDED : Although pricey (but not really considering what you get...) is the Simply Marvelous Rub Pack Special. You will end up using these on other foods too, besides BBQ... they are that good !!!

Bob

Last edited:
Bob, they're all good... thats a good problem to have. Those 5lb bags are a great deal and would probably last me over a year considering I usually cook for about 3 to 5 people.

Another vote for Oakridge. My wife got me a sampler pack and the Black Ops brisket rub for Christmas. Every one of their rubs I've tried has been outstanding. The Competition Beef & Pork rub is probably the best butt rub I've tried up to this point, and I'm always trying new rubs.

Hey Joe,

Lots of good suggestions from the folks who have replied so far. One brand which hasn't been mentioned yet, and I like quite a bit, is the EAT Barbecue line from Pellet Envy. "The Most Powerful Stuff" is an all purpose rub, while the "Zero To Hero" is a sweeter rub.

Hi Jerome,

I saw the ET Barbecue rub on Big Poppa Smokers site. Ill give that one a try too eventually as im just starting out. Thanks for the suggestions.

Just received the sample pack from Oak Ridge for $4.95 with free shipping, great deal. It includes Dominator Sweet Rib Rub, Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub, Game Bird & Chicken Rub, Competition Beef & Pork Rub, Santa Maria Grill Seasoning. They all smell really good.

Cant wait to try a few of these rubs this weekend. Planning on cooking a few slabs of spare ribs. Ill use Dominator Sweet Rib rub on one slab and Secret Weapon Pork&Chicken Rub on the other slab.

Have tried some (my Wifey should say TOO MANY), and for my personal taste, up to now I like:
1) for bird Big Boppa Smokers Money rub
2) for pork Oakridge and simplymarvelous
3) for brisket and short ribs SPOG and meatchurch
4) for steak oakridge carnecrosta or SP depends on mood.
These are my experiments

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk4kDNuE

I'm not a huge fan of the Black Ops. I've had it once on an otherwise well cooked brisket. It made it taste like store bought beef jerky. This was a competition brisket, though.

I'm a fan of just mixing up my own. There are plenty of ideas online, and you can tweak to your liking. Also, making your own is WAY cheaper.

Back