"Rub-less" Spares

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
On the spareribs I cooked today, I went for a "less is more" approach, and just used plain old salt & pepper instead of a dry-rub. I smoked them using wild apple wood, and long story short, the "rub-less" ribs made for very good eating. As intended, I could basically just taste pork, salt, pepper, and smoke. Sometimes it's nice to just get back to the basics.

-Jerome

Here are the spares about two-thirds of the way through the cook, taking on a nice color...

...and here are the ribs at the end of the cook, lightly glazed with some IQUE sauce I made using the recipe from the "Wicked Good Barbecue" book...

Lastly, here are the random bits of rib tips that were left over from trimming the spares to a St. Louis cut, which I smoked alongside the ribs, and chopped up at the end of the cook.

Good looking ribs. I like the idea for the rib tips. That would make a delicious sandwhich or filler for ABT's.

Very nice ribs Jerome. I'm with you on the keeping it simple with the seasoning. Nice pics.

What great looking spares. I'll have to try some without my homemade rub. Thanks for posting

Great looking ribs. I think everyone should try some S&P only ribs once. You would be surprised how good they are.

Back