Royal Oak Chef’s Select Hardwood Briquettes

I've got some ROCS going in the WSM presently for beef ribs.
Will report results in a cook post.

I was at Wally World yesterday and saw bags of Sam's Choice Professional large briq charcoal.
I tried this several years ago and can't recall if I liked it.

As George stated, wonder if it's the same stuff?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I tried this several years ago and can't recall if I liked it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My guess would be, if you can't recall if you liked it, you probably did not.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
I've got some ROCS going in the WSM presently for beef ribs.
Will report results in a cook post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob - I haven't yet tried out my ROCS yet, but I'm interested in hearing how your cook turned out with these briquettes. Again, as soon as I do a cook I'll report my results, as well.

Barret

Barret (or anyone) could you expand on the "ship to store" requirement? How do you get around that?

After a year or so of smoking I've still only used blue K and one bag of K comp. Used lump for grilling, but not smoking.

Thanks

Ok, I figured it out. Unfortunately the "ship to stores" are all in small towns surrounding San Diego. None in the city proper. Closest seems to be about 15 miles.

Can't say I'm very motivated at this point. Would like to try basic Royal Oak as my first move from blue K

A bit less expensive than the ROCS is Trader Joe's All Natural briquets (TJAN) which folks say is Rancher. TJAN is $6.99/18# YMMV, but it is good stuff and there is no shipping delay - if your store hasn't run out
icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I use Kindle brand charcoal. It is made by royal oak. The briquettes are bigger than Kingsford. Who cares if charcoal lights a little slower or faster really. If I was in a hurry I would use a gas grill!
icon_redface.gif
On a 14 hour smoke, does a few minutes matter? I get it at save-a-lot food stores and it is $4.99 for 18 lbs every day! Them blue bags of kingsford used to be 20 pounds, then down to 18, and I just noticed the other day that the "standard" go to bag of kingsford is 16.8 pounds! lol.. Of course it says this bag will last the same as, blah, blah , blah... who cares. Quit making the bags smaller, AND the size of the briquettes smaller. I had to buy another grate and bolt them together for when I do use kingsford them "LONG LASTING" (excuse for tiny charcoal) briquettes don't fall through the grate.
icon_eek.gif

Royal Oak also makes the Stubbs briquet. Royal Oak makes both large and small briquets. The large briquet sold under sams choice is of inferior quality compared to the chef select.

Actually Rendezvous in Memphis uses Chef Select but this isnt widely known because RO is similar to the CIA in that they are not big on publicity.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike tu:
Royal Oak also makes the Stubbs briquet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I learn something new every day.

I have a DoitBest a couple exits north of me. I've been in there, but don't recall looking at the charcoal. I'll have to swing by and get some if they carry it. I usually load up on Kingsford Blue from Home Depot during the sals at $0.25 per pound. I wouldn't mind trying something else. I filled the smoker with ash during my marathon 6 hour cook last weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott P.:
I usually load up on Kingsford Blue from Home Depot during the sals at $0.25 per pound. I wouldn't mind trying something else. I filled the smoker with ash during my marathon 6 hour cook last weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You get what you pay for

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mike tu:

I learn something new every day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me to! I always read that Cowboy made the Stubbs.

Tim

OK HOLD THE PHONE!

I went on Do-it-Best's web site, and they only show "Chef's Best" and not "Chef's Select".

The image of the Chef's Select bag states "100% Hardwood briquettes"

The image of the Chef's Best bag states "Premium blend charcoal briquetts"

Sounds fishy... Unless I can find the Chef's Select bags, I think I'll pass.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy C:
OK HOLD THE PHONE!

I went on Do-it-Best's web site, and they only show "Chef's Best" and not "Chef's Select".

The image of the Chef's Select bag states "100% Hardwood briquettes"

The image of the Chef's Best bag states "Premium blend charcoal briquetts"

Sounds fishy... Unless I can find the Chef's Select bags, I think I'll pass. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Website shows it as Chef's Best, but the bags upon receipt are Chef's Select (ROCS).
This is really all I use anymore. It is GREAT in a WSM. Very consistent, great aroma, low ash. Best charcoal available IMO.
You will not see it in the store. It is internet order only and ships to the store for free.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:

I learn something new every day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me to! I always read that Cowboy made the Stubbs.

Tim

Ok, the Stubbs bag says made by Cowboy. What is the source of the info that Stubbs is made by Royal Oak?

I tried my first bag of Royal Oak briquettes yesterday and found them to be better than Kingsford, but I did not think they were better than Stubbs. Since I now have a couple of bags of both, I will be comparing them head-to-head. And will add a bag of Rancher (Trader Joes) also. I'll start a new thread on that.

Rich

Back