Rotisserie

Did you stuff it with regular stuffing? Did you follow the Roadside Chicken recipe fully?

I gotta do another one of these soon. I did two last summer. They are so easy to do on a grill and the basket roto works perfectly for them. But, I was thinking about maybe doing two at a time the next time I do it.

I never stuff poultry. You have to over cook the bird to make the stuffing safe to eat. I always do "dressing" it's safer and IMO better

I did follow the roadside recipe with the one exception being I used black pepper. The chicken was stuffed with an onion for flavor. I quartered it and shoved it into the body cavity. I don't think it would be difficult at all to do two of these at one time. Plenty of room in the basket!

Cool. I may have to do a couple more one of these days now that the weather is warming up.
Larry, good point on "stuffing" the chickens. I hadn't thought about the fact that it would add a lot of time to the cook to get the internal temps high enough.

Spinning another one right now! I'm hoping to get this down to a "signature status" meal ... and this time I'm using the spit, not the basket. Should be a heck of a lot easier to clean. Also, I cleaned out a couple of disposable pans that people had brought cupcakes or something over in, so I have a throw away drip pan under this one. Getting better each time I think!

You can get 2 or 3 for a buck on those disposable pans at the Dollar Tree. It depends on the size as to how many you get per package.

Thank you sir, great information. I hate spending like 5 bucks for something I'm just going to throw in the garbage. Ask my wife about our paper towel arguments!!

LOL: She wants the name brand stuff that is $2.69 a roll and you want the generic stuff that is $0.89 a roll.

I consume less than 12 rolls a year on my own. It's a whole thing! Bird is almost done, good times!

Bruce, I will absolutely put pictures soon. It's a whole procedure as you know. However, this report is to say that the 9890 spit is INFINITELY easier to clean than the basket. The counterweight I believe made the rotations easier on the motor and overall Occam's Razor was accomplished: The simpler, the better. That said, the basket is good too, but for birds a little trussing and a straight spit were a LOT less back end effort.

Looking forward to the photos. But on my basket style roto, I found that you can clamp a vice grips to the outside left bar and adjust it to counter balance the off center piece of meat in the basket. Kind of Jed Clampet, but it works. I am not sure why they didn't include a counter balance with these rotos.

Pork

Last night, I did a rotisserie pork roast. It came out great! First, I cut deep slits in both sides of the meat and shoved garlic in there. Dry rub with salt, garlic powder and rosemary. Then trussed, and I did not need to remove the grates, as this roast was not touching the grates:

HAQlSE0.jpg

I did put a pan underneath, but later I discovered there was very little dripping, so probably not necessary:

SMTIsWB.jpg

Cooked for about 2 hours at around 350 or so, and at the end I took the pan away to get a nice glaze:

lJeEMAc.jpg

The finished product:

l4HXfQO.jpg

Yes! That looks like a real winner:) Making me hungry!!!

Rotisseries definitely bring some great benefits. Up to now I have never had the opportunity, but I am looking forward to using, very soon, one that I received in a trade.

Yep, get on it Jon, those rotos are awesome. At first, thought they were more of a gimick or only for very specialized cooks. But I have found that you can use them for so many things and the best thing about them is they cook extremely evenly and while the meat it rotating, it is constantly rebasting itself with juices that would have otherwise simply dripped off.

Bruce, I agree: Jon, you've got a world of flavor waiting for you! Plus, the rotisserie brings you into a slow cook, as opposed to high heat sear markings, etc.

Oh, and Bruce, seriously this style is SO much easier to clean than the basket.

Thyde, I am going to bring mine in and clean it up real good. It looks brand new aside from a little gunk on the little brackets that hold the forks on the skewer.

Then, time to go shopping for a nice hunk of beef or pork. Anyone care to suggest a good beef roast cut that won't break the bank? Probably 4-6 lbs? Or pork?

That was just a regular old pork roast. It was about 2+ pounds, and I think it cost about four dollars.

Back