Rotisserie

The rotisserie motor arrived today and I have a roadside chicken spinning right now! This is exciting, thank you for all of the tips!

The bird (roadside) came out really fantastic! I have so much to learn. The grill temperature was tricky to get right, as my valves are "low medium high", not continuously variable, so eventually I found that high in front and medium in back kept me around 300 degrees, plus or minus. 300 to 350 really was where I was. Then taking the meat temperature was another new thing for me, as I have (believe it or not) really little experience cooking by measured temperature. So there is a lot to learn. All that said, that roadside chicken was a hit with the wife and kids, and I thought it may have been the best chicken I've ever cooked! More to learn, more to come!

Bruce, I need time! I have to figure out how to post pictures in this post photobucket universe, and it's just frankly annoying!

Tim

Yah, photobucket really rocked the net. I use IMGUR now. Works OK, but seems photobucket was just easier or maybe I was just used to it.

Anyway, I was just kidding. Take your time on posting photos. I will keep my eyes open for them.

Oh, and how did the roto fit the grill box?

No worries! The rotisserie and motor / mount all fit like they were supposed to, so I did not need a collar like you used. I was pretty happy about that, because I intend to use these parts of the grill as much as I like to grill on the grates, so that was a big relief. All is well, and once I get a new picture hosting situation under control, I will be glad to share what happened!

Let's see if this picture posts. This is the chicken in the cage. Almost done from last night.

TM943uS.jpg

Looks like you got it solved. Chicken looks really good.

If you find that you are cooking something that is off center, try using a pair of vice grip locking plies to counter balance the roto. Those grocery store chickens fit really well, but a 10 lb turkey or ribs might not balance quite so well. I place the vice grips just outside the cookbox on the left side.

Thanks Bruce! Clever idea for counterbalance, in hindsight I didn't even check the rotisserie for balance.

As far as trussing, I forgot to pick up cotton string, but as I had thought the basket style rotisserie arms, I felt, kept everything pretty tight with no movement. Do you truss chickens in the basket?

That Roadside recipe really was great, I think the vinegar in the sauce really adds a unique flavor!

Edit: Next up is most likely pork loin!

Yes, I trussed both my roadside chickens. But, like you said, it probably isn't even necessary with the basket style roto. Let me know how the pork loin works out. That is something I would be interested in doing. I may drop some beef ribs on mine tomorrow. I am also really interested in doing a beef brisket.

The second bird is spinning! This time it's roadside chicken no brine. Let's see how it comes out!

The bird (roadside) came out really fantastic! I have so much to learn. The grill temperature was tricky to get right, as my valves are "low medium high", not continuously variable, so eventually I found that high in front and medium in back kept me around 300 degrees, plus or minus. 300 to 350 really was where I was. Then taking the meat temperature was another new thing for me, as I have (believe it or not) really little experience cooking by measured temperature. So there is a lot to learn. All that said, that roadside chicken was a hit with the wife and kids, and I thought it may have been the best chicken I've ever cooked! More to learn, more to come!

Bruce, I need time! I have to figure out how to post pictures in this post photobucket universe, and it's just frankly annoying!

Tim

Tim you did good I come from the smoking world and with chicken it should always be above 300 for cooking temp's so seems you were there higher is fine by the way. Poultry if cooked at a low temp meaning low and slow will tend to taste like rubber its not like pork where low and slow breaks it down.

Here is the therm I use should be able to use Chris's amazon link this is made by Thermoworks its not the top of the line but it is also certified to NSF standards, I would not be without out one and its inexpensive.

Super-Fast® Pocket Thermometer with Cal Adjust (RT301WA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brian good to know about the cooking temp. I have my third bird trussed and soaking in brine. I'm going for gold this time. The first chicken was great, the second one not so good. I did not brine bird 2, and I did end up feeling
pressed for time so I don't think I cooked it long enough. So this one is in brine and I stuffed onions into the cavity. There is no time pressure today so the chicken will tell us when it's dinner time. Big differences for bird 3 are it is trussed and stuffed with onions. Let's see how it comes out!

Tim

Let us know how the bird comes out. I think I am going to do some Buffalo Chicken Wings tomorrow or Tuesday. It is supposed to be 50 and sunny both days. Probably the nicest days we have seen since last October/November.

Will do Bruce. This time I should be able to take lots of pictures too, I'm getting more comfortable with the rotisserie. Also just ordered a regular rotisserie shaft. The basket style rotisserie, while great, is a real pain to clean, a simple shaft with trussed meats sounds a whole lot less annoying come clean up time! Of course, this bird is going into the basket ...

That is great. What "regular" roto shaft did you order and where? I was thinking about doing the same. While I love the basket, it isn't good for everything. And, like you said, it is a pain to clean.

Bruce I just looked on ebay. Search Weber 9890 and you should find one or two of the straight rotisserie shafts. There is a used one on there under $20 right now ...

Oh, I thought maybe you found something aftermarket on amazon or something. I will check that out.

Here are some pictures of the latest Roadside Chicken:

Wnp3MCs.jpg

This is it trussed, just the beginning.

l9Orqx3.jpg

This is about the halfway point.

eH3boCv.jpg

There is the product. I definitely recommend trussing, brining and stuffing these, this one came out fantastic!

Back