Roadside Chicken

In my humble/honest opinion, any kind of sauce on RSC would take away from the whole concept! Period! Sorry..
icon_frown.gif
If you must, put a bowl of the RSC sauce on the side.....

Just my 2¢

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
In my humble/honest opinion, any kind of sauce on RSC would take away from the whole concept! Period!

I understand that, I have made RSC many times and thoroughly enjoy it as is. Just trying to keep the in-laws happy by offering a sauce. I guess I could just put some RSC sauce on the side. I don't know if you have in-laws like mine but if you keep them happy, THEY LEAVE SOONER!
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Gerry D.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
In my humble/honest opinion, any kind of sauce on RSC would take away from the whole concept! Period!

I understand that, I have made RSC many times and thoroughly enjoy it as is. Just trying keep the in-laws happy by offering a sauce. I guess I could just put some RSC sauce on the side. I don't know if you have in-laws like mine but if you keep them happy, THEY LEAVE SOONER!
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LMAO!
icon_wink.gif
I hear ya .. My father is hangin' on in Wintersprings, FL but everyone else has passed on, and I know what you mean. Sorry for my bluntness, butt, that's the way I feel about RSC. Perfect the way it is.

Bill
icon_smile.gif

Bryan, Is the recipe on the first page up-to-date or have you changed it somewhere among the 13 pages? I'll be trying this out tomorrow.

Originally posted by JimH:
Bryan, Is the recipe on the first page up-to-date or have you changed it somewhere among the 13 pages? I'll be trying this out tomorrow.
Jim, All updates over the years are done on the very first post/recipe. I keep the first post with the recipe current.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by MichaelM:
Is anyone else having trouble dissolving the dry ingredients in the marinade?
Michael, The sugar and salt dissolve pretty quick with all the vinegar and woosty in there. Sure your not just seeing/feeling the other indredients in there that do not disslove? Should only take a few min of stirring to get the salt and sugar dissolved. HTH

Mike, I just put everything in the bag I'm gonna use to marinade(except the chicken), close it up and shake, shake, shake.

Originally posted by Sean S.:
Bryan, my Bride makes me make a batch of this every two weeks. It's the best!

Sean, read your blog on roadside chix, nice...a little pointer FWIW...try grilling your corn as you get it and don't wrap it in foil. You will get much better carmelization flavor and the silks come off easier after cooking.

Originally posted by Sean S.:
Bryan, my Bride makes me make a batch of this every two weeks. It's the best!
Cool Blog you have there Sean. Glad you like the chicken, plate looks great. I really need to get back to making it again on a regular basis.

Mark,

My suggestion to you is to do the shaker thing with the marinade continuously as you cook. It is a little bit of a Pain in the butt but it sure adds to the flavor.

Bob

Well the in-laws are gone and the chicken was a huge hit. Of course they did as I expected and put the Alabama White Sauce on it before even tasting it. But they absolutely loved it. I actually tried the chicken with the white sauce and while being over the top it was really good. I didn't stick strictly to the recipe for the white sauce, I tried to use the same flavors in RSC in it. Anyways thanks for the recipe and all of the help.

Let me just say this. I grilled up two fryers on Saturday, we annihilated them, and will be doing two more tonight.
icon_smile.gif

Big thanks Bryan! From now on, if I grill chicken it will likely become roadside chicken.

Steve....thanks SOOO much for the great recipe. I tried it out last night and was blown away. I had been concerned about cooking the chicken directly...as I never do this and am reasonably new to charcoal with my Performer that I purchased this summer. I used half the performer with lump...only cooked 6 thighs (the wife and I love thighs). The recipe far exceeded my expectations. I am thrilled to have this crowd pleaser added to my grilling repertoire. Thanks thanks thanks again.

Just cleaning up from making this for the first time this evening. We loved it! This is exactly what the chicken tasted like from the firemen during my youth.

Of course, I am still learning my OTG. I had much too hot of a grill. The skinned charred (as did the corn) much more than the photographs posted earlier in the thread. I need to practice some more. I used thighs tonight.

Nevertheless, the flavor was excellent. My wife liked it lots so I know we'll be having it again.

Thanks Bryan. I very much enjoyed this.

Back