Roadside Chicken

This question may have been asked and answered already, but the thread is so long that I may have missed it.

Would using a spray bottle to apply the marinade give you the same effect as mopping? It is much faster to do than mopping, so there would be less heat loss or flare up.

Just curious whether anyone has done it this way.

Robert C. - looks great! How long did the cook last? Did you add any more lump?

Frank - I have only one Roadside cook to speak on this, but I used a condiment bottle like in Robert's pics, and it worked fine. I was afraid a spray bottle would clog. I did indirect w/pan below, so drippings and marinade falling in the fire wasnt an issue.

The cook lasted about 1 hour. 30 min. indirect/20 min. direct/10 min. indirect again. Pulled at 160 internal temp and let rest covered in foil for about 10 minutes.

Did not need to add lump.

Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
Robert C. - looks great! How long did the cook last? Did you add any more lump?

Frank - I have only one Roadside cook to speak on this, but I used a condiment bottle like in Robert's pics, and it worked fine. I was afraid a spray bottle would clog. I did indirect w/pan below, so drippings and marinade falling in the fire wasnt an issue.

Gang - I had a bunch of people over for the Eagles game last week. I made pulled pork samies and Roadside Chicken. The pulled pork recipe was from Epicurious.com and a big hit. However, Bryan, I have to say that the raves I got from your Roadside Chicken recipe were incredible. When the ladies at a party say it was amazing, I know I've hit a home run. Thanks, dude! - Bob

I use a spray bottle when i make roadside chicken. i haven't had any problems with it clogging. It does make application quick, but I've always gone indirect, so i've never had flare-ups.

Originally posted by Frank S:
This question may have been asked and answered already, but the thread is so long that I may have missed it.

Would using a spray bottle to apply the marinade give you the same effect as mopping? It is much faster to do than mopping, so there would be less heat loss or flare up.

Just curious whether anyone has done it this way.

I did this recipe exactly as described. I marinated the chicken leg quarters for about 6 hours. I used a wine bottle with my thumb as a regulator for the on-the-grill mop. Cooked on the kettle over direct heat using a full chimney of Kingsford briquets. Outstanding!

Bryan, a question about the quantity of marinade:

Without the oil, the recipe makes about 1 1/4 cups liquid. You remove 3/4 cup for the marinade and add 1/2 cup oil to the remaining 1/2 cup liquid for the baste.

3/4 cup marinade looks a little skimpy in the bag with the chicken, even if turning the marinating bag every 30 minutes for 3 hours.

Is 3/4 cup the quantity of marinade that you (all) use for one chicken, or do you scale up the recipe to allow for more marinating liquid?

Rita

Bryan,

Quite tasty. I made this for the first time last night and it reminded me of the roadside chicken I used to buy on the way home from the beaches in Delaware and Jersey. I made extra so I can have snacks this week. I am on vacation and had to use the grills furnished by the resort (which are only gassers and are okay at best).

I look forward to trying this at home. Thanks,

Ray

Rita, I make a batch, minus the oil for marinating part, then toss that and make a fresh batch for basting with the oil or butter for the mopping part. I use one batch minus the oil for each 1 gal Zip bag of chicken. HTH.
This thread still amazes me, who'd a thunk, that this would ever be this popular?
icon_cool.gif

Thanks, Bryan. That sounds like a good plan. The batch I made a couple of days ago received a "10+". It can't get any better than that.

I got a 12lb turkey, cut it up and marinated it in a double batch for oh, 8 hours or so, flipping the ziplocks every few hours. Then grilled on the gasser for dinner Saturday night with a fresh batch for basting. Very very very tasty.

But I have to say that grilling a cut up turkey is a pain; I was a dope and put it all on the grill at the same time, and obviously the wings were done looooong before the breasts.

Live and learn!

Hi there Bryan,

And G'day folks from Downunder.....

I tried your ROADSIDE chicken marinade & mop tonight and It was good for me but the Mrs claimed it was too salty for her.
She is very salt sensitive and will taste salt a mile off and being Japanese,her taste buds are more sensitive than we westerners..so she reckons!!
So I said that next time I'll try it without adding salt because she claims that the worcestershire sauce has a lot of salt in it and that would be enough otherwise the marinade would overpower the meat.
Personally I didn't think it was too salty but she did.
I followed the recipe to the letter apart from not being able to obtain celery powder (had to cut that out)
I explained to her that unless I tried the basic recipe first, I won't be able to make adjustments (my excuse).
Secondly, I put on too much smoke using 2 hickory chunks plus the smoke the mop made when it drained off onto the hot coals, smoke was billowing out of the Performer but I didn't seem to overcook the chicken.just oversmoked perhaps.
I used the 10 legs of chicken (we call them drumsticks) which are quite popular bbq food in Australia.
Aaahh well.....I'll give it another go soon as I liked the results but must also please SWMBO.
I must be fair to her though,her Mother was the top cook in a high school in Japan and my wife had learnt a lot in her younger days off her mum as she had to get dinner started of an evening after comming home from school.
She has a good knowledge of the balance of taste when it comes to foods.

cheers

Davo

Hi folks,
I re-read my previous post above and felt that it sounded a bit critical & possibly abrupt. I hope that isn't the way others interpreted it.

As I stated, the mrs is very salt sensitive which kinda makes it hard for me when I make BBQ because I have to make 2 seperate batches because the saltier the better for me.

The wife commented to me that Worcestorshire sauce is very salty and is similar to salty taste as Soy Sauce which she'll use sparingly as well.
So, If I leave out the 1 x TBS of salt, and then halved the sugar content, and just relied on the saltiness of the W sauce and the bitterness of the vinegar,would that make a big difference to the marinade? I only marinated it for 2 hours anyway and it was too salty for her.

I guess that rules out experimenting with brines!!

Speaking of vinegar, does it have to be white vinegar or possibly cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar be ok or you think it would destroy the taste of the food?

I really enjoyed the marinade as it was written and made and the only thing I didn't put in was celery powder because I couldn't find any in the supermarket so I put a little fresh chopped coriander instead.

In the past I've only relied on shop bought marinades and sauces but want to make my own but need more knowledge on mixing & matching different flavours and not upsetting the wife's taste buds LOL

Actually for my first try, I thought my Roadside chicken was very good,just need to cut down with the smoke a bit as it did overpower the chicken.

I know that hickory wood might've been overkill for this kind of food but woods like cherry,apple & oakwoods are not plentyful in Australia and have to buy them in woodchip form from places like BBQs Galore and it ain't cheap especially is you live in the city.

Cheers

Davo

Consider me a convert. I tried this on my Summit with just a little hickory in the smoke box. I marinated for about 9 hours. My wife loved the flavor. I've never tasted chicken like this but change is good so this will be my go-to for now.

had to do this again tonight. was on a conference call at work, read the thread and realized I'm addicted.

doing it on the WSM, top grill with no pan. flared up at first, but the lid kept it under control. REALLY smokes, more than anything I've done on the WSM, but I guess that's a good thing!!! I'm hoping that this can be as good as the last batch I did on my gasser. Kids really loved it. If it works, I'll keep doing it on the WSM as I really love using it.

Originally posted by john enea:
had to do this again tonight. was on a conference call at work, read the thread and realized I'm addicted.

doing it on the WSM, top grill with no pan. flared up at first, but the lid kept it under control. REALLY smokes, more than anything I've done on the WSM, but I guess that's a good thing!!! I'm hoping that this can be as good as the last batch I did on my gasser. Kids really loved it. If it works, I'll keep doing it on the WSM as I really love using it.

Keep us posted. I'm curious about doing it on the WSM for larger batches.

Originally posted by Chris in Cameron Park:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by john enea:

Keep us posted. I'm curious about doing it on the WSM for larger batches. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

came out great. kids ate all I gave 'em. some of the skin, on pieces that were close to the outside, was not as crisp. But in general, it was great. I'm doing it on the WSM from now on. But for the last 15 minutes I'm doing it without the top on. It allowed some flame up, and because it was on the top grate, never burned the skin. But it did allow for a great cook.

I did have the grate pretty full, but I tried to give each piece as much room as I could (as best I could I tried to make sure each piece was touching it's neighbor as little as possible). I had about 13 thighs on.

I've tried this a couple times now, with fantastic results.

What I did was set up the WSM for "grilling" as instructed in the WSM manual (lol @ that book in general though):

take the charcoal grate and set it on the supports for the lower grill, then load it with lump and cook on the upper grill over direct heat like you would with a normal grill. It's about 8" separation from heat-meat. Worked like a dream.

Thanks for the recipe Bryan.

Back