Roadside Chicken

well i finally remembered to pick up some white pepper so i'll be doing a chicken half using the real recipe for the 1st time
icon_biggrin.gif
. i'm only doing 1/2 the bird because it's just me and my 4 year old boy today. i'll save the other half for midweek dinner. it's been marinating since 9 this morning and i just pulled the bag out of the fridge to let it sit on the counter for an hour. i also decided to try it using the WSM on top grate with no pan.

i should have made both halves
icon_frown.gif
icon_frown.gif
me and the boy had one half gone in 10 minutes and were picking over the bones

i think the top grate no water pan is the way to go. i squirted every 5 minutes on the dot(used the timer on my et-73) with an old sauce bottle and flipped every 15 minutes. took right at an hour and 15 minutes which equals 4 rum and diet cokes
icon_redface.gif

Sincere Thanx to this site and all you pitmasters for sharing your experience and Q tips! Bryan, this recipe is the Cat's Pajamas. I used the top rack of the WSM for 5 leg quarters, left the water pan out, marinaded for 9 hours, (no oil).
I have pix, but can't figure out how to post from MSN host.
The cook took about 45 minutes @ 350°lid and up. Keeping vents wide open, lid ajar, I actually had to shut it down some because temp was going 400° and more. Basted every 10 minutes with shaker.
This chicken was fabulous! Crispy skin, very moist, tender, not too vinegary at all! The family loved it.

Made a monster batch of Roadside Chicken for the first time this past Saturday!
That was a great recipe!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Everyone kept saying how great the chicken was.
One problem: There was not one single piece leftover, so I had nothing to eat the next day.

Thanks, Man!

I'm having a really hard time getting kosher worcestershire sauce. I know it can be obtained but I wanna try this badly tomorrow. Can I just substitute a good bbq sauce and do everything else the same?

Thanks,
Pinny

Originally posted by Pinny B.:
Can I just substitute a good bbq sauce and do everything else the same?

Thanks,
Pinny
No, not even close to being the same. The key ingredient in the RSC is the woosty sauce, subing BBQ sauce for the woosty sauce won't cut it.

Well, I saw reference to this recipe one time too many in the forums. Had to give it a try tonight. This is fantastic! It's some of the best direct grilled chicken I've had. Wife and dear daughter absolutely loved it.

I cooked this for the first time on the WSM, 2 chicken halves, full tank of Kingsford, all vents wide open, no pan. Turned and basted every 10 minutes. Temps around 325. Done in 45 minutes. Finished over charcoal ring.

Other than some parts of the chicken a little more done than others, de-lish!

How about a rib recipe this good...?

Thanks, Bryan.

Ira

Made this again tonight with boneless breasts. Marinated for about 90 minutes and grilled over Lazzari mesquite lump. Served with Jasmine rice w/ fresh chopped flat leaf parsley and grilled asparagus. I marinated the asparagus for about an hour in some of the Roadside marinade. Sorry no pics, but it was one great dinner. This really is the best chicken out there.

jim, did you baste the boneless breasts? i have some that i am thinking of doing roadside style tomorrow for dinner. was 90 minutes enough marinade time?

Originally posted by Tony C.:
jim, did you baste the boneless breasts? i have some that i am thinking of doing roadside style tomorrow for dinner. was 90 minutes enough marinade time?

Tony,

I do boneless breasts a bit more now since my mother-in-law loves this. I've used marinade and also just basted without. Either way works well. Granted you get more "twang" marinating.

Tony,

90 minutes was good. A few hours are better. I basted every few minutes. The first time I did this recipe, I did leg quarters and boneless breasts (wife doesn't like bone-in chicken). I think this is one of those recipes that is good no matter how you do it.

Not to get off topic, but since i didn't have any worcestershire sauce, I wound up just cooking with bbq sauce, but grilling direct and fliping/saucing every 5 minutes. It's obviously not at all the same as RSC, but as a cooking method, it was a million times better than the standard just saucing once or twice.

Ok, My turn to praise Bryans' RSC recipe. I do not normally care for chicken myself, I had way to many (3-4 timea a week) bad chicken dishes fed to me while growing up, heads, beaks, feathers, and all. I got turned off to chicken, I hated it, I always managed to bite into something I could not identify..... I tried this recipe for the first time about ten days ago, then again tonight, the family tore it up, everybody said it is the best chicken they have ever had, and I even like it. It is very tastey. We had a 6 year old niece over here, who only eats chicken, yet never finishes any meal! she left nothing but bones, we were all amazed. My woman hates BBQ sauce, or anything sweet for that matter, she especially likes the RSC due to the lack of BBQ sauce, and the wonderful flavor. Thanks for sharing this recipe Bryan, I now have a chicken recipe even I like!.. This will be a regular on my BBQ

I too love this recipe. I have made it twice now with full success both times.

The second time I bought chicken tenderloins and skewered them, sort of like a satay comes. It made it a lot easier to cook but I think I like the thighs better.

Thanks again for the great recipe.

Hard to believe a post from August 2005 is still getting posts, but it just goes to show that when somethin's good - it's good. Well done Bryan S.

For me I just followed the recipe using a couple of air chilled fryers carved up and a bit of cherry wood for smoke. Marinated about 6 hrs. Was done in about 25 mins or so over Maple Leaf lump charcoal.

Everyone liked it, from grandparents to the kids. This recipe is now in the standard arsenal. Thanks

Well, I finally tried Bryan's RSC recipe last night. I bought some breasts and legs, marinated them for a few hours. Put them on the old Genesis 1000, along with some Parmesan-Rosemary Potato Wedges. Grilled them indirect and basted liberally. While the chicken was cooking nicely on the grate, the potatoes were crisping up nicely on the wire shelf. I've got to say that the chicken was great, and the gang I had over for dinner loved them.

Glad I finally got to cook these. Thanks for the recipe Bryan!

John

Back