Roadside Chicken

yes thats a good question . I am gonna guess at about 45 mins to one hourand half for a 4-5 lb butterflied chicken . You must be thinking chicken parted out ?

RS buffalo wings turned out really well. I did three dozen total and I "sauced" about 15-18 with Franks. They were tasty! I would have done more, but the rest were getting eaten up too quickly. I forgot that the "RS" stands up pretty well by itself.
icon_smile.gif

Best Roadside yet. I've tried twice before on the OTG. Left the oil out of marinade this time.Had eight chicken halves. Marinated for about 8 hours. Cooked indirect. Charcoal baskets on each side with water pan in middle. Basted every 15 minutes for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Two cooks, four each cook. Each time before, i used the oil in marinade and cooked direct, I would "drown' the coals everytime.This was a relaxed cook and got "rave" reviews from all who came to eat it.

I tired RS this past weekend for company fo rthe first time and many many compliments. I was doing leg quarters and it took me a little to remeber how to fight the flames, but all turned out well.

Excellent recipe. Even the kids loved it.

I went through this topic and don't see if anyone has done a full chicken with it.

Did I miss it?

I'm doing it tonight I guess.

I have also done one. It works great. I also did the roadside chicken recipe with a turkey breast. Comes out excellent and makes good sandwiches.

Thanks, two Dave's.

It was great. I marinated it for a few hours, patted it dry and popped it on the roti. I held the temperature right at 350*, basted some, and in a while it was magical goodness.

The wife said it was the best chicken she'd ever had! It'll be on the menu again.

Just wanted to give kudos to the original poster. I tried this tonight, and it was great! I used oil in the marinade and the sauce. Basted every 5-7 minutes on my gas grill.
icon_smile.gif

Smoked up 35 thighs tonight on the WSM for some Road Side chicken salad. If you never made chicken salad out of the RS chicken, you have to try it sometime. Celery, onions, Hellmann's Mayo, fresh ground pepper, black olives, capers, fresh dill and parsley, celery seed, splash of mustard, etc. what ever you want/like, really. It's all good.

Yesterday was a showcase for me. While I still didn't cook anything in volume some of you folks do, I stepped up my output for a family barbecue. The Roadside Chicken was a huge hit, Bryan. Huge. So huge, there wasn't any by the time I finished on the grill.

I have taken to marinating over night. I love the results. I also started using an old Worcestershire sauce bottle (I think that was your suggestion) for basting. It works like a charm.

We could eat this several times weekly . . . and do some weeks.
icon_wink.gif

Made this for the first time tonight... Wow!!! So juicy and tender. What is the rule for direct grilling times for chicken pieces?

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Smoked up 35 thighs tonight on the WSM for some Road Side chicken salad. If you never made chicken salad out of the RS chicken, you have to try it sometime. Celery, onions, Hellmann's Mayo, fresh ground pepper, black olives, capers, fresh dill and parsley, celery seed, splash of mustard, etc. what ever you want/like, really. It's all good.

I'm interested in this recipe (approx. quantities of each ingredient). Could you share?

Love the RS chicken BTW... bought and assembled the Performer last night, then made the RS chicken for the 1st time!

Thanks!

Back