Roadside Chicken

I agree with Steve. I see no problem doing it on a rotis at all. I'd brine 8 hrs and baste every 15 or so.
Rick, I forget what you use, gasser, or kettle?

Bryan S, You are a god of unparalleled magnificence! I just made your roadside chicken with chicken half's on my kettle and my whole family went nuts for it! I brined with a 1:1:1 for 4 hours. I turned and basted with your mixture every 10 mins with a couple chunks of apple and it made the best chicken I've ever had in my 47 yrs. Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe!

I tried this over the 4th for the in laws and they agreed it was the best chicken they have ever had. I am trying it again tonight. Bryan this is damn good. Cheers!

Just curious...on your chicken halves, do you generally trim off the wingtips and leave the wing hanging out from the breast or do you tuck the tips and wing behind the shoulder before cooking?

Rita

Rita,

I just leave the wing hanging. As with any poultry when cooking a breast with the leg and wing intact you need to watch the temp with an instant read in the leg joint area. That always seems to be the last area to cook. I'm sure you'll love the recipe, it's very tasty!

John

I'm wanting to try this on the BGE. I asked about doing it on their forum and someone replyed back that I wouldn't need to baste it because the egg held in the moisture so well. I thought the reason for basting it with this mixture is to add to the flavor. Any ideas. Thanks.

Rod,
I did it on my OTG but for me I believe the purpose of the baste is much more for the flavor aspect then moisture. I did a 1:1:1 brine for 4 hours before grilling which really helps with the moisture. Maybe with the egg you would be better off marinading and not using the brine. I would defer to those more experienced then myself for the answer to that question. Perhaps Bryan whose recipe it is can add his expertise.

Originally posted by Rod C:
I'm wanting to try this on the BGE. I asked about doing it on their forum and someone replyed back that I wouldn't need to baste it because the egg held in the moisture so well. I thought the reason for basting it with this mixture is to add to the flavor. Any ideas. Thanks.
You are correct. The basting has nothing to do with moisture. I don't care how long you baste something your not going to force moisture into meat, when the heat you are cooking the food over, is pushing the moisture inside the meat out. Ok, Rant over.
icon_biggrin.gif

The basting of the RS chicken is to build up layers of flavor on the skin (in my first post, the recipe post). The more you baste, the more flavor you get.
icon_wink.gif
Also if you do the marinade, that will add more flavor as well. Cook it up and enjoy.

Thanks. That's what I thought the basting was for. Hoping to get to try this recipe Wed night. Planning on using skinless chicken, sounds like people have used skinless breasts with good results, will it work with skinless thighs also, don't really see why not but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks.

Originally posted by Rod C:
Planning on using skinless chicken, sounds like people have used skinless breasts with good results, will it work with skinless thighs also, don't really see why not but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thanks.
Yep, many said that it turned out good for them. Skinless thighs, no problem either.

made it again last night. bought a whole buzzard and cut it up and let it marinate for 24 hours.

my goodness is it super tasty!

Did a boneless skinless turkey breast using the Roadside recipe and the results were mixed. I did a 1:1:1 brine for 4 hours. Used indirect with my 22.5 OTG with a couple oak chunks. I basted with the sauce every 10 mins and turned. I left it on for about an hour with a temp of 160 and let it rest for another 10 before cutting. It was incredibly moist but somewhat on the salty side. I'm thinking the lack of skin might have played a part in the salt level but I'm not sure. Next time I'll reduce the salt by half in the baste and see if it makes a difference. Anybody else experience the same issue?

It has been too long since I made this - have some marinating now. Question – I’ve kept the old in a W. bottle in the fridge (few months). I assume that the vin. prevents any nasties from growing?

Thanks for the quick reply Kevin, I thought that was the case but it is always good to know. Rule #1 - don't make anyone sick
icon_biggrin.gif

Fantastic recipe, great flavor. I have one question though. My wife's family are condiment crazy. If there was a bottle of ketchup on the table and they were eating filet mignon, they would put it on it. I have freed my wife from this need to smothering everything in salt, pepper, ketchup, mayo, and mustard. Which is a testament to my mother-in-law's lack of culinary prowess. She burned a canned ham! It's already friggin' cooked! Anyway, I digress. To be an accomodating host I would like to provide a sauce for them to use with this chicken. I was thinking Alambama White Sauce. What do you think?

Originally posted by Gerry D.:
What do you think?
No Sauce, Take it or leave it.
icon_wink.gif

Ok, if you really, really must have a sauce, and it's between ketchup and something else, go with the Bama white sauce.

Back