Roadside Chicken

I made this for the family yesterday. It was easily the best chicken i've ever made. I did it indirect on my OTG and tried to crisp the skin up at the end over direct.

July4th007640x480.jpg

I'm going to make this tonight. I plan to marinate the chicken, minus oil, for 2 hours. I will then boil the marinade for a few minutes, add the oil and use as the sauce for cooking. I know the ingredients are inexpensive, but for the cost of washing one pot I can reuse it. I will be trying to cook chicken halves and will report back with pictures, hopefully.

Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
I'm going to make this tonight. I plan to marinate the chicken, minus oil, for 2 hours. I will then boil the marinade for a few minutes, add the oil and use as the sauce for cooking. I know the ingredients are inexpensive, but for the cost of washing one pot I can reuse it. I will be trying to cook chicken halves and will report back with pictures, hopefully.

Pat, the problem with reusing the left over marinade as a baste is that after the chicken sits in it, it loses its potency. I have learned the hard way and will never make that mistake. I would definitely make a new batch for basting the chicken.

If you decide not to and are boiling the marinade for safety reasons, you don't have to since the temp. inside the smoker/grill will be high enough to kill bacteria.

*Edit - Oops, just realized you made this yesterday. How did it turn out?

Erik

I made this last night, following the plan I posted earlier. I ended up quartering the chicken instead of halving it. I cooked the chicken over a full chimney of lump that had burned down to a medium fire. Used my Weber OTG.

Turned out excellent. Very moist and flavorful, great skin. I will be making this again very shortly.

Since I only made this once, I can't comment on whether or not the marinade lost potency. I can comment on the chicken having a ton of flavor, so I don't think I lost much.

I didn't capture many pictures, and not any good ones, but I posted a couple here if you want to check them out.
Chicken pics

I made this last night, following the plan I posted earlier. I ended up quartering the chicken instead of halving it. I cooked the chicken over a full chimney of lump that had burned down to a medium fire. Used my Weber OTG.

Turned out excellent. Very moist and flavorful, great skin. I will be making this again very shortly.

Since I only made this once, I can't comment on whether or not the marinade lost potency. I can comment on the chicken having a ton of flavor, so I don't think I lost much.

I didn't capture many pictures, and not any good ones, but I posted a couple here if you want to check them out.
Chicken pics

Pat, the chicken looks awesome, great job. One time I had a whole lot of meat to marinate so I decided to marinate half of the meat and then reuse the marinade for the 2nd half. Big mistake. The first half of meat that sat in the marinade in the beginning came out extremely flavorful, the 2nd half had no flavor at all. It had a nice color to it but did not taste like anything was put on it.

Erik

I made this over the weekend...was waiting to post my excellent results until my wife downloaded the pics off her camera. Well, she is too slow! Chicken was a hit and fun to cook after all the set it and forget it cooks I have been doing lately. We did 3 chickens quartered and marinated for about 8 hours.

I bought some lump (cowboy brand) especially for this cook...that stuff is a pain. The parts were so uneven, several hot pieces falling thru the grates of the chimney, too manhy hot/cold spots due to the huge difference in sizes. Hopefully cowboy is on the poor side of the lump, otherwise straight back to kingsford for me.

Bryan, thanks for the recipe...I have not had a bad recipe from this site yet! Buckboard and canadian bacon is next on the list!

Oh, forgot to mention, cooked it on the kettle, not the WSM. I did have to throw a couple hunks of plum wood on, but I think that was counter-productive.

Made the marinade today...the pollo will be halved tommorow morning and put in for a dunk until it meets hell fire tomorrow night. More to come....

Looks great J.

I was thinking - what if you added a quarter or half cup of redhot to the basting sauce and used this on chicken wings? Maybe reduce the vinegar a bit, but this might make a good grilled wing.

I guess I'll have to try it and find out. Oh well
icon_biggrin.gif

Looks great J.

I was thinking - what if you added a quarter or half cup of redhot to the basting sauce and used this on chicken wings? Maybe reduce the vinegar a bit, but this might make a good grilled wing.

I guess I'll have to try it and find out. Oh well
icon_biggrin.gif

I think that would probably fit the bill...maybe even add some red pepper flakes or cayanne.........for some extra heat!!

Originally posted by J Martin:
I think that would probably fit the bill...maybe even add some red pepper flakes or cayanne.........for some extra heat!!

Yes, and maybe replace some or all of the oil with butter. Ok, I'm hungry now.

after reading about this for over a year i have decided to stop lollygagging and do it tomorrow. i just made up a batch without oil to marinate my yardbird halves 1st thing in the morning. i didn't have any white pepper so i just used black. hope that doesn't make a huge difference. i tasted the marinade with my finger and it seemed like a well balanced and tasty marinade/mop. i'll make up another batch with oil just before i throw the halves on the kettle.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i didn't have any white pepper so i just used black. hope that doesn't make a huge difference.
Tony, The white is just a hotter pepper than black. I really like it in the RS chicken. It does add a nice bite to the chicken.
icon_wink.gif

I made this for the first time this evening. Like Tony, I was flat out of white pepper and used black instead. Marinated for about 90 minutes using a batch without oil, then grilled and basted like a madman using a 1/2 batch with oil. It was quite tasty, thanks for the recipe.

I also used one of those air-chilled chickens from Whole Foods for the first time. It had great flavor, and as I broke the carcass down into pieces before cooking, I noticed the overall chicken and especially the skin was a lot less watery than a normal chicken. Twas not cheap, however, something like $2.69/lb.

Making this recipe is starting to become part of the lazy Sunday afternoon routine. I'll do up a family pack of thighs for the week just to have for various things.

Roadside Chicken salad....good. Roadside Pizza...good. Roadside Chicken quesadillas...good. And, well, just left over Roadside when you get hungry too.

i marinated for 6 hours and then grilled my halves direct and basted/turned every 10 minutes. it was very good. i would rate it in my top 4 for poultry. i still think my favorite is the salt cured/smoked chicken from the Weber Charcoal Grilling book.

Has anyone tried this on a rotisserie? Other than being a little bit messy with the marinade dripping, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Rick

Rick,
I don't have a rotisserie, but I think it would work no problem. Marinate whole bird(s) leaving out the oil, then cook 'em and baste 'em and enjoy! If you do it, let us know how it goes.

Steve

Back