Roadside Chicken

Posted by Steven A:

I made it for the 1st time today following the original recipe, except for the oil. Marinated drumsticks and thighs for about 7 hours. I cooked it over lump charcoal on my kettle. I made a fresh batch of marinade (with oil) for basting. Like I expected, everyone loved it. Ths skin got a little burned on a few pieces, but no one seemed to mind. I also did a tri-tip in my WSM. The meat was a little thick cut. My friends liked it, but I wasn't too happy. I use a smaller cut next time.

A couple of questions .
Why do you leave out the oil when marinating?
And why do you throw out the used marinade instead of using it to brush on the chicken?
And can it be done without the brushing and just be cooked indirect on the kettle?

I've made it a couple times. I brushed on the marinade with enough time left in the cook to kill any bugs. The last time, I marinaded with no mopping and it was still good.

I still can't figure out why the oil is left out while marinating. And if the chicken is being cooked over direct heat then I would think the germs would be killed from the heat.

Dave,
There can be some BAD bacteria from the chicken that contaminates the marinade. I've always used the rule of thumb to toss the marinade and have a separate batch for basting.
I think that I have read that if you are going to use it for a sauce, you can bring it to a boil first. I'd still make up a new batch.
Donny

There can be some BAD bacteria from the chicken that contaminates the marinade.
Which are killed during cooking--direct or indirect--as Dave points out. One thing you want to be sure to do is go direct after the last baste (if you haven't been cooking direct already), and do not baste immediately before removing from the grill.

I realize it's no big deal to make a new batch. I suppose it's best to be safe but there was something that just kept bugging me. Sorry for being so anal about something so petty
icon_rolleyes.gif

Dunno. I think it's worth dispelling myths. If the marinade is cooking on the chicken then it is safe.

This doesn't mean that one can't or should make more marinade. I often do, here and elsewhere, because I want to taste it immediately before use. Sometimes I just heat the remainder with some unsalted butter, sometimes I make fresh (with butter). I do the same with marinades for grilled shrimp that will be also used as bastes.

Well I have brought marinades to boil and have not had any issues. I was meaning to ask Bryan if this was a personal issue on this cook.
Tim

Originally posted by Dave L.:
I still can't figure out why the oil is left out while marinating. And if the chicken is being cooked over direct heat then I would think the germs would be killed from the heat.
IMO oil in a marinade blocks it from doing it's job. I have no proof but I can't find one reason to put oil in a marinade that you want the marinade to soak/go into the meat. You don't put oil in a Brine so why would it go in a marinade? I'm stubborn so don't even try.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I make a fresh batch for 2 reasons. One because of the lack of oil in the marinade part and Two because I sauce the chicken top side/skin side and then pull it off the grill. I don't cook it after the final mop so that's why I make a fresh batch for the grilling part. It's so cheap to make so it's not a big deal to me. Hope this answers your questions.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
I'm stubborn so don't even try.
I'm not a food scientist, but I've watched a lot of food television.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Oil is not a required element in a marinade. One of my favorites--teriyaki--has little, if any, oil in it.

However, herbs and spices give up their flavors in different ways. Some are water soluble, some alcohol soluble, and some oil soluble. Also, an oil clings to food better, holds herbs and spices in suspension better, and therefore holds them against the meat better than a watery base.

Where is Alton Brown or Harold McGee when we need them?
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I'm stubborn so don't even try.
I'm not a food scientist, but I've watched a lot of food television.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Also, an oil clings to food better, holds herbs and spices in suspension better, and therefore holds them against the meat better than a watery base. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep Chris, That's why I make a fresh batch for the basting part. I want the oil at that point to stick to the chicken to build up layers of flavor when cooking and basting the chicken. I don't want the oil in the marinating stage to stick to the chicken blocking the marinade from penetrating the meat. In this recipe of so few and really simple ingredients, oil is just not needed in the marinating part IMO.
icon_smile.gif

Flavor volatiles do vary in solubility. Fortunately, if marinating a item which is fatty (like chicken), fat soluble volatiles do seem to be picked up just fine due to the fat of the item. This works best if the ratio of marinade to items being marinated isn't too much--in other words, if the marinade volume is kept small enough where the bulk of it surrounds the food, the food isn't swimming in a lot of marinade.

Oils in marinades can be used to impart flavors of their own, and are often a reason why olive oil, toasted sesame oil, or other flavorful seed and nut oils are used. Also, lean foods can benefit from some oil in the marinade, especially if the idea is to remove them and put them virtually straight onto the grill. I use evoo in most shrimp marinades because, aside from imparting its flavor, which it does, I can remove the shrimp from the marinade, skewer, then immediately grill--without the need to oil the shrimp. I don't cook them much, but I do the same for b/s chicken breasts.

Oil is, imo, a good addition to other lean meats--like pork tenderloin--but unless its flavor is required, is often not used in marinades in fattier beef cuts, and is optional in straight marinades for skin-on poultry, especially dark meat cuts. However, if the marinade in question contains significant quantities of fat soluble flavor volatiles (especially those from many herbs and spices, chilies, fresh garlic or shallot), oil can be helpful. In these situations emulsification of the marinade works best. Dijon or another prepared mustard, lecithin, xanthan or carageenan are often used in this way. This enables the flavor volatiles to truly suspend in the marinade for some time (without emulsification the oil simply separates and pools) and is the key reason why Wishbone Italian dressing or homemade emulsified vinaigrettes work well to impart flavor. Most of these marinades are liquid-predominant, i.e., the liquid volume at least meets, but usually exceeds, the volume of oil--often by a lot. (In vinaigrettes for salads, oil is predominant. Commercial salad dressings often use less oil than one would at home, and emulsify using gums; it's cheaper.)

On the other side of the spectrum, oil-based marinades that contain little or no liquid are good for vegetables meant for the grill. Evoo, say, will pick up lots of flavor from crushed garlic and lemon zest (the oil from the zest combines well with the oil in the marinade), herb flavors, etc., Because many vegetables do not absorb marinades well (eggplant slices and mushrooms are two obvious exceptions), one is looking to marinate in something that clings well enough that it will still be clinging when grilling is complete. The flavors of the marinade one tastes after cooking are mostly on the veg not in it, but because grilled vegs are cut relatively thin, the illusion of the flavors being in the veg rather than simply on is created. Oil-predominant emulsified marinades can work well here too.

Can I say that as a science teacher, I LOVE THIS SITE! It's amazing how excited I get reading the wealth of information found here.
Kevin, you have to forgive my germaphobic reply, but I get this mental image of that kitchen cleaner commercial with the lady wiping the chicken on the counter top. I guess I can't get past "why add something that might not be safe when you can start fresh".
Thank you for the detail you put in your posts. I enjoy reading your posts and have learned much from them. Thanks again.
Donny

Kevin, after reading your post, all I can say is WOW
icon_eek.gif
. My head is spinning. My tiny brain can't take so much information at one time
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Though I don't have books, TV shows or, assuredly, the bank accounts of HM or AB, I've worked with flavors--development, creation, combination--for a long time. Marinades are one of many ways to work with flavors.

Not familiar with the commercial, Donny--the chicken on the counter is a lovely image though(!)--but I get the germophobe thing. As Bryan notes, this marinade is cheap to make and, besides, if you want to baste frequently you'll likely want more. My point was simply that while what you add (the used marinade) certainly isn't safe when applied, it becomes safe quickly thereafter, just like the chicken becomes safe as it too cooks. (It's much quicker with the marinade though since it surpasses kill temps rapidly.) Again, the marinade can surely be discarded.

Try re-reading that post when you're making a new marinade from scratch, Dave, and see if it helps you. Here, btw, is another that's related.

rh chicken was badash! really enjoyed... food network called..want you to take boby flays place. Turned out perfect as far as I know, was also lots of "fun".. flames, and smoke and flames.. and....flames. loved it. thanks again brian s. great job
edited RS chicken! i keep callin it roadhouse.. sorry to slay your title.....darn new guys... !

Back