Roadside Chicken

I made the Roadside Chicken marinade and placed 6-chicken thighs in a Foodsaver Canister to vacuum marinate for 8-hours. I grilled the thighs per recipe instructions on my new Spirit grill over medium heat. I mopped the thighs every five minutes with leftover marinade while grilling. The thighs were done in about 1/2 hour when internal temperature reached 180F.

This is some of the best grilled chicken that my wife and I have ever eaten. I still think WSM smoked chicken is best, but when grilling, I will make this recipe.

Glad to see that this is still alive and well. Guess the chickens ain't none too happy though, but............ Happy grill'in
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Bryan S for a great recipe. The wife said she wanted BBQ chicken for the 4th, but I tried your recipe instead.

She was more than happy with it, and said that this recipe was a keeper.

Tried this for the first time on Sunday. Best...Chicken...EVER! Even my 16-year old, who hates chicken, had seconds.

Bryan, thanks so much for the recipe. This will be our standard chicken prep going forward.

Bob

Okay...I give in! Going to try this recipe out this weekend!

Be careful Jeff, this recipe is dangerous, it's so addicting! SO has literally had to tell me to "stop eating!" You won't be able to put this stuff down.

I''ve cut the chicken in half and will marinate each half with the sauce. I was going to cook each half over inderict heat. Anyone try it this way. How did the skin turn out - crispy? How long should I cook each half over indirect heat - approx. time? Should I still brush the chicken every five minutes? thanks in advance,

Rob

Originally posted by Robert High:
I''ve cut the chicken in half and will marinate each half with the sauce. I was going to cook each half over inderict heat. Anyone try it this way. How did the skin turn out - crispy? How long should I cook each half over indirect heat - approx. time? Should I still brush the chicken every five minutes? thanks in advance,

Rob
Rob, I'll try to help you out here. If your going to do it indirect then I wouldn't be opening the lid every 5 min, it will add too much time to the cook, baste every 15 min. Never did it indirect so I'll guess and say at least an hour depending on your temp maybe up to 1.5 hrs. Skin should still come out pretty crispy. If it's not to your liking put the chicken over the coals for a few min at the end of the cook.
icon_biggrin.gif
HTH, Bryan

I just want to thank Bryan again for posting this recipe. I tried it for the first time tonight, and I was a huge hit.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert High:

Rob
Rob, I'll try to help you out here. If your going to do it indirect then I wouldn't be opening the lid every 5 min, it will add too much time to the cook, baste every 15 min. Never did it indirect so I'll guess and say at least an hour depending on your temp maybe up to 1.5 hrs. Skin should still come out pretty crispy. If it's not to your liking put the chicken over the coals for a few min at the end of the cook.
icon_biggrin.gif
HTH, Bryan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did chicken thighs using this recipe and they came out great. I cooked them indirect for about forty minutes. Then I moved a few directly over the coals and squirted them with more sauce. I flipped them ever couple of minutes and squirted them again. When the skin was nice and crisp I pulled them and repeated the process with a few more until all twenty were done.

Bill

OK... I have three whole chickens i will be cutting up and marinading in a little bit. I have a question about cooking. I have seen a number of folks cooking indirect with good results but I dont think I am going to have enough room to do so. I was planning to use my OTG for this. Can anyone shed some secrets on how to cook this recipie direct? Do you adjust your vents at all? How do you keep the chicken from burning to a crisp?

Originally posted by Tom P.:
Can anyone shed some secrets on how to cook this recipie direct? Do you adjust your vents at all? How do you keep the chicken from burning to a crisp?
Yes use your bottom vent to help with temp control and the lid is your friend when doing this. Do not leave the lid off for long or you'll get huge flames, just long enough to mop and turn and back on to snuff out the flames. Page one has some tips on direct cooking as well as many other posts throughout this thread. The constant turning and mopping keeps it from burning to a crisp. If you were to just put it on the grill and cook it till done without turning it many times, yes it would burn.

More Roadside done up yesterday, this time breasts. I usually do thighs, they stay moist, but these came out OK too.
A nice complement to ribs.

I set my chicken in to marinade and because of a family emergency, the chicken marinated for 24 hours.

Bad idea.

The chicken was very salty. It was still good, but salty.

I'm cooking 6 birds right now with a much shorter marinade time and the 5 min. "flip and dip" with much greater taste.

Now this is the best chicken I've ever eaten!

-Matt

My family and I give this one two thumbs up. I finally got around to trying it last night. I marinated some thighs for two hours before cooking them on the kettle. 5 minutes into the cook last night the power goes out. Still came out good using a flashlight to see what I was doing.
icon_biggrin.gif

Made it the second time last night. First effort I had to put in marinade before a long day at work, so it sat 10 hours or so then I did the every 5 minutes brushing on the kettle. Really good, but too strong a flavor. This time only 2 hours soak, but cut into individual pieces, squirted from a then empty (as of making the marinade, gotta love the timing) W. sauce bottle every 10 min or so on the WSM turning each time, 1 full chimney of K, direct, no pan, all vents open, meat on the top grill, maintained top vent temp of 350 solid. ~One hour later absolutely some of the best looking, best tasting chicken I have ever had. I even got to use the new thermapen and pulled off the pieces exactly when they were done…..living large thanks to this site.

Going to give this one a shot today with two cut up chickens I'd like to add Lemon/Lime as mentioned by Mike, Stu, and Kevin. I also plan to do the two recipe version, marinate with half and then add a stick of butter and emulsify the second.

Going to cook on the WSM without the pan on the top grate, finish with the bottom grate on the fire ring.

Juice and rind of one lime and one lemon was perfect for me. I used the WSM for the whole cook, crisped under the broiler for 5 minutes or so since it got dark out.

Marinated in a single recipe for 4 hours or so. Made a second recipe, added a stick of butter and some honey dijon and emulsified.

Adding my name to the list that says this is probably the best BBQ chicken I've had that wasn't the typical red sauced style.

Cook details posted here:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/6610075235

Pics are here:

Road Chicken

Have to view in reverse.
Thanks Bryan!!!!

I made this again last night, although there were a few things done differently than I did the first time;

My wife brought home chicken from the store - boneless, skinless breasts and thighs, not what I would have chosen for this recipe, but I figured I'd give it a go anyway.

I had used the last of my briquettes smoking some chicken wings on the WSM, so all Ihad left was lump. I had previously only used lump on the kettle for very high temp, direct cooks, such as steaks.

I believe the last time I made this the recipe had not been edited to omit the oil from the marinade, so that was different this time around as well.

Marinated all of the pieces together with one batch of the sauce in a gallon zip-loc bag for about 4-5 hours.

I filled a chimney with lump, and when it was going strong I poured the coals onto the charcoal grate, put on a small chunk of apple wood, then immediately placed the cooking grate and the chicken on. The bottom vents were only slightly open, and the lid vent open all the way.

About every five minutes I'd remove the lid, turn the bird, and sprinkle on a healthy "shake" of the basting sauce. After two or three repetitions I noticed that the temp wasn't as hot as I'd expect so I opened the bottom vents all the way.

My experience with lump has been that unless you have a pretty hefty pile, it won't burn for a real long time (since most of my life I have been using briquettes I guess that makes sense). The chicken was on for just about 40 minutes in total. As time went on I was getting less and less heat from the coals, but it worked out just about perfect.

Results - the chicken came out with nice sear marks, good coloring and taste from the marinating and basting, and was cooked through, but still tender.

Personally I still like having the crispy skin with this, but for those of you that may want to know how well it will work with skinless, from my point of view, quite well.

The family loved it too!

I tried this recipe this weekend using drums and thigh's. it tasted great but a little flat, i think some of my spices are getting old.

I decided to pull it and add some sauce to put some kick in it, and make it easier to eat.

I used 2 cups famous daves sweet and zesty bbq sauce and added

1/3 cup white wine vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsb kosher salt

then i got carried away and minced some fresh Jalapenos (excluding the insides) and garlic, sauteed and mixed that in too.

toasted a piece of bread, piled the chicken w/mixins on, and crowned it with some cottage cheese and fresh ground pepper,yowza!

Back