Roadside Chicken

I cooked this on my kettle last night - my first cook since joining the forum.

I used a cut up fryer, marinated overnight, then made a second batch of the marinade to baste with.

I put in a full chimney load of kingsford briquets, and gave the kettle about a half hour to "settle" before I put the bird on.

I was unable to find any chunk fruit wood this weekend, so I made a foil pouch and used cherry wood chips.

I faithfully turned and basted for about 45 minutes - it smelled wonderful cooking.

The family, some of who tend to be picky eaters at times, all said they thought it was very tasty.

Here's how it looked after it came off of the kettle...

P5290831.jpg

Originally posted by Rand:
Has anyone tried this recipe without the
"Vegetable Oil"?
You can use butter instead of the oil.
icon_biggrin.gif
The oil is in there to help the sauce cling/stick to the chicken. You can use it without if you want or have to because of a restricted diet. I would guess it would still turn out fine.

Originally posted by Jeremiah Sullivan:
Couldn't not try this one myself, didn't turn out so great but that was no fault of the recipe. I basically charred the exterior of the chicken because I had very poor flame control. With the lid off, tons of flame, burnt chicken. With the lid on, tons of smoke and a yucky acrid greyish look to the chicken. Lose/Lose.

Next time:

Going to use lump (used regular kingsford this time) and let it sit for a bit (hopefully to bring the temp down a little) before putting the chicken on. This should help with the flame control. What do you guys think?
Sorry to hear it didn't turn out for you. If using a charcoal grill you have to use the lid. The only time i take the lid off is to baste the chicken and to burn off some of the sauce if it starts to drown out the coals too much. I remove all the 1/2's and let it burn for about 5 min, baste chicken, place back on the grill and put that lid back on with the top vent wide open. HTH
icon_smile.gif

Bryan S:

Thanks for replying. I tried it again tonight (before reading your post) and it came out excellent. Awesome recipe man!!

What I did different:

I used lump, one chimney full. This was not enough and I wound up needing to add more mid cook.

I waited about 15 minutes after pouring before putting the chicken on.

When I would take the lid off to baste the chicken I would first close the bottom vents, this would greatly help with the flare ups.

I had quite a large "safe zone" this time, the hardest part in not burning the chicken is when it initially goes on. Lots of fatty skin plus the first application of the recipe makes for big flames
icon_smile.gif

Fun cook, fun to eat, maybe I'll do it again tomorrow
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Jeremiah Sullivan:
Bryan S:
What I did different:
I used lump,

QUOTE]
Lump, God love ya!
icon_biggrin.gif

Jeremiah, Here's the problem when you use Kingsford or any briq for that matter. When you baste and use a runny sauce like the Roadside recipe. When that liquid hits them briqs the ash explodes off the briqs up in to the air and coats your food. In your first attempt you said the chicken was gray. That was the ash from the briqs coating your chicken.

Bryan,

I'm collecting recipes to use this fall when I'm renting a villa in the (extra)Virgin Islands.

The villa I'll be renting has a gas grill. It will certainly be a step down from cooking on my toys, but will have to do for that week.

After trying this out this weekend I think this is one that I plan to cook down there. Can you think of any modifications I'll need to make to cook over gas?

Also, there's a group on another forum, one that's all about visiting the (e)VI's and we're trying to compile a villa friendly cookbook. I'd like to include this one, with your permission.

I'll certainly cite you as the creator if that's OK, just let me know what name to use.

Originally posted by Steve McKibben:
Bryan,

I'm collecting recipes to use this fall when I'm renting a villa in the (extra)Virgin Islands.

The villa I'll be renting has a gas grill. It will certainly be a step down from cooking on my toys, but will have to do for that week.

After trying this out this weekend I think this is one that I plan to cook down there. Can you think of any modifications I'll need to make to cook over gas?

Also, there's a group on another forum, one that's all about visiting the (e)VI's and we're trying to compile a villa friendly cookbook. I'd like to include this one, with your permission.

I'll certainly cite you as the creator if that's OK, just let me know what name to use.
Steve, The pic of the chicken looks awsome.
icon_wink.gif
Cooking it over gas just try and keep the flames under control. If I ever make it on the Gold D I would use a basting/paint brush to apply the sauce to keep the overrun to a minimum. Also have a safe zone on the gasser to move the chicken to if the flames get a roaring.
icon_eek.gif
You and whoever else wants to share this recipe with others, or via books may do so, I have no problem with that. I'm just very happy that so many people like it as much as I do.
icon_cool.gif

Bryan, I have to add my kudos as well. I've been bbq'n a long time and this is one awesome recipe.
I marinated some wings for about 2 hrs, and threw them on the Weber kettle over direct lump, basting often with the leftover marinade.
Couldn't stop eating the damn things. A side of slaw with homemade Thai dressing, a little (ok, a bottle of wine) and all is good.
Only variance I did to your recipe was using rice vinegar and grapeseed oil.
Next time I'm throwing in some dried habernos that a friend gave me into the marinade. Might have to call that 'Road to Hell Chicken', but I am a tried and trued "chile head".
Thanks again, for the recipe.

Joe in NEPA

I'm curious, has anyone tried this excellent recipe by purely marinating and putting on the wsm without basting ?

Update:

Just noticed Tom A.'s post, nevermind !

I just made this again last weekend for some friends...they absolutely loved it! Thanks for sharing a great recipe.

I am going to ask a totally beginner question...

on a Weber Genesis S-310 I plan on trying this with chicken breasts. should i use medium heat across all three burners and cook with lid closed except when i baste (every 5 min) or turn (ever 10 minutes?) or do i set the grill up on indirect?

also what temp should i see in the lid and how long do chicken breasts often take to get done at the appropriate temp? one hour? you pull 'em off when about an internal temp of 170?

thanks...

Dave

I think most people are using direct grilling at medium-low heat, but a few people seem to have had good luck on the top of a WSM (which, presumably, is bordering on indirect ?).

I made this last night; first time direct grilling chicken on my new Performer. I probably didn't get as much sauce on during the bastings as I should 'cause I kept putting the coals out (this was before I read the very useful "most use too many coals for indirect and too few coals for direct" advice
icon_wink.gif
) but it was still mighty tasty.

I didn't get that nice worcestershire sauce colouring that I see in some peoples pics so I might try upping the w. next time. Thanks for a great recipe !!

EDIT -- David, I just waited until they seemed like they might be cooked, took one off the grill and pushed the rest away from the coals, and cut the sacrifical piece up for examination (and consumption). It was just right after about 1.5 hours, although that was with too few briquettes (about 25 Kingsford total) and too much sauce on the coals.

I probably didn't get as much sauce on during the bastings as I should 'cause I kept putting the coals out (this was before I read the very useful "most use too many coals for indirect and too few coals for direct" advice

Where is this post?

I've been doing this recipe on a Cajun Grill ( http://www.cajungrill.com/ ) with excellent results. This grill allows you to increase / decrease the distance to the grilling surface, allowing indirect / direct cooking at the same time (flareups don't do a lot of damage when there's a good distance), and dropping the cover down turns it into a smoking oven. Very good results every time.

This past weekend I did the same recipe on a Grillery ( http://www.grillery.com/ ). Same charcoal, same hunk of apple wood for smoke, but the results were way off the norm. No real smoke flavor. My wife commented on it also, without my prompting.

My next try, just for experimental purposes, will be on the WSM without the water pan in place, allowing the basting and drippings to hit the fire and vaporize off. It will be interesting to see if I get the same results (or better?) as the Cajun Grill.

On a happier note, I just picked up another WSM off of Craigslist for $25 (this makes 4). Former owners said they used it a couple of times. I smiled when they told me they had a hard time keeping a good fire in there for more than an hour or so.

And, a turkey came out of the woods while I was loading it into my car. Is it a bad thing my mouth started watering at about that moment?

well i just made the roadside chicken for the first time and used my weber gasser. it was just great, a bit overcooked (very little bit, but it was my fault... stepped away at the last second to talk with a neighbor) but still was mostly moist and tender. the taste was great and so was the coloring. i put a foil pack of hickory chips on the far burner (to modest effect) and the middle and front burners were left on medium. i basted with a brush after i realized i left the plastic cap restrictor off my Worcestershire bottle (when the giant flame hit me after about 5 gallons poured on the first piece LOL!). worked fine.

thanks for the great recipe.

Where is this post?

I'm pretty sure it was in the Charcoal Grills section, but of course I can't find it now. I went back about 5 pages of threads yesterday; found it somewhere in there, I think.

Will keep looking and see if I can find it.

when the giant flame hit me after about 5 gallons poured on the first piece LOL!).

(hopefully) Pictures ? Yes ? No ?

Originally posted by John Bridgman:
I think most people are using direct grilling at medium-low heat, but a few people seem to have had good luck on the top of a WSM (which, presumably, is bordering on indirect ?).

I've had success using this recipe on a WSM. Both with a water pan, and without. Without the water pan, you get the rough uneven coloring on the skin that reminds you of backyard cookouts when you were a child. Flareups will be a problem, and basting is difficult. A basting bottle considerably reduces the flareups caused by the basting. With the water pan, the coloring is that consistant coloring that judges seem to favor at competition. I may have some pictures of my last cook, and I'll post those later. If not, I'm planning on using this recipe this weekend, and you can expect pictures from that.

I do the roadside chicken without smoke when demonstrating the Genesis sometimes. I found the perfect way to do it to produce perfect colour, even cooking and very moist was to:
1. Split the bird for presentation and even cooking and marinate overnight.
2. Cook in the middle of the genesis with the front and rear burners about 1 - 1 1/2 strokes below medium and the middle on low.
3. oil the grill and cook with the skin side down for 10 minutes.
4. Baste and turn and baste skin side.
5. Turn and baste every 12 minutes 4 more times finishing with the skin side up.
6. Turn the front and rear burners up to 1 stroke below high and the middle to medium.
7. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes skin side up basting twice.

The chicken should now be perfectly prepared and presented with an unbeatable taste.

Many many thanks to Bryan S for the superb class A unbeatable recipe.
Regards

Back