Roadside Chicken

I'm going to be totally un-original and say that this recipe was really good . It was some of my favorite chicken I have grilled. Finally got to use my new kettle I got for Christmas and cooked it on that. I will cooked it again.

Thanks for the recipe.

Tom

How often is everyone basting the chicken while on the grill? Also whats the prefered type for cooking with this method? Thighs, breast, split?

I saw someone make a mention of Church Chicken. I believe this is similar to Cornell Chicken (?)

* 1 egg
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 2 cups cider vinegar
* 3 tablespoons salt
* 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Originally posted by Wesley S:
How often is everyone basting the chicken while on the grill? Also whats the prefered type for cooking with this method? Thighs, breast, split?
I tend to spend a good deal of time hovering over the grill when doing this recipe.....and the last couple of times I made extra baste due to running out of it in previous cooks. So I guess my answer is "I baste it a lot".

As for parts used, I usually purchase whole chickens and do the sectioning myself. It all goes on the grill eventually.

And I think there's a difference between Church and Cornell. Cornell has the egg added where Church does not if I'm not mistaken.

I just went back and re-read your post and didn't see the link to the Cornell Chicken the first time.

oops

I have to chime in on this thread. This recipe is one of my favorites and the easiest to make. I don't know what the process is on the kettle but on the WSM it is too easy. I use the leg quarters.

One full chimeny of Kingsford with 2 fist size pieces of apple.
-Wide open on all vents and the chicken goes on the top grate (skin side up) with an empty pan. -I check the temps of the thighs in about an hour.
-At 160-165 I remove the middle section and place the cooking grate on top of the charcoal ring.
-place the chicken skin side down for a minute or less to crisp the skin. Watch out for flare ups!

I don't baste since it is a set it and forget it method but I still get good flavor from the marinade.

Originally posted by Wesley S:
I inquired about this recipe last year, but just got around to making it this last weekend.

My intention was to use a halved chicken, but my sloppy cutting resulted in quarters! I think this recipe would be good with any chicken cut ... halves, quarters, thighs, breasts, you name it.

I used a medium fire on the kettle and cooked direct ... turning the chicken every 5-10 minutes or so. My routine was to baste one side, turn, then baste the other side. I made two batches of the marinade ... one for marinating the chicken ... the other for basting during cooking. I used almost all of the second batch ... although I was pretty liberal with the basting (I used a small mop).

The result was some terrific chicken ... the wife and kids loved it. I'll definitely be doing this again!

Originally posted by Dennis T.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley S:
I inquired about this recipe last year, but just got around to making it this last weekend.

My intention was to use a halved chicken, but my sloppy cutting resulted in quarters! I think this recipe would be good with any chicken cut ... halves, quarters, thighs, breasts, you name it.

I used a medium fire on the kettle and cooked direct ... turning the chicken every 5-10 minutes or so. My routine was to baste one side, turn, then baste the other side. I made two batches of the marinade ... one for marinating the chicken ... the other for basting during cooking. I used almost all of the second batch ... although I was pretty liberal with the basting (I used a small mop).

The result was some terrific chicken ... the wife and kids loved it. I'll definitely be doing this again! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I made this yesterday. I had the chicken in the marinade by 4:00 and let it sit for 3 hours. I, like you, made another batch and every 5 minutes I dunked the chicken into a bowl of marinade. I cooked on the gasser because I was out of Charcoal. It was fantastic. I even brought some with me to work so people could try it.

Next time I'll let it marinade for 6-8 hours. The flavor started to get scarce on the breast pieces the deeper you pulled. But the exterior was WOW. Very good. Incredible smell while it cooked. It produces a ton of smoke even without wood. I ate the wings while everything else finished cooking. This recipe is definitely going right next to the BBQ chicken (Jumpin' Jim's).

Thanks OP!

This is so good and is so fun to cook. I had to share this recipe. I baste just like Bryan posted about every 5 or 10 min. Cooked on the Weber gasser with all 3 valves on medium.

OK... I have a whole cut up chicken marinating as I write. I am torn between doing this on the gasser or on the WSM with high heat and an empty water pan.

Anyone tried both and have a preference?

If I do it on the gasser with all three burners on Medium... any thoughts on how long it will take

I cooked this recipe on the Weber kettle last weekend and absolutely loved it! I would recommend cooking over charcoal (lump if you can) b/c the marinade will drip off the chicken, creating plenty of smoke and flames. I would think the gasser would be a pain to clean afterwards b/c this can get very messy. It really is fun flipping the chicken over to prevent it from charring.

The roadside chicken recipe is a keeper. Thanks for the recipe. I put some thighs and legs on the gasser, came out excellent. I had them marinating from last night. I placed chicken over a layer of foil to let it cook for a while before removing foil and cooking direclty over flame. You must definitely keep you eye on it as it has a tendency to flame up. Although I loved the recipe and will make it again, I would like to make it just a little bit tangier next time, any suggestions? I was thinking some lemon juice or a little bit more vinegar.

Or lime, with its higher acidity. Either citrus would play off the Worcestershire well. Try a little juice plus some finely grated zest.

Good idea Kevin, lime juice with a little lime zest. I have never used lime zest before usually just lemon zest, which has a bright flavor, but I assume the lme zest will be equally bright.

It is, but it's a little different. Often, in these sorts of circumstances and when I have both handy, I'll use lime juice with lemon zest--sometimes the reverse. So if you've both...

Made it tonight, very very tasty! I did add lime juice and a little Dijon mustard. I grilled it using the bottom portion or my WSM with a few pieces of hickory. Watch the flare ups, make sure you have a spray bottle of water ready to help control your fire. My four kids and my wife woofed it down!

Couldn't not try this one myself, didn't turn out so great but that was no fault of the recipe. I basically charred the exterior of the chicken because I had very poor flame control. With the lid off, tons of flame, burnt chicken. With the lid on, tons of smoke and a yucky acrid greyish look to the chicken. Lose/Lose.

Next time:

Going to use lump (used regular kingsford this time) and let it sit for a bit (hopefully to bring the temp down a little) before putting the chicken on. This should help with the flame control. What do you guys think?

Jeremiah, leave some space for moving your chicken from direct to indirect. This should give you much better control.

Well, I think I'm about the only person on this forum who hasn't made this recipe. That is until tonight!

This is incredible! I was short on time, so I only marinated the chicken for about 10 mins, but I still got excellent taste and results.

This one is a keeper.

Back