Roadside Chicken

Bryan
Fantastic recipe - works well on both the Q and Genesis.
Can I have your permission to add this recipe to my colletion of recipes that I am putting together for the Q. I will include a tag line giving you credit for the recipe. I will add more defined preparation and cooking directions in keeping with the contents of the collection but the basic recipe and ingredients will not change.
If you do agree please send me an email (address in profile) with the preferred name to use in the Tag Line.
Many thanks

Regards

Bryan et al
I used the Roadside Chicken recipe when I demonstrated the Q 200 and Genisis on Saturday.
Those that tasted it all wanted the recipe. It helped generate more interest in the BBQs.
Great recipe easy to do on both Q and Genisis with only a little bit of human intervention for turning and adding more marinade.
Cooks extremely well both direct and indirect.
I marinated for 3 1/2 hours which was ample - and to use a wine term it gave a full, well rounded, palate finish.

Regards

Been away for awhile. Glad to see everybody likes this.
icon_cool.gif

Phil, share away.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan
I did it again last Saturday, Took it out and put it on a serving plate, then had to explain a Summit Platinum Plus D6 to a potential purchaser. Spent 5 minutes with customer, gave them a taste of the chicken and sold them the BBQ on the proviso that I gave them the recipe for roadside chicken. The Summit Platinum Plus D6 is a $AUD4599.00 ($US3450.00) BBQ here in Australia.

Totally awesome recipe - Many Thanks - If you lived in Australia I would buy you a few beers.

Thanks for allowing me to use it in my Q recipe book.

Regards

Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:

Totally awesome recipe - Many Thanks - If you lived in Australia I would buy you a few beers.
That could get very pricey for you, I drink alot.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I'm just glad you share in my joy. I think it's a really good recipe, but then again it's mine so..................... To all who like it and want to share, by all means share away. I have no problem with it.
icon_cool.gif

Tried the Roadside Chicken this past week. Used some cut up chicken (split breasts and wings) and kept the pieces in the marinade for about 2 hours. Great flavor and the flareups while basting added some nice grill marks and crispness to the skin. Cooked it on my Weber gas grill. Excellent recipe, thanks.

Gave this Recipe a try today and the chicken turned out great. I cannot believe the flavor that this marinade/baste produces. I'm going to do this again on Sunday to have some for Christmas snacks. Thanks to all..

Has anyone here done this on the WSM? If so, can you give any sort of tricks or tips regarding it?

I want to do halves on Christmas day at my folks' home, and I am already taking my cooker up there, and don't want to lug around the grill as well
icon_smile.gif

I am assuming no water pan, a small chunk of apple wood and should I stick the chicken in the middle cooking grate or the top?

The top will of course be easier to work with...

Thanks!

Tried the Roadside Chicken tonight for the first time. My wife and I both agreed that this is actually better than smoked chicken. I will most definately be adding this recipe to my cookbook.

Thanks

Originally posted by Rom Prakash:
Has anyone here done this on the WSM? If so, can you give any sort of tricks or tips regarding it?

I'm doing a few split breasts tonight on my bullet for the first time, i'll let you know how they turn out. My plan is no water in the foiled pan and to cook at about 350-375. I also might use the Guru. I know I really dont need to, but I just got it a couple of weeks ago and i'm anxious to use it again!
icon_wink.gif

I want to do halves on Christmas day at my folks' home, and I am already taking my cooker up there, and don't want to lug around the grill as well
icon_smile.gif

I am assuming no water pan, a small chunk of apple wood and should I stick the chicken in the middle cooking grate or the top?

The top will of course be easier to work with...

Thanks!
Leave the water pan out, you want the sauce to hit the coals and smoke and burn off. Crank it up as hot as you can get it for nice crispy skin. Take the lid on and off as needed to keep the temp up and back on to knock down the flames. It's great fun when doing it on the kettle.
icon_biggrin.gif
Put a couple pieces of fruit wood on, i use 2 pieces apple. If i would make it on the WSM i'd use the lower grate just because it would be hotter. I have 16" tongs so it would be no problem. I always use the kettle, but maybe one of these days i'll make it on the WSM.
icon_smile.gif

Bryan -- thanks for the suggestions about using the WSM. I am toying with taking the kettle along (my parents have a ginormous stainless steel outdoor grill that I absolutely despise cooking on). Sounds like the kettle really is the way to go for this recipe.

My what large tongs you have...!
icon_wink.gif

Have a great holiday everyone!

I am toying with taking the kettle along (my parents have a ginormous stainless steel outdoor grill that I absolutely despise cooking on). Sounds like the kettle really is the way to go for this recipe.
If you are going to do this on the kettle, you must use/learn good lid managment. If it gets too hot or you get a fire (which i know you will get) then put the lid on to snuff out the fire and lower the temp. It's alot of work but it's so much fun at the same time.
icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck. Bryan
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I made the roadhouse chicken on my brand new performer and it was great.no problems at all. the chicken was juicy and had a great taste,

BRAVO to the origanal poster.

I decided to make some Roadside chicken. So far, it's just marinating but it's going to get cooked later today. I combined with another recipe I had which also included a couple other things, but I decided to whisk it and I wasn't paying attention and inadvertantly emulsified the whole mess. I had to spread the (what amounts to Roadside salad dressing) stuff all over the chicken and intend on making another (hopefully more liquid) batch to dip the chicken in while it cooks. Will post pics if I get a chance...

It tasted great. Emulsifying the mix for marination purposes didn't seem to matter (although I've never had it the 'other way'). Anyone know the pros / cons of using an emulsified marinade?

If you want to see my Roadside experiement here it is (somewhat vague recipe) and plenty of pictures of the cooking/finished product.

Edit: Sorry Chris, I fixed it. I run at 1600x1200 and forget sometimes.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4880069052/m/2150074764
Image of chicken: http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/440/closeup2ty1.jpg

Moderator: Changed inline photo to link due to image size.

Jimbo, I added about 1 tablespoon of Gulden's mustard (IMO closer to the root of the recipe than Dijon might be) in order to emulsify it, especially for the basting. Credit for the bottle idea goes to whomever suggested using a clean, old Worcestershire bottle....excellent idea and so much easier and more efficient than brushing! (Sorry, time keeps me from scrolling back for the originator of the idea!)

It worked well for me, although I'm still fiddling with the heat settings on my Genesis gasser to get the skin crisp. Even with a less-than-really crisy skin, the flavors were great.

I might have to try that next time, Rita. Putting a stick of half-melted butter (not margarine) in caused a nearly instant emulsification when whisking.

Anyone know the pros / cons of using an emulsified marinade?
For marinating there are no pros I can think of. The cons--or con--might be that it could take a bit longer for marinating, i.e., penetration, to occur--but not lots longer. For basting emulsification is usually preferable if the intent is not to cool the meat's surface and thus prolong the cook. In this case cooling is unnecessary so emulsification is a plus. It both speeds cooking and allows flavor elements captured in the emulisified mix to better adsorb.

Of course, on the flipside, if you marinate in a ziploc bag or plastic bowl, it seems like the emulsification would cling to the meat better if you didn't have complete liquid coverage. Although after a full night in the fridge, mine started to seaprate leaving the fatty bits attached to the meat at the top, with the other chicken pieces swimming in the juices.

As an aside, thanks to everyone on this site that provides prompt and well considered thoughts to everyone (including myself). As a 2-year novice now with the WSM, I was lost until I stumbled on this web site (nearly 2 years ago now).

Back