Roadside Chicken

i was browsing through the sales papers today and spotted .69/pound thighs. guess i know what's for dinner sunday...om nom nom

You're like me, Tony. I see thighs or leg quarters on sale now, and I stock up for RSC.

i got 2 packs today with a dozen in pack for less than $3.50 a pack. that's all they had out, i'll probably got back tomorrow for more. never met a thigh that didn't freeze well
icon_biggrin.gif

did 'em again monday night for my kids. they love this chicken. did boneless thighs and they finished 15 minutes faster.

The last three times I cooked roadside, I used sesame oil and boy does it make a huge difference! try it

Originally posted by john enea:
did 'em again monday night for my kids. they love this chicken. did boneless thighs and they finished 15 minutes faster.

The last three times I cooked roadside, I used sesame oil and boy does it make a huge difference! try it

How much sesame oil did you use. That stuff is strong and it doesn't take much.

I did use a lot less sesame that the amount of oil that is called for. I Think it was less than 1/4 of a cup. I just eyeball it.

I used the basic recipe Brian gives in the begining with a little more garlic and onioin powerder. I then do what he does, mix it up and put it in a old worcestershire bottle (the large costco size) which I use to douse the chicken with. one full bottle is empty when I'm done with the cook. It's the perfect amount

Going to try my hand at this tonight. I cut a whole bird into halves last night and made up a batch of the marinade using black pepper instead of white, omitting the oil, with everything else the same.

Went ahead and marinated the halves before I left for work this morning and put them in the fridge. Still haven't decided it I'm going to use direct all the way or some indirect.

My plan right now is to lay about a 1/2 chimney of unlit Kingsford on the grate and then light a 4/5 chimney of Kingsford to lay on top of the unlit. Let that go for about 10 minutes before I start to cook and then cook the halves over direct the whole time flipping and basting every 5 or 10 minutes.

Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Wow! That is all I can say. I layed out about 25 briquettes of unlit before topping it with a layer of lit briquettes (about 4/5 of chimney). I then let the grill come to temp and put the bottom dampers at about 50% and then put the chicken on skin side down first.

Flipped and basted about every 5 to 10 minutes for a little over an hour until the thighs read 170. I would flip the bird to different parts of the grill as I went. After a couple of flips it was easy to tell where the hottest and coolest part of the grill were. So cooking this was easy. Me and the wife ate the whole thing except for 1 wing.

Here are some photos:

Here we go
[IMG:left]
100_2305-Copy.jpg
[/IMG]

Unlit
Unlit-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Lit on top
Lit.jpg
[/IMG]

Now were cookin
Cookin1.jpg
[/IMG]

Almost done
Cookin.jpg
[/IMG]

Finished
Cooked.jpg
[/IMG]

Wow... thats good chicken!! I grilled them up on my gasser then finished them indirect once they were nice and crispy. Will put this on the repeat list for sure.

Well, I did roadside chicken yesterday with the "original recipe". I marinated the chicken overnight, and ate around 4:00 pm. The chicken came out a little salty for my taste. Don't get me wrong I like salty food, as in popcorn but not salty chicken. So what did I do wrong? Marinated the chicken too long? Or, next time marinate without the salt?

I cooked up a batch yesterday. I cut a couple of chickens into parts and marinated them for about 28 hours. Even after all that time in the marinade, I didn't find that the flavor was all that distinctive. I'm wondering whether I used enough marinade. I did two chickens in one batch of marinade. Was that too little marinade?

I cooked a second batch on my offset smoker yesterday... not nearly as good as on my gas grill. Squirting it on the chicken as it grills seems to be the key to making the layers as suggested.

I've made this recipe once before with thighs and it came out great. I am planning to make it tomorrow for a graduation party, but with a twist. I was planning to skewer chunks of chicken breasts that will have marinated for about 4 or 5 hours. Has anyone tried this route? I was planning on cooking over direct with a little apple in my OTG.

I haven't tried it yet, but I will. Sounds great! How about pineapple & bell pepper chunks along side? Skewered meat, the perfect finger food. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck and congrats to the grad!

Originally posted by Bob L:
Well, I did roadside chicken yesterday with the "original recipe". I marinated the chicken overnight, and ate around 4:00 pm. The chicken came out a little salty for my taste. Don't get me wrong I like salty food, as in popcorn but not salty chicken. So what did I do wrong? Marinated the chicken too long? Or, next time marinate without the salt?

Bob,
I think you may have marinated too long. 2-8 hours is plenty. I've actually marinated for only an hour and it has turned out well.

Hi Andy,

I was kinda wondering why you went with the unlit and then placing the lit on top for grilling? I'm not sure if that would be of any benefit in this case would it!!

I normally just place a full chimney on half of one side of the grill for a real hot fire and nothing on the other for a safe indirect area.
I'm not saying what you did was wrong or anything, i just wondered why you went that way with the fire set-up.
A full chimney full of lit briquettes should give you enough grill heat for 2-3 hours without replenishing I thought.

Results looked super delicious though...very nice!!
icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Davo

For those of us Q'ers who are trying to watch the waistline this time of year, I will let you know that RS chicken is great even on boneless skinless breasts..

Went to Sams' and bought 6 pound pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Marinated in the original RS recipe w/o oil for about 3 hours.

Fired up a chimney of briqs and dumped it into the performer. Dumped another 1.5-2 chimneys full ontop of that. I wanted it to get super hot and ready for all the basting that I'll be doing.

Got my fire super heated after all the coals ashed over.

Mixed up another batch of RS baste, this time w/ olive oil. I also mixed in a tablespoon of Jack Daniels horseradish mustard as an emulsifier.

Tossed on the breasts to a great sizzle and started basting. I had pounded the breasts into submission so they were all about equal thickness... Because of the hot fire and thinner chicken breasts, I was constantly basting and flipping. I had the entire grill covered w/ chicken breasts. As I finished basting the last breast, I'd start over and flip. Rinse and repeat. After about 15 minutes of this I did the touch test and was satisfied with the level of doneness.

Pulled them all off to let them rest.

The meat was tender, moist and very flavorful. Great tang !

I had 1 full breast for dinner w/ a salad, and vacuum sealed the other 5 pounds to use in various dishes.

Great salad topper, or on a sandwich. Great way to eat healthy!

Thanks again, Bryan!

I'm not sure if anyone has asked this question (I'm thinking that I might have many moons ago), but I'm looking to spice this recipe up a bit and do version of Buffalo Wings. What would you suggest to add to the original ingredients? I'm thinking tabasco or cayenne powder. Anyone with suggestions for ingredients and/or amounts? Thanks in advance.

Back