Roadside Chicken

I will be cooking some roadside up for the first time tonight. After reading the entire post I can't wait!

This morning I put the chicken in the marinade sans the oil. I did not have enough garlic powder so I added one clove of fresh minced garlic. And, I did not have white pepper so I used black. And last but not least I did not have any celery salt I used celery seeds.

My questions are 1) Do you think my substitutions will alter the taste significantly? And 2) I will stop on the way home this afternoon for the ingredients the recipe calls for. Should I make the basting marinade the same way I did this morning or make it as the recipe calls for? Thanks

--jeepdad

I don't think your mods will affect it that much. AFA the basting marinade I'd switch back to the recipe. Also a good idea to consider the comments about emulsifying the basting marinade with butter, mustard etc. Highly recommend those mods, but straight recipe for the basting marinade is just fine as is.

I love this recipe - thanks Bryan!

The only thing I do for my basting marinade is add one egg. That way it emulsifies the mixture and you don't have to keep stirring to mix it up. Other than that I stick to the original recipe including the oil.

P1150108.jpg

Chicken after marinating 8 hours and drained.

P1150108-1.jpg

about 30 mins into the grilling.

P1150108-2.jpg

finished!

P1150109.jpg

very tasty and tender...we liked it a lot!

jeepdad

Hey Dan - nice job. You've got the addiction now! Did you do anything to the basting marinade to emulsify or just do the original?

I did. I added a teaspoon of spicy brown mustard (leftover from a bunch of brats I grilled using a beer hottub! a while back). I wasn't sure how much or which specific kind of mustard to add so just went for it. And, it turned out well.

--jeepdad

Bryan,

I have made this quite a few times, but yesterday was the first time with chicken wings.
I took them to a cocktail party and they were the biggest hit at the party. Thanks again!

Ray

Originally posted by Dan Wright:
I did. I added a teaspoon of spicy brown mustard (leftover from a bunch of brats I grilled using a beer hottub! a while back). I wasn't sure how much or which specific kind of mustard to add so just went for it. And, it turned out well.

--jeepdad

Yeah - I do the same. I.E. use mustard (brown, course mustard preferred) for the emulsifier, sometimes add butter along with it. This is killer. We all have Bryan to thank. The basic recipe and technique is a great foundation for all of the minor tweaks.

Can't beleive we are at 16 now!

I have made this quite a few times, but yesterday was the first time with chicken wings.
I took them to a cocktail party and they were the biggest hit at the party. Thanks again!

Wings done Roadside Chicken style. What a great idea. Added to the menu for the Superbowl party !

although i have read this thread a few times and made the RS chicken a few times, i don't recall if anyone just used the RS marinade and then slow smoked chicken? i was thinking of marinating some seperated fresh wings and then doing them 250ish for a few hours on the WSM with some cherry wood. and maybe crisping them up on the gasser or kettle. if i do this should i still make another batch to baste with? i would think wings should absorb the marinade very well overnight so basting might be a bit too much?

Did some Roadside Chicken for the first time last night. Marinated for about 5 hours then cooked on the kettle with Kingsford and a fair sized chunk of apple wood. Cooked 3 breasts and 6 thighs.

It was outstanding! Just as advertised!

My 6 year old said "This must be what chicken tastes like in Heaven".

For any of you who haven't tried it yet...do it NOW!

Glad to add to the slaps on the back - Made this tonight and wow am I ever the hero on this cul-de-sac. Everybody thought I was crazy Q'n in the snow. Just wanted to pass on - It is a great recipe and a fun cook.

Another satisfied customer here. Did a bunch on the gasser last night and loved it!!! Chasing the flames was a challenge, but gave me something good to use the cheap beer on.
icon_eek.gif

Another fan here. Was trying to decide what to do with a couple boneless breasts we had in the fridge, so I roadsided them last night. I think I've found a new wing recipe to add to my buffalo and asian wings, and I'm definitely looking forward to trying this recipe with some skin-on pieces.

My wife still talks about it and remembers the name! That is a very good sign.

I made my own basting bottle by taking a used plastic bottle (Aquafina, Dasani, etc.) Drilled a hole or two in the lid. Filled and off we go. Works great. Easy, cheap and disposable.

I see everyone talking about using a bottle and "splashing" the marinade on. Is there an advantage to that, over basting w/ a brush?

Originally posted by JimK:
I see everyone talking about using a bottle and "splashing" the marinade on. Is there an advantage to that, over basting w/ a brush?

When I did this last year I used a squeeze bottle to 'baste' with. It worked out okay, but I saw someone else earlier in the thread mention that if you are doing individual peices, as opposed to half chickens, it works out great to dunk the pieces in a container of the basting sauce, and let it drip off before putting each piece back on the fire. That way you won't be extinguishing so many coals.

Though I think using a brush would accomplish much of the same thing, namely limiting how much sauce ends up drowning the coals.

When using the bottle I did the grate spin on the kettle.

Two-zone set of coals. Spin the grate so chicken is off the coals and use the bottle and spin the grate again and get 'em back over. Worked well.

did roadside again with the last of the kingsford comp. turned out fantastic.i waited til the fire burned down a little more than i had in the past and it paid off.very moist and tender.

Back