RIP Little Weber OT Silver

It was obviously very cool to the touch at this point as any charcoal left in there had surely been smothered by now. I opened it just to see and didn't see any signs of life or feel any heat, so I picked it up and carried it back onto my deck, opened the vents back up and put my little cheap gray cover on it.
I'm glad that the cover was all that was lost (especially with it sitting on a wooden deck) but I have to ask about the decision to open the vents. When I close the vents on a grill they stay closed until I'm either cleaning it or it's being put to work.

I read something about moisture getting trapped in the grill and how you should leave the vents open when not in use. Obviously, I will never make this mistake again.

Of you have a cooler put the lid in a cooler filled with ice. One half at a time until it freezes, then peel.

When you remove foil from cars, they use compressed air. The trick is to get the air under the vinyl film and the air does the rest. It might be worth a try. Go for a gun with one small hole in it, and as high as you can go on the pressure.

...Cut your loses...
BS! KEEP the grill.
every other response is WORTH listening too.
if you do plan on dumpin' it, please contact me and i'll pay your postage to send it here.

BS! KEEP the grill.

Jim is wise! Also, you might want to try some dry ice on it. Keep it on the Weber long enough to freeze the vinyl, then try a plastic scraper to release the vinyl from the kettle. ANYTHING you do at this point is a no loss situation for you! As far as moisture getting trapped, it won't happen over the course of a couple of days - like Brad Olson says - "When I close the vents on a grill they stay closed until I'm either cleaning it or it's being put to work."

I REALLY hope you can save this kettle! Please don't give up on it!

I had a buddy over tonight and he suggested dry ice as well. Thanks for the suggestions guys. What I might end up doing is just buying a new lid. There isn't that much on the kettle portion.

It lives. I just ordered a new 22.5" lid for it. I was able to get some of the vinyl off the lid, but it was too embedded in the vent. There was no way that was ever going to work again. The vinyl left on the kettle portion is minimal and shouldn't be an issue.

Happy to hear you are keeping it. And congrats on the new Performer, you're going to love it!

Glad to hear the bowl can be saved. Maybe somebody building a UDS would be interested in the lid?

Back in business.
eJPrUV8.jpg

Love that color...

Did you ever try PVC pipe cleaner? I would have guessed that it would dissolve the baked on plastic.

No I never tried it. I went ahead and ordered a new lid for it. Next time I'm in Home Depot ill snag some and give it a try on the bowl.

Last edited:

Back