RIP Little Weber OT Silver

W. Holder III

TVWBB Member
Saturday morning I woke up and went to the butcher shop. I bought 2 racks of spares to smoke when I got home and 2 nice strip steaks for Sunday night. I fired up the WSM and got the ribs going. The ribs weren't going to be ready until dinner and it was raining so I had the WSM going in the garage. I was getting hungry so I went and grabbed my trusty little 22.5 One Touch Silver off the deck, carried it to the garage and fired up some wings and chicken sausages for lunch.

fqfxQtu.jpg

Last week I saw a bag of Wicked Good Lump Charcoal on sale and decided to give it a try because I have heard great things. I used a little mixed in with some left over Kingsford Blue. The wings and sausages were done and tasted delicious, so I put the lid on and closed up all the vents to save the remaining charcoal because there was quite a bit left. Fast forward 7 hours. The ribs were done, we had eaten and I was cleaning up. I opened the lid on the little Weber kettle which had been sitting there with all the vents closed for 7 hours. It was obviously very cool to the touch at this point as any charcoal left in there had surely been smothered by now. I opened it just to see and didn't see any signs of life or feel any heat, so I picked it up and carried it back onto my deck, opened the vents back up and put my little cheap gray cover on it. When I awoke the next morning, this is what I saw:

UxtFvNM.jpg

:( I guess when I moved it and opened the vents back up, I stirred up a remaining ember or something. All I can say is that Wicked Good Lump Charcoal burns for freaking ever. I had to wait until the next morning to clean up the WSM from the rib smoke. That stuff just goes and goes. I tried everything I could think of to get that melted plastic off my little buddy, but it just wasn't happening and I don't want to risk melted plastic fumes around my food anyway. Stinks to lose my first ever Weber grill that I have had for quite a while, but in my grief I just purchased this from Amazon about 30 minutes ago.

weber-performer-platinum_fe.jpg

I should be back to grilling Friday or Saturday I hope. :)

Last edited:
Nice purchase....but you can't get rid of the OTG, there are plenty of people here that will give the advice needed to clean it up. Couldn't you just heat that bad boy up and wipe it clean?

I tried. That plastic was just smearing and getting all over the two throw away towels I was using. Not sure what else to try. It wasn't really coming off at all. Just turning brown and cooking on even more in certain parts.

I tried. That plastic was just smearing and getting all over the two throw away towels I was using. Not sure what else to try. It wasn't really coming off at all. Just turning brown and cooking on even more in certain parts.

Don't push it towards the trash yet....I'm certain you're not the first or last person that this has happened to. I also have a performer and it holds heat for a long time or I just put in too much fuel, but I have been know to leave the cover off over night to avoid your misfortunate situation. Certain there is someone on here that will tell you how to clean her up.

Sometimes you gotta know when to fold 'em. Cut your loses and move on. I love the upgrade. Atleast you'll know now for when u go to put that cover on you new performer.

I did a little digging and that was a vinyl cover. From everything I read you need to get it cold inorder to peel it off. Get a bag of ice, chill the melted vinyl 1 spot at a time and then try to peel it. May be time consuming but it can't hurt to try.

Side note, This is why I do not use covers. :D

Good luck

If it were mine. I'd take a propane (the weed burner/ice melting kind) torch to it and burn off the vinyl.

I did a little digging and that was a vinyl cover. From everything I read you need to get it cold inorder to peel it off. Get a bag of ice, chill the melted vinyl 1 spot at a time and then try to peel it. May be time consuming but it can't hurt to try.

Side note, This is why I do not use covers. :D

Good luck

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try when I get home and see how well it works. I wonder if that canned air that you can turn upside down and spray it and freeze stuff would work?

W. Good luck with cleaning it up. I'm sure you can keep it and eventually that vinyl will wear off with cooking. But good purchase of the new performer! That's my go-to grill at our house. I do think getting a cover is a good idea, but get the better one (not the cheapo gray vinyl one). Good luck!

Great looking new Performer! Guess the cover melting is the reason I rarely use them at all.
But my grills usually get used every day so I don't even bother with their covers.

Don't throw it away.
Let it freeze good in January and peel it off. No cost, trusty little kettle lives to grill another day.

I am with Bob on it...hang on to it...you will need it one day for a big party.....who knows...in a few years you it could be the new things! ;) It might be ugly..but it still can do its thing!

Maybe PVC cleaner will remove it. I used to use it a lot to clean PVC pipe prior to using PVC glue to soften and clean the pipe. It melts the pipe. It might melt that plastic, too. If not, surely there is a solvent that will react with the plastic. ...worth a try.

Sorry about your grill but this was a good lesson for all. That wicked good is good for long cooks for sure. ;)

Back