Ribs, Thighs and Butter Braised Reds

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
March 24, 2013:
IMGP2203.JPG

March 24, 2014, it came down heavy for awhile, but was too warm to add up much.
IMGP9744.JPG

I grilled both days, but first here's Sunday's spares:
IMGP9700.JPG

IMGP9706.JPG

IMGP9717.JPG

The ribs were good, but small.
They were already StL cut, and I swear the tips and trims were from a much larger slab.

Yesterday's snowy cook.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs marinated in Italian dressing. (had no Wicker's, and was running late, so I didn't make the clone recipe)
IMGP9728.JPG

Meanwhile, inside trying a method that I saw on ATK the other day.
(more details at bottom for those interested)
IMGP9734.JPG

Grab shot trying to protect my camera from the snow:
IMGP9735.JPG

Plated with green beans and the reds:
IMGP9740.JPG

IMGP9739.JPG

Everything was excellent, and the spuds were super good.

On PBS I watched America's Test Kitchen make reds (smaller than mine) by braising them in salted water, and 3 pats of butter.
Covered for 15 minutes, then uncovered, simmered until the water was gone, and browned in the butter that remains.
They said reds can take a lot more cooking due to the low starch level.
Wife and I agreed, some of the best we've ever eaten, sort of creamy in texture.
I wanted to do these in a cast iron skillet on the grill, but too ugly out to mess with them.

Sorry for the long post, take care everyone!

PS, ribs, and thighs both cooked over Stubb's briqs, love that stuff, but they take awhile to get going good.

Great looking cook Bob! Like the taters! Geez the way it's going back there you guys will be shoveling that white stuff in June:p

As always Bob, nice. Great pics, food looks yummy. I thought I caught a whiff of Stubbs coming up the jet stream the other day :rolleyes:. Thanks for sharing!

Bob... Fantastic cooks! Everything looks great. I was setting up my grills this morning in a light rain and was a little disappointed. Then I see what you guys deal with in that snow and I don't feel so disappointed any more. Will definitely try those potatoes. Been trying to reduce our sodium, but I don't think they were over the top or you would have noted that. Those green beans look fantastic also. Not sure where you got that corn in that kind of weather but it looked great also. Nice contrast. I bought a four pack of packaged ears the other say and it was like rubber and very starchy. Great post.

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

I searched and found the potato recipe several places on the web, and posted it here.

As you can see, I left out everything except the spuds, water, salt, and butter.
Didn't have the other ingredients, but they were plenty good without them.

Great cooks Bob, going to try that spud recipe soon I hope, and after the last dozen cooks or so using lump and some other charcoals I have decided I am a Stubb's guy, it is consistent, clean burning, low on ash and very long lasting.

That is a beautiful plate of food Bob!!! I'd be interested in trying that tater recipe. Thanks for the details!!

Very nice looking chicken and ribs Bob!!! I saw a youtube video a while back that made potatoes similar to the way you made them but he used chicken broth. I tried them and they turned out pretty good.

Damn Bob.....get rid of that snow. The cooks and the plated pictures look great, thanks for the method on the spuds!

Everything was excellent
Bob, you DID mention S N O W
Excellent is NOT snow.

Dinner, however, IS!
Great Lookin' Ribs!
Awesome Lookin' BirdThighs!!
and a Plated Perfection!!!
icon14.png

Bob - two nice looking cooks. You can tell how passionate a man is about his craft by what he is willing to put up with to pursue it (I live where I do because I don't want to be snowed upon... I'd rather BBQ in a tropical storm (and I have)). I am going to give those 'taters a whirl too (the technique kind of reminds me of a method for cooking brats I used once). Thanks for posting this...

Regards,

John

Both the ribs and chicken look outstanding. Great idea on the potatoes too. Going to have to give that one a try. Happy spring!

Back