Ribs over coals

MarkMar

Instead of using traditional methods of cooking pork ribs looking to try to cook directly over coals in my kettle..any quick tips?

Thanks

I've pulled the water pan on my WSM and cooked ribs, all vents open, turn about every 20 minutes. NO sugar in the rub and they were outstanding! Took between 1 1/2- 2 hours for St. Louis cut and Baby Backs on the top rack. Will NEVER smoke for 5-6 hours again!

Definetly going to be trying this method soon. Ive always shot for 275-300 in the WSM for ribs but im gonna have to take another step and try them on the performer... the poor wsm is probably feeling pretty left out but ive got plans for her on smoke day so its ok.

Its luck of the draw on tenderness when doing a quick grill ,always tender with a 4-5.5 hr smoke imo
then luck has been on my side since August of last year, Mike... cuz i've been doing all my baby backs this way ever since. Not one bad trip. And i'd say i probably have done it a dozen to 20 times.
you ain't gonna know unless you try it. And i ain't twisting arms here, it's only a suggestion and/or alternate approach.

Just stumbled across this thread and wanted to mention that in the past I've had good luck going hot and fast with st louis cut ribs. I'd go 45-60min, then foil for 30 or so. I used to be able to source this really nice korean bbq dry rub from a company called Vicortia Gourmet (they stopped making it), and thats how I'd do up my ribs. Delicious!

I do ribs on the grill also but once in awhile I will get a tough 1,I dont foil just manage my heat and a spritz of apple juice here and there,

Anyone tried this HH method with St. Louis spares? I got 3 racks sitting in my refrigerator and was wondering whether to try it on them.

i have tried high heat ribs... same approach that i've done the baby backs with...
and i did not like (hated) the outcome.

Baby backs have so much more LESS fat to break down...
spares needs the extended slow cooking, low temps to make that fat along side the meat do it's magic...
high heat on spares only cooks the meat fast without the breakdownPERFECTION.

of course, all of the above is only my opinion. ;)

I've never had luck with this method. Baby backs, St Louis cut, didn't matter. The flavor was good, but the texture was tough. Any suggestions?

Like I said luck of the draw,Holding nose,Boil then season and grill to set seasonings/sauce

Oh my goodness.

They're still ribs. The reason lots of people people don't know how good they are bbq'd is that ribs are awesome even when you boil them. I was watching one of those Guy Fieddi shows where they boiled the ribs, and Mr Fieddi gave them his seal of approval.

Back