Ribs over coals

i have tried high heat ribs... same approach that i've done the baby backs with...
and i did not like (hated) the outcome.

Baby backs have so much more LESS fat to break down...
spares needs the extended slow cooking, low temps to make that fat along side the meat do it's magic...
high heat on spares only cooks the meat fast without the breakdownPERFECTION.

of course, all of the above is only my opinion. ;)

Thanks for your analysis

Its luck of the draw on tenderness when doing a quick grill ,always tender with a 4-5.5 hr smoke imo

I'd guess Jim has more experience grilling and smoking than all the people in this thread put together. His recipe is based on that experience and I think you'll find if you carefully follow his recipe, you'll consistently have good results. I've made it a bunch of times now and never had a toughness problem and I think Jim wrote somewhere that he's done this about 20 times with good results.

I'm almost 55 and built my first smoker 30 years ago,1 of my grills rolls smoke 4-6 times a week ,1 of my smokers every 2 weeks or so ,different area's have more choices on meats and the results will differ ,knowing some body else's life experiences with out asking or seeing them post it is close to magical :) .

ya know, if you feel the need to boil your ribs, fine...
everyone makes BBQ ribs the way they like them.
high heat, low and slo, boil, grill, fall off the bone or resilience and chew.

how you make them is how you like them. and that's great!
what may work for some folks may not work for other folks.

the links i have above in previous posts are only examples of how i've (in my mind, successfully) done high heat baby back ribs.
and, as always, my my posts of ideas and suggestions in this BBQ / Grilling forum are exactly that.... ideas and suggestions.

Your
Mileage
May
Vary.

Thank you for you kind comments, and opinions. :D

Back