Ribs on WSM

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Smoking some St Louis ribs on my WSM 22 today It is 95 degrees here in North Jersey. Don't know if I even need a fire in the WSM.��. 1. Full rack with a new rub I'm trying
2 (2) half racks 1 with a Chinese BBQ sauce the 1/2 with a Char Siu sauce.
Dan
oJrQ7wx.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good so far. I’m about 45 min from you and it’s crazy hot here, too. My smoker is running hot.
How is that rub?

HI First time trying that rub..There was BBQ battle at the Meadowlands Race Track, 2 weeks ago, a lady won for ribs 2 years in a row..She was only a back yard smoker. There was some good completion.so I thought I'd try her rub.
Dan

Hi All The results are in not too good. Smoked for 4 hrs at 250* with Royal Oak Charcoal & 4 chunks of Apple wood. They came way too dark for my taste. Both Asian sauces were very salty, in to the garbage they will go. The one with plain rub one was really good, will be using it again.
Dan
The ones in the center were the rubbed ones,1/2 had a glaze.

Ilb0j3i.jpg

Last edited:
I like to eat my mistakes. However too salty, maybe not.

I like the two sauces you picked, but salt is the main ingredient in both. A little less sauce or thinning the sauce with a little apple juice might work. Sugars is what makes the ribs dark.

Paprika then sugar then salt is what I see makes up Dr Dors rub.

Russell

Thanks The Chinese ones weren't so good, real salty.. Still searching for a good Chinese sauce/marinade.. The sauces in the bottle are headed for the garbage. Nothing would help them. I got one bottle sauce to try next time.
I tried making my own with Hoisin sauce,soy/garlic and 5 spice,nothing like what you get in a Chinese Restaurant.
Dr Dors rub were the good one :). One of better rubs I've tried.
Dan

Most commercial rubs seem to be too salty for ribs. (Ribs have a lot of surface area per pound of meat). Making your own rub is easy and the big advantage is that you can leave out most or all of the salt. That way you can add more or less salt depending on the cut of meat you are smoking.

Jeff

Most commercial rubs seem to be too salty for ribs. (Ribs have a lot of surface area per pound of meat). Making your own rub is easy and the big advantage is that you can leave out most or all of the salt. That way you can add more or less salt depending on the cut of meat you are smoking.

Jeff

Hi The one rack with the rub was very good. The two 1/2 racks with the Chinese marinate were not.
Dan

Quick question if I might... Noticed the KCBS in your signature. Are you a fellow KCBS member ?

Bob

Hi All Another waste. My wife took one bite and her plate went into the garbage, she is VERY picky eater. She said it was fatty and not good tastesing.I should give up this Asian try with pork, was her comment.
Dan

Back