Ribs on the Grill in roughly 1 hour

Wayne Ficklin

TVWBB Fan
Inspired by a particular bbq joint out of Alabama ("Ain't nothing like em nowhere"), I'm going to give 1(-ish) hour ribs a shot. I've watched them cook from across the restaurant and timed it from when the meat hit the grill to when it came off and its JUST less than an hour. I doubt they're too scientific about it. Looks like they go on w/o seasoning, or maybe just some salt, right over the heat.

Anybody done something similar on a kettle? I'm all ears. I usually smoke a few racks in my WSM 3-2-1 or 2-2-1, so this will be a new experience for me.

Barring any knowledgable input my plan is to use lump charcoal. Probably a chimney full, in baskets. (Its tempting to spread it across the bottom, but I don't know if it'd maintain enough heat. Thoughts?) Salt/season the meat, and flip it about every 10 minutes.

What do you think?

Sounds like Memphis style Rendezvous Ribs. They use a vinegar-water baste. The vinegar helps to break down the meat and make it tender. Hence, half hour each side, one hour. And there's a rub that goes nice with it. They are served dry and they are delicious. But I think one of the tricks is to put some distance between the coals and the cooking grate. I've done it using the Weber rotisserie ring with the cook grate on top of that. Came out very nice, but I still prefer slow cooked smoked ribs. Still - it's a nice change.

Here are some youtube vids on rendezvous ribs.

Good luck.

There has been an ongoing thread on another forum using cut spares & the vortex. They inject the ribs with a marinade, apply the rub, let them rest awhile, then on to the vortex for an hour. Not for me, but maybe someone here will give it a try!

Ve7St2.jpg

9xM1uj.jpg

Barb and I do Jims 60 minute baby backs quite frequently with excellent results. But like Jim says that doesn't work for spares.

I say just go for it and see what happens. Sounds like others have done it or similar. I may not be far behind you though. When I was browsing through Costco yesterday, prices are back down to a reasonably good place on pork and such. If it weren't for my already full freezer, I would have come home with a cart full of stuff.

The larger ribs from Sam's and Costco don't work nearly as well as smaller ones. When I go to my fav butcher shop Thuringer in Arlington Hts he's got premium grade pork and these delicate little baby backs that cook up so wonderfully in 30 to 45 min and you can literally "kiss" the meat off the bones. The bones are VERY small. About the diameter of a #2 pencil. And they don't even need a rub or anything. I do them with straight S&P and a little smoke on my dad's Genesis and they're OMG good!

The larger ribs from Sam's and Costco don't work nearly as well as smaller ones. When I go to my fav butcher shop Thuringer in Arlington Hts he's got premium grade pork and these delicate little baby backs that cook up so wonderfully in 30 to 45 min and you can literally "kiss" the meat off the bones. The bones are VERY small. About the diameter of a #2 pencil. And they don't even need a rub or anything. I do them with straight S&P and a little smoke on my dad's Genesis and they're OMG good!
Seconded. You want a rack that's uniform. When I pick out a rack, I'm looking for thin but uniform thickness from one end to the other and front to back. Also, I like to see ribs that are right angle to the edge as much as possible - easier to slice. Those ribs I see all the time from Smithfield that say "Extra Meaty" are what I avoid. I don't care about the price. I'll pay the extra money so ensure a great bbq.

I went with my plan. I used one chimney of Weber, then heated 2/3s of another chimney full of coal that was sitting in the kettle for who knows how long. That proved to be too much and I had to collect that mid-cook and put it back in the chimney.

I flipped every 5-10 minutes, mopping at each turn. 75 minutes or so and I pulled them off. Ended up covering them and putting them in the oven while we waited on a few other things to finish. I don’t think that had much of an impact on the doneness.

My 5” grate extension was too tall for the lid to close so I’d do that differently. Maybe minion the coals, but only use one chimney full. I need to work on my slicing. Cutting from the bottom made it to a lot faster.

I’ll definitely do it again. My vegetarian daughter held strong but considered her convictions for a minute.

Attachments

• 05A6B2A6-5E53-4B70-89E1-9D5A549003AC.jpeg
    05A6B2A6-5E53-4B70-89E1-9D5A549003AC.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 20
  • B9DF41B1-F7AA-47D9-8C2F-AA5BF5978E31.jpeg
    B9DF41B1-F7AA-47D9-8C2F-AA5BF5978E31.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 8FD5F6E5-6B34-4F47-B294-32919B19B555.jpeg
    8FD5F6E5-6B34-4F47-B294-32919B19B555.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 3B2CA061-431C-49CF-9CC8-6334BA7E341E.jpeg
    3B2CA061-431C-49CF-9CC8-6334BA7E341E.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 9423C7D4-BB2A-41B0-AA55-279408B86F30.jpeg
    9423C7D4-BB2A-41B0-AA55-279408B86F30.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 22
Interesting thread. My daughters got me some meat from ButcherBox for Christmas. One of the meats was a small rack of BB ribs. Looks like a good time to give a new method a try.

I have done baby back ribs on the rotisserie over lump which runs really hot. They took right around one hour, but honestly I prefer them 3-2-1.

If you have a wsm, take out the water pan, 1 full weber chimney starter lit, 1-1.5 hours you will have the best ribs of your life, works with all ribs, times will differ with different ribs, but one thing is certain, best ribs you will ever have, guaranteed

Back