Ribs- How do you cook them?

Jon MI

TVWBB Super Fan
This would make a good poll Chris, hint hint.

BRITU method, or slight variation.
3-2-1 method, or slight variation.
Something completely different.

Not looking for spices and recipes as much as actual cooking technique.

You can also add spares vs back ribs.

I'll start.

I use BRITU w/ a variation on spices. I like the texture this cooking techniqes gives.

I prefer back ribs. I find spares too fatty for my liking.

I will chime in with something a little different.

I prefer baby backs myself, more tender and less fat.

I lay mine flat and smoke for about 3 1/2 to 4 hours, adding apple juice from a spray bottle when needed. Then I use the big aluminum pans and wrap up 3 or 4 slabs at a time with lots of my BBQ sauce. Let them simmer for a hour or so until tender like I want them. Then pull out of pan and grille for 10 minutes or so per side for grille marks and to firm up the BBQ sauce.

Have several wet rags handy and eat until you can't move.

I am going to try the BRITU style, its sounds good and will fit the WSM alot better. I have a big pull-behind that I use at competitions, and at home for bigger events.

Randy

You might be a redneck if....
You have considered bottling BBQ smoke for a aftershave.

Count me in on the Loin/Baby back Rib preferance.

I go for a 3-2-1 sort of method. Not those exact times, but same idea.
I'd like to tinker more with my ribs, but they are a tad bit expensive to play around with.

Josh

Well I'll be different.

I like spares and I use the BRITU method! I think they taste better and if you trim them up as shown on this site a good portion, but not all, of that fat gets carved off. I never use to trim them at all. My wife would always complain too, but not anymore now that I trim them St Louis style. We arm wrestle for the last rub now
icon_cool.gif
. I like to cook four slabs at a time too. If I wrap them carefully around my rib rack I can do all four on the top grill then i throw the trimmed parts (sternum) on the bottom grill.

At the three hour mark I turn them. At about the four hour mark I slather on some sauce on three of the slabs, then transfer them to my Weber Kettle to sear the sauce for 4 minutes/side. The fourth slab I don't put anything on at all. My wife likes hers just like that
icon_smile.gif

St. Louis spares here too. Smoke until they're the right color (3-4 hrs), foil with some juice 45 mins or until tender (never a full 2 hrs), then unwrap, sauce, and pull 'em off when they've firmed up a little (1 hr or less).

Trimmed spares all the time. Membrane pulled off, trimmings are treats after about 2-3 hours, and a good time to test new rubs/variations.
3.5-4 hours, then foil/juice for 1-1.5, depending on how many racks I'm doing and who is eating them, out of foil and back on sauced for 45 minutes to an hour.
Put a little more sauce on them for some people, and run them under the broiler for a minute to caramelize. Watch them though, they will blacken really quick if you don't pay attention!

I cook mine 5-6 hrs with just a rub and an occasional spray of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. I put a glaze of thinned apple jelly on each slab and let that set for about 20 minutes. If done early they go into some foil to keep warm. The rest I let cool and foodsaver. If reheating I will foil and put in 250 oven for 40 -60 minutes. I haven't used a sauce on my ribs since I don't know when and most everybody I cook ribs for don't use it either, anymore.

Spares w/membranes removed, trimmed to St Louis cut.

Light coat of mustard followed by medium coat of rub.

6-7 hours at 225-240 degrees, no basting, no foil.

Sauce if you must.

Eat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk Boorman:
St. Louis spares here too. Smoke until they're the right color (3-4 hrs), foil with some juice 45 mins or until tender (never a full 2 hrs), then unwrap, sauce, and pull 'em off when they've firmed up a little (1 hr or less). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto here.

Same way for baby backs too, just less time than spares.

Rich G. said:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Spares w/membranes removed, trimmed to St Louis cut.

Light coat of mustard followed by medium coat of rub.

6-7 hours at 225-240 degrees, no basting, no foil.

Sauce if you must.

Eat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, except I don't use the mustard.

All of my previous rib cooking experience comes from the Weber kettle. My WSM isn't due for a week or so.

I've done both Baby Back and St. Lois Style ribs. The wife and I like the St. Louis style better. That may change once we get the WSM though.

My first rib cooking on the kettle was done with the racks side by side or stacked on top of each other in the center. I used Kingsford Briquettes and soaked smoke chips. I didn't pay much attention to temperature and the bottom vents were often left wide open. The ribs worked out well usually this way.

We moved to Houston in December and my attention turned to real smokers. From this site, I learned about temperature control. I've done two batches of St. Louis style ribs (both just one solo rack) by keeping the temps in the 250-275 range. Kingsford Classic Briquettes were used with smoking wood chunks about the size of a baseball. Both times, they were fantastic, better than ever cooked.

Summary:

Weber Kettle Grill
Kingsford Clasic Briquettes
Wood chunks
250-275 degrees for about 4 hours
St. Louis Style with membrane removed
dry rub (Bone Suckin' Rib Rub)
rub allowed to marinate for 4 hors or so. Ribs pulled out of fridge before grill started.
Marinade with vinegar based sauce when wood of charcoal added. No turning or foiling.

It's a constant work in progress, so your experiences/technique may differ.
icon_smile.gif

I used to go the 3-2-1 for years until I found this site and the BRITU method. I haven't foiled since. I pretty much go by the book on them except I sub turbonator for brown sugar. Got tired of the drying the brown. I do a lot of varying of the smoke wood. I like a little more smoke than most probobly. The oak definately has to be there but I like to add some sweet woods. The best combo so far has been oak, grape vine, and JD pellets.

I have always been a back ribs man but after spending time here I decided to try the spares using chris's guide. I must say that I did like them a bit better than the back ribs. The thing is the prep time is probobly double. I guess if I got the hang of it that would decrease. For now I just get backs and peel the membrane and I am off and running. Maybe part of the reason I feel this way is I have some friends that have a standing order. When I make ribs they want some too. When I make ribs the minimum I make is 6 and usually 9 or more.

I used to sauce at the end of the cook just before pulling. Since I went Britu I won't let sauce near mine. Everyone else is the same on that now also.

I cook at 210 lid and don't crack the lid til 5.5 hours. It seems I always have trouble getting the temp up on into the cook. I made some saturday "9" and I had to crack the door to get it up at 230 I closed it again and it dropped back to 210. All of my vents on the bottom are boogered up now and I would think I would have just the opposite problem.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Oh well they were still awesome.

Thanks for that recipe Chris. I know it is not yours but I would have never found it if it wasn't here.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I only do back ribs if someone's paying me to cook and requests them.

I foil more often than I don't.

Spares, skirt removed and sometimes a couple bones worth of trimming off the narrower end.

Always homemade rub without salt. I salt the ribs first, allow them to moisten from the salt, then apply the rub over it. This I do when the coals are starting.

I smoke till deeply colored, somewhere around 4.5 hours; foil with a juice blend till just tender, 45 min, an hour, occasionally more. Unwrap and return to the grate for a few minutes to firm up and re-crisp the bark. I never sauce; whatever sauces I make are served on the side. The trimmings I smoke and use to flavor the sauces.

It's interesting to see the variations in preferences.

I must admit I have enjoyed reading these posts. I am still trying to figure out how to cook ribs on my WSM. My family has always favored my ribs on the grill (getting the sauce all carmelized thick). I think I'll keep this thread in mind the next batch of ribs I try.

I use what ever is on sale. Don't think I have ever done the same twice in a row. They very every time.
Rub......Butt Rub brand most of the time
Sauce.... Lazy Open Pit Original
Temps....250 on the door thermometer
Wood.....A special 5 blend I get from a local butcher. Hardwood saw dust from a local logging mill when I can get there (its free)
Served...Family and neighbors wish I would feed them lol

Costco spares trimmed St. Louis style. Rub 'em with spices. Fire up the WSM with two chunks of cherry and one of hickory.

Put the ribs on when it hits about 200. Let it top out about 240-50. Sits for about 3.5-4 hours. Then foil, add apple or pineapple juice in the foil, and back on the WSM for about 45 minutes. If the temp creeps up, I let it, as long as it stays under 275.

Back out of the foil and on the WSM for about 30-45 minutes. Sometimes glaze at that point, usually not.

I use baby backs most of the time, but spares are ok if I take the time to get rid of allot of the fat.

I use all sorts of rubs and don't really have a favorite. They each bring a different appeal.

I use a 3-2-1 method for cooking but I often just foil and finish cooking in the oven.

To glaze mine I brush the half slabs with a good BBQ sause (Spicy KCMaster) then pull out my propane torch and carmelize the sauce.

People stand there staring when I fire up the torch and start playing that flame back and forth across the ribs, but as soon as they taste them they accept the presence of the torch.

Spares all the time! Remove membrane, trim St. Louis style, rub, then smoke. I don't fuss with them at all while smoking. When they're done, they get a light brushing of Hot BoneSucking sauce and Sweet Baby-Rays (50/50 mix). Foiled for a few to rest and then eaten!

Back