Ribeye steaks - other than direct high heat

Jim Mathews

TVWBB Member
When I have a hankerin for a good steak experience, I buy ribeye steaks, and grill them directly over a high-heat lump fire. I was watching a TV show last night, and they showed 2 options.

(1) cook ribeye steaks over indirect medium heat for a little more smoke flavor. Looked good, but no crust that I love.
(2) cook a whole rib roast over indirect heat until rare (absorbs smoke). Let roast cool, cut roast into steaks, cook steaks over direct high heat to medium-rare. THIS looked very tasty, and I presume would give you the best of both worlds - more smoke and the flavorful crust.

Anyone do either of these regularly? I am buying a rib roast tomorrow, was thinking of just doing prime rib, but maybe I'll smoke to rare and ten cut into steaks to finish off over direct high heat. Would that much smoke take away from the flavor of the ribeye steak?

Decisions, decisions...

I don't think the smoke would be too much. Any one who's ever gotten down to MCguires in Destin FL knows how well thier hickoiry smoked prime rib is. I've done roasts on the smoker, but I never smoked and then cut into steaks to be seared. It sounds interesing. The sear shouldn't add any more smoke to the meat, just a nice crust . I'd love to hear how this comes out.

For thicker cuts I usually use the reverse sear method. Cook the steak indirect and then once it gets close to my desired doneness I throw it on the sear grate to finish it off. I find I get a much more evenly cooked steak this way. It has become my preferred method.

I have never cooked a rib roast the way you described. If I want steaks I just cut the steaks first and then use the method I described above. That is not to say the technique you described won't yield great results. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

I never used both the methods you describe.
For thinner steaks just direct heat as much as you like. For thicker cut always reverse sear method. If you want to add smoke do it. It worths it! Try hickory.

I like to buy a whole ribeye roast and cut it into steaks of about an 1-1/4" thick. Then grill them direct over the coals with some mesquite added.
They seem to turn out just right when I grill them this way. Too much smoke, especially hickory, can ruin a great steak. The smoke should complement
the beef flavor, but never overshadow it.

I've smoked a couple of bone-in rib roasts, and they turned out pretty good. The smoke flavor wasn't overpowering at all. My go-to cook like this has become smoking an herb crusted tenderloin and then finishing it off with a sear on the kettle. I like the idea of smoking, cutting into steaks, and searing individual steaks. I'm not sure if/when I might get a chance to try that, because when I'm cooking a large cut of beef like that, it usually means that I'm taking it somewhere else for a large gathering, and I prefer to carve it up right before time to serve it.

Reverse sear for me. Once you know the science behind it (the why). And then you give it a try, there is no going back IMO, to the high heat direct sear method, aka. sear & slide.

Last edited:
I use the reverse sear on bigger cuts, thin cuts you are better off to go direct

If I want to try the reverse sear...let's say I like to take my ribeyes off the grill at about 125 degrees...at what internal temperature would you start the reverse sear, and for how long? I know it's an approximation...

And I wonder if there are pros/cons of cooking indirect as a whole rib roast, then cut into steaks, then do the reverse sear on each steak (rather than cutting into steaks prior to cooking). That's what the cook in this one steakouse did on TV, and the steaks looked incredible. it triggered a definite Pavlovian response.

Back