Rib Trial & Error Day(s)

BillElverman

I've been smoking, pretty regularly, for about a year and a half now. It's become a bit of an addiction - but a good one. (I fear what will happen if I start home brewing).

My brisket game is TIGHT.

I've got people lining up for pulled pork...

But my rib game has been GOOD, but not GREAT.

I generally prefer a harder crust with the good tug. My wife wants that stuff to fall off the bone with a good gust of wind. So I try to balance.

Here's what I've done the last two weekends:

Constant: WSM, average temperature 215-220, THICK baby back ribs from our local butcher (really thick - meaty as all hell), and a pretty basic Paprika, sugar and pepper-based rub (with some tweaks).

Variations
1. Smoked about 5 hours, no foil, no sauce - just rub

2. Smoked about 5 hours, no foil, homemade "Carolina-style" bbq sauce

3. Smoked about 5 hours, foiled with apple juice + brown sugar (2-2-1), finished off with Sweet Baby Rays Original

4. Smoked about 5 hours, foiled with beer (2-2-1), finished off with Stubbs original

5. Smoked about 5 hours, foiled with beer and garlic (2-2-1), finished off with a homemade "asian" sauce (pretty basic hoisin, oyster and soy-based deal).

Here's the consensus ranking from my household:

1. Version 3 (w/ SBR)
2. Version 5 (homemade asian)
3. Version 2 (the homemade sauce was a hit)
4. Version 1 (no sauce)
5. Version 5 (Stubbs)

Interesting notes/thoughts:

1. None of these were the "slap your momma/like Jesus made 'em" ribs I'm still looking for
2. I'm not a fan of SBR as a primary sauce... but it worked pretty well in this set-up. Consensus was that I should stick with the homemade sauce in version 2.
3. Version 2 with the homemade asian sauce was really interesting and everyone liked it (I'm about to go grab a cold leftover out of the fridge and do "the morning test". Between the beer, the more traditional "BBQ" style rub and the sauce - it actually worked quite well. Definitely keeping this in the repertoire as a "change of pace" recipe or complement for larger dinners.
4. The bark on the no foil, no sauce baby backs was amazing... and the tug was there... but the consensus of the diners that night was that they were a bit drier than other options. My wife was NOT a fan.
5. Version 5 with the Stubbs... was good... you'd still gladly eat them if you went to a neighbor's cookout... but what was interesting is that the beer that I had dolloped in the wrap really stood out in the finished product. Whereas it complemented the asian sauce really well, it overwhelmed the Stubbs a bit... maybe I was heavy on the pour... not sure...

Everything I wrapped was "fall off the bone" tender. If I were cooking for myself, I probably wouldn't wrap... but I have the hordes to consider...

Still searching...

Bill

wow, love your methodical approach and dedication to finding the perfect recipe!

couple of suggestions:
- I educated my wife (and kids) on what constitutes a good rib and now we have family harmony on ribs that don't fall off the bone.
- ribs should not fall off the bone when foiling. Maybe you're foiling too long?
- Have you tried the britu recipe in the recipe section of the forum? It's very good.
- if you like more bark on your ribs, take a look at the sticky in this forum called "the bbq wisdom of harry soo". He starts the cook at 275 to form bark and then drops temp. it worked for me (though I'm more of a 225 all the way guy).
- finally, you might try this, take the water pan out of smoker and run hot, around 275-325. I think this approximates what places like the rendezvous in tenn do and you get a whole lotta bark. Actually, I just googled it, here's a recipe:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/rendezvous_ribs_in_a_hurry.html

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff - great feedback... read through a bunch of Harry Soo stuff this morning...

I've wondered how cooking at higher temperatures would work. Interesting to read the methods of both Soo and Rendezvous. All the more to consider :)

Bill

I like doing BB ribs at 275° 2hrs, 45mins wrapped in foil, then sauced for 15mins.

Find the "recipe" you want to play around with, then vary the foil times. I think you might be foiling a bit too long. Try cutting it down to 1.5 hours and see how they are. Then adjust back even more if desired.

Cut the rack in two. Wrap one piece so it'll be fall off the bone. Keep the other one unwrapped for more of a tug. Same cook time but one won't get the braise.

Even better, cook baby backs for those who want fall off the bone, spare ribs for those who like a little bite to their meat. Too much meat is a nice problem to have!

Back