Rib Rack Recommendations Needed

I am in the same boat, Jeff, I am looking at rib racks as well. Since I have to ship them half way around the world, I really want to get some feed back on them, before I drop the cash on the purchase and shipping.

I have two that I'm very interested in: Weber's 6453 Style Rib Rack - Stainless model at $39.95 - higher end but stainless and should fit my Weber without worries.

The second is the Brinkmann 9007 Rib Rack which got only so-so reviews on Amazon, but they are "removable" wire holders in a frame, so while that is rated negatively in one review, it might be good for smoking bacon. Right now I can only lay the pork bellies flat and that limits the number I can smoke on my Weber 22.5 OTG grill. One or two racks that I can adjust to hold the bellies would let double or triple the amount.

I'd love to hear any feedback on these or other rib racks whether dedicated to ribs only or versatile for use with pork belly bacon.

Added Later: Ran into a third rack that looks promising as well: Broil King 62602 Rib Rack and Roast Support

I just have an off brand from one of the big box lumber stores. It is chrome plated but definitely not as good as the expensive ones. It does the job when I need it.

Mike

This is a worthy question. I bought the off brand rib racks that are thin wire a cpl years ago. They have NOT stood the test of time and an upgrade is in the near future. I bought a V-shaped roastin rack that pictures it as a flip-able rib rack but I assure you it will not be suitable for the ribs I cook though it does well as a roast rack. I like the looks of the rib rack Dan Moore linked to.

Originally posted by Dan Moore:
Cook's Illustrated recommends this

That's similar to the Weber 6469. I like that its reversible. Hoping one comes my way next Sunday
icon_wink.gif

I looked at the CI recommendation. I have often used them for guides on kitchen purchases, but I am hesitant this time. I read some reviews of the Charcoal Companion and one of the positive reviews talked about the supports being too short and allowing the ribs to droop as they cook. Also, it is mentioned as being a good shape for holding a roast, but I have a wire turkey rack, unsuitable for ribs, but fine for a roast or turkey.

I've looked pretty hard at the Weber higher end Stainless 6453 unit and the Broil King Stainless 62602. I am tending toward the Broil King because of the better handles though the Weber looks, at least in the photos, like there is a bit more space between the wires, but without sitting them side beside, hard to know for sure.

The other low price unit I'm looking at is the Brinkmann 9007 Rib rack which is much flimsier, but has wires that can be removed if necessary and that are much higher. Handy for both ribs and possibly pork belly bacon.

A heavy duty stainless unit is my ideal, but a cheap one to play with for bacon or to help keep the ribs from drooping might be worthwhile.

Walmart sells a "Backyard Grill Rib/Roast Rack". It's not stainless, but it's less than $10 and it has 6 slots which is perfect for the 3 rib packs.

I use grill pro rib rack (without the tray when I smoke). It is non-stick and generally does not stick to the meat.

39495_4.jpg

I have found that:

a)it's not long enough and
b)it's the right height

BUT

because it's not long enough, the rib ends hang out the ends and "droop" and

c)if the ribs are on the thick side (well duh, that's how I want them), they tend to touch.

Also, when the ribs are done and I pull them out of the rack, all the bark gets scraped off
icon_mad.gif
because of the thickness of the meat (or narrowness of the bars, take your pick).

Which we know is not what we want.

I don't know that any racks work well in all respects.

These are just my observations and not a recommendation/rejection of this rack.

AS A RESULT, I tend to do the rib "curl" (holding the rolled ribs with bamboo skewers) instead of using the rack. No loss of bark and no touching of meat-to-meat.

britu7.jpg

Steve and Len, thanks for the input and I really like the photos. Bamboo I have, but the market often cuts the ribs into two sections and packages them together. I'll have to talk to the manager.

Also, Len, I take it you do not do a crutch or boat for your ribs along the way? I have been doing that and not sure how I'd accomplish that if I want to wrap the ribs in foil and juice them a bit.

But lots of good ideas. Also, I want to cold/warm smoke slabs of pork belly bacon. Those are a bit thicker than ribs, I think, but similar. If I can stand those up, I can smoke twice as much each time. Smoked bacon is a bit of rarity here in the Philippines.

Originally posted by Chad Anderson:
Originally posted by Dan Moore:
Cook's Illustrated recommends this

That's similar to the Weber 6469. I like that its reversible. Hoping one comes my way next Sunday

Well, one came my way. But it's too big, it doesn't fit an 18" WSM. Plus, if I cut the ribs in half ( I usually cook three racks at a time on the top rack) they fall thru. Guess its going back...
icon_frown.gif

Hey Chad - I just got that same one, and noticed the same thing.....but it looks like it may slide in better on the lower rack. I'm planning to try in this week - so I'll let you know if it fits on the bottom rack.

Well, I ordered 2 of the CI recommended rib racks which should be plenty for my 22.5 Weber Grill and Smokenator setup. I'm hoping that I can slice pork belly to fit and use it for smoking bacon as well. Now for the 6 week wait as they come across the Pacific Ocean.

Originally posted by Patrick Houghton:
Hey Chad - I just got that same one, and noticed the same thing.....but it looks like it may slide in better on the lower rack. I'm planning to try in this week - so I'll let you know if it fits on the bottom rack.
Guess I was too hasty, I took it back the next day. How did it work for you? I can still get 4 to 5 racks using both grates and having the ribs lay flat. This seems to work better than any rib rack I've tried already, so may be its time to give up the quest.

Back