Rib Rack Recommendations Needed

Len-the rolled ribs look like a great idea. I have a few questions.
1). Can you do this with St. Louis or is this strictly a baby back only technique?
2). Can you still foil or will the ribs just tear apart when you unfoil them and then re-roll them to put them back on the smoker?
3). Does this technique increase cook time (all things equal)?
4).Does this technique compromise the finish or aerance of the rib?
5). Any idea how many racks of ribs will fit on the top grate when using the rolling teachnique on a 22.5 WSM?

I'm not Len, but I've rolled and racked a lot of ribs on the wsm. Never rolled them on my big bullet, yet. Usually just flat on the grates.
1). Yes, No.
2). No, Yes. The rolling technique is a KISS strategy for evenly cooking full-length slabs of ribs. By the way, I use water in the pan if not foiling ribs.
3). Not that I've noticed.
4). Not if you don't mind that the ribs won't lay flat after pulling off the smoker. Personally, I'd prefer that to badly overcooked ends of slabs.
5). Six is certainly not crowded. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmcapacity.html

Dave-Sorry to take so long to reply. First of all....Thank you! My next question is are those 6 St. Louis or BB's rolled In the photo? Also, I actually always use water in the pan and then foil on top of that...which might be overkill. I'm guessing that you add your finishing sauce while the ribs are still rolled. In other words you don't unroll them sauce them and then try to rearrange them on the smoker....correct?

Back