Rib Rack and Foil

B.Lasky

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm going to use my Brinkman rib racks for the first time tomorrow in my 14.5. Wondering about foiling the ribs. Is it OK because they are vertical?

I thought that the Brinkmann racks used half slabs oriented horizontally on their side. Vertical would be like if the rib slabs were hung.
How about trying 1/2 a slab natural and the other half foiled and see which you prefer?

I've wrapped ribs using rib racks in the 14.5". It works fine. Be mindfull of the seam. You don't want to loose your foil mixture.

When I foil using a rib rack, I buy a small foil pan that the rack will fit in. I put the rack and ribs in the pan, pour in a little apple juice, then cover the whole thing with foil. You may have to squeeze the corners of the pan in so the cover goes on but it usually works well.

I have an 18.5 so I am not sure what size pan you want for the 14.5 but they have a lot of options

Didn't have much luck with the racks. Some of the ribs were on the thin side and folded over. Three slabs of cold meat were too much for the little 14.5. Never really got to temp. I should have let the ribs and smoker warm up more. After I got smoke on them split them up between the WSM and OTG. Temp shot right up.
After all was said and done everyone loved the ribs. Probably the best I've made. The smoke gods were watching over me........

...Three slabs of cold meat were too much for the little 14.5. Never really got to temp. I should have let the ribs and smoker warm up more. After I got smoke on them split them up between the WSM and OTG. Temp shot right up....

Lots of guys are buying the mini wsm, so mind sharing details? Did you try water in pan---hot or cold? (I'm guessing most don't with the mini.) How many lit briquettes to begin with? Kind of charcoal? Weather? What do you think the issue could've been?

Lots of guys are buying the mini wsm, so mind sharing details? Did you try water in pan---hot or cold? (I'm guessing most don't with the mini.) How many lit briquettes to begin with? Kind of charcoal? Weather? What do you think the issue could've been?
I'd say it was operator error. The ribs only sat out for maybe a half hour, still cold. Only let the smoker get up to about 230°(Maverick). I used 3/4 small Weber chimney of KB. Full water pan, room temp. I thought anout dumping the water, but figured the lower grate would get too hot. I will try it again and I'm sure it will be fine. Tried to rush. Again the ribs were awesome, so I might have a new method.......

Back