Rib help, is it time to wrap these???

TomSanderson

Hey guys!

My friend is smoking ribs for the first time, on his 18.5 wsm. He's basically following the videos Aaron Franklin has on youtube, so he's going to wrap them. Aaron wrapped his around the two hour mark, and my friend's ribs are at that point now. However, they don't look dark enough to me, to be ready to wrap yet. He's been running 275 or so on the smoker. Here's a pic:

4ujjwn.jpg

Thanks for any advice!!

Tom,
I read the other day where one of our members (don't remember who) wraps for the first hour, unwraps, then cooks until done.
If you're following a specific method/recipe, then I would go with it.
Bottom line is to cook until done.

How did they come out?

I smoke at 275 and wrap after the 2 hour mark and foil for 1 hour after that I let them be happy and tighten up a bit for 45 min then add my bbq sauce. My ribs usually done in 4 hours.

Keep smoking and you will find your own method. Not sure if you checked out the main home page. Has lots of great tips and recipes which helped me out when I first got my wsm.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/rib5.html

I usually go 3 hrs before wrapping the ribs in foil. After foiling they won't pick up much color. If you glaze your ribs with sauce this may not be a big deal. I stick pretty close to the 3-2-1 method for smoke-foil-finish. After they come out of the foil I usually hit them with a little more rub to help get a tasty finish on them.

The farther into the cook you go before wrapping, the less foil time they'll need. I cook spares at 225-250 with water in the pan. If I don't wrap them, they are done in about 5 hours. If they're getting dark at 4, I may wrap them for about 20 minutes, then hit them with sauce for about 10 unwrapped, usually on the grill at 300. It's easy to leave them in the foil for too long, especially if you add some liquid.

Jeff

Back