Returning my SmokeFire after much deliberation

Shane - glitchy

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been stressing over this all week, but have finally decided that I am returning it this weekend. I do really like the grill, I'm very disappointed in the failure live up to the expectations Weber themselves set. I'm not all doom and gloom over the issues at all. I think it's a pretty decent grill. The smoke output to me seems amazing, especially at higher temps. The ability to grill and bakes pizzas is implemented well. Pizzas were always mixed on other pellet grills due to being at the peak of the temp range and the recovery time when putting on, checking, turning etc. The SmokeFire turns them out like a pizza shop.

The pellet feed is the biggest issue to me followed very closely by the fire risk and the pain of cleaning. I believe I could mitigate these issues, but I don't feel that should be something the customer has to do on a $1000 product. If I wanted to put in that much effort, I'd buy a smoke daddy hopper and welder and build my own grill. I admire Dave for having the energy and creativeness to keep experimenting away. I was going to buy food safe silicone spray, cell phone buzzers, and drip pans and call it good. Then my wife started questioning having to do those things and said you're going to be ****** off when there's a fire. In the end she has to put up with me if I put up with the grill, so it's going back.

Sorry about the whole episode, Shane. FWIW, I think the only way it's made clear to Weber how defective these things are is through the return rate and cancelled order rate. I don't think they care if their support operators are tied up, they are already paid for. Returns and cancelled orders, however, hit them in the bottom line; that will get their attention.

My concern would be if there isn't a reasonable fix for the problems, then what, after 30 days you own it. I don't think that's going to be enough time to engineer the fixes that are needed, if there possible at all.
I know I would return it for sure.

Sorry about the whole episode, Shane. FWIW, I think the only way it's made clear to Weber how defective these things are is through the return rate and cancelled order rate. I don't think they care if their support operators are tied up, they are already paid for. Returns and cancelled orders, however, hit them in the bottom line; that will get their attention.

I'm not as equipped as Dave is, but I enjoy testing new gadgets and playing with stuff. The only part of the whole thing that bothers me one bit is probably having to rent Lowe's truck again to return it. Going to have to measure to see if I can lay it on it's side in the back of the Outback and look to make sure I can do it without damaging anything, I don't want to give them any reason not to take it back.

Good luck Shane, I might just follow you, too nervous to keep it beyond the rerun date.
I can either buy a Costco traeger like my buddy’s or a Woodwind like Dave.

Good luck Shane, I might just follow you, too nervous to keep it beyond the rerun date.
I can either buy a Costco traeger like my buddy’s or a Woodwind like Dave.

Too funny, I’m really leaning towards a Traeger Silverton 620 before I think too hard about it and buy a MAK. I looked at the Woodwind with sear station and just don’t think I want the perforated drip pan.

One nice thing about Costco (Sam's too) if they have the satisfaction guarantee you can return them any time you're unhappy with something
Thought of this today when I was at Costco. Almost snapped a pic for here but no trouble for everyone. Several grills large traeger 35 or 36 inch, the upright pellet grill from pit boss, kettle from nex? And surprisingly a Weber Genesis.
Returning the pellet grill does Weber a favor. Either that or lull them into complacency and next year they are facing bankruptcy.
Glad DWambolt has the talent, tools and e ability to show us. Sure you could too. Keeping it is a mistake. Let them fix them first.

Out of curiosity, why not Rec Tec 700?
Honestly because Jon has been saying his feels aged and he was super excited about a SF, I may end up waiting for Rex Tec’s newest smoker, which if I’m not mistaken Jon says is coming soon but will possibly be delayed by the Weber Mistakes.

Last edited:
Thanks Bruno. I was pretty much set on the RT700 then put it on hold waiting for the SF and what encouraged me wait after black Friday is Rec Tec didn't have that good of discount on the RT700 so made the wait for the SF easier but now I am back to square 1.

Honestly because Jon has been saying his feels aged and he was super excited about a SF, I may end up waiting for Rex Tec’s newest smoker, which if I’m not mistaken Jon says is coming soon but will possibly be delayed by the Weber Mistakes.

To clarify, I don't have any information that Rec Tec will have a new grill other than a very brief comment about "something new" I saw once. My comments were just my hunch and nothing else. So, don't wait unless you are very open-ended.

I said my Rec Tec was starting to feel "dated" because the grease bucket and the smokestack seem old-fashioned compared to the sleek look of the SmokeFire. Now, I am not so sure that they don't represent solid, straight-up methods for making a pellet grill work. I DO REALLY LIKE the "bull horn" handles and the overall stainless and black look (which Weber used also on the SmokeFire). I think Rec Tec is a really good family-owned business. If you can afford to play in the MAK or maybe Yoder level, of course you can do better. But for a middle of the road price, you get an awful lot with a Rec Tec RT-700. For the same money it was looking like you would get even more with the new SmokeFire but it doesn't seem to be panning out too well so far at least.

I started this before Jon posted so please excuse the redundancy. As far as aged is concerned I think Jon was referring to the chimney on the Bull. I had a Rec Tec with the back vents and have a Camp Chef with the Chimney. It's easier to put a cover on one without the Chimney but with Chimney isn't a huge challenge. If you don't need a sear capability the RT-700 or RT-590 have an excellent controller, great customer support, and the Bull Horn handles are slick. I'm happy with my Camp Chef but drool over the Rec Tec. At their price point they're very hard to beat.

Fair enough, I do feel that we can all appreciate solid, classic designs that are tried and true a little more these days.

Back