Results from a 9.4lb pork butt

Christopher H

TVWBB Fan
Hope everyone had a great weekend! Saturday I smoked a 9.4lb pork butt. This is worth sharing because I'm not sure if anyone else ever does this but I was sort of under a time crunch Saturday for the smoke. I have done this about 3-4 times now but I took the 1 large 9.4lb pork butt and cut it in half, rubbed both halves and then smoked it. The results in my opinion are exactly the same as doing the PB whole, except MORE BARK and less time! I have spent this summer working on getting a good bark and my PB. I ran the smoker at 250 for 6 hours, wrapped the PB in foil, let rest for an hour and then pulled.

Results: lots of yummy pulled pork!

nIdy5.jpg

Looks great! I'll have to try cutting a butt in half. Sounds like a good time saver, as well as letting me use both grates in the smaller 14.5 WSM.

Looks good from here! More bark, less time BUT what about moistness?

No issue there! I just ate it cold as a sandwich 2 days later without sauce and I finished it before I could think about taking a sip of water. The only thing that is not similar with doing the PB whole is that the side without the bone needs a little more time to get to my desired 190 internal.

Looks great! I'll have to try cutting a butt in half. Sounds like a good time saver, as well as letting me use both grates in the smaller 14.5 WSM.

Definitely give it a shot! I cooked a 7.2 lb PB about a month ago after it was cut in half and 3.5 hours it was done to perfection.

I basically do the same thing for comps. We separate the shoulder into three section. (Money muscle,center, bone blade.) We leave just the skin holding it together. This way we can get bark all the way around. Cooks the same as a whole shoulder

Back