MikeHawk

I was lucky enough to find a Redhead Genesis in really good condition. Everything was original, missing Flavorizer bars, rusted burner tubes (expected)
xlgtap.jpg

I Dismantled the cook-box, hood and frame, sanded it down, sprayed it with Ultra High heat Semi Gloss.

2ps3ig8.jpg

2ljq1eh.jpg

I wire brushed the burners but they were too rusted so i ended up having a flamethrower from the middle burner (too be replaced this week)

5vd9iq.jpg

After sanding about 5 of the original grey painted wood slats i got tired and ended up going to Home Depot, bought some pressure treated wood (total cost was around $5.00) and Pecan wood stain with Poly.

2cynmuw.jpg

I kept the original handle as it looks so much nicer with the holes in the middle than a solid piece of wood

160cshf.jpg

Here are the final images of my RedHead restored (waiting on Rcplane Flavorizers and the burners)

ojje9v.jpg

148lkdl.jpg

Other little things I did that werent mentioned:
degreaser inside along with Easy Off
degreaser on the red enamel followed by 0000 steel wool
magic eraser on the knobs

This is also my first post ever on this Forum, let me know your thoughts on how it came out!

Good job

Good job!! Came out awesome.:redgenesis1: Looks just like the one my wife didn’t let me buy. She apparently thinks a 4th Weber is not a good idea.

nice work. just a tip though. don't let food come in contact with those slats if they're pressure treated. Stained or not. It's arsenic

That is a real beauty! It is nice to see a fellow Floridian keeping the restorations going through the winter while our northern friends have to be on the sidelines. Thanks for sharing the great pictures!

Mike,
Came out sweet!

Jealous of your nice weather too...had an ice storm today up here in Mass, not the ultimate grilling weather :(

Jeff

Pressure treated wood since 2004 no longer contains arsenic in most cases. It is very rare now. But, regardless, they still use some nasty chemicals to treat wood so the advice still applies.

Regarding painting the end caps on the hood. I would remove the end caps before painting. It makes painting a lot easier than having to tape off everything and risk missing the edges.

But, your grill looks very good now. Enjoy it. It is a great grilling machine..

Pressure treated wood since 2004 no longer contains arsenic in most cases. It is very rare now. But, regardless, they still use some nasty chemicals to treat wood so the advice still applies.

Regarding painting the end caps on the hood. I would remove the end caps before painting. It makes painting a lot easier than having to tape off everything and risk missing the edges.

But, your grill looks very good now. Enjoy it. It is a great grilling machine..

That's weird as the tags on the PT lumber I just bought last summer at Menard's clearly stated a warning about arsenic

Yes, it is still available, but it is limited.

Quote: "Government and public attention to the issue of health hazards from CCA-treated wood, both national and international, has been growing steadily over the past few years. In March 2003, EPA finalized a voluntary agreement with preservative manufacturers to ban the production of CCA-treated wood for most residential uses as of December 31, 2003. However, the ban does not prohibit the sale of CCA-treated wood produced prior to December 31, 2003, nor does the measure address existing structures. With regard to retail sales, a warning label must be displayed in locations where CCA-treated wood is sold. The EPA has also removed chromated copper arsenate from its list of approved chemical pesticides."

I bought that lumber last summer so we are now 14 years past 2003. I have to wonder about this whole thing. No matter what..................OP don't put fod in contact with that stuff. Whether it's CCA or not it's still a chemical s^&tstorm and not "good eats" :)

I agree I wouldn't let food come in direct contact with the treated lumber. The polyurethane probably provides some protection from any chemicals but still. ..

Probably not that big a deal though since most people use plates and platters to hold their food before and after grilling. I can't think of a time I ever put food directly on those side slats on my grills.

Back