Restoring 1985 Genesis 2

HeatherHeslin

TVWBB Member
We are about to begin restoring a 1985 Genesis 2. What kind of wood would be most accurate to what was used originally? We’ve been told redwood or cedar. Does anyone know which it is?

Hi Heather,

Send some pictures of the please. It would be nice to see what you are starting with.

someone will reply with the wood type

thank you

Heather use the portrait icon to drop your pictures in they will display bigger and better. The portrait icon is the one to left of the middle 3 dots.

Redwood was used on most grills back in the day, but by the 80's, it was being restricted quite a bit and other woods were being used. If you can get Redwood, I would use that. But Cedar a good second if you are trying to stay close to original. Others have used Oak, Poplar, Mahogany and others with interesting and beautiful results. But Cedar, like Redwood has good natural rot resistance and if you can find some good pieces, you can get awesome natural color and grain pattern.

Heather, cedar would be the original wood. "Cedar work surface" is mentioned in the 1985 Weber Genesis ad called "Well Done", second image shown in this thread:

Chris has done a great job of securing old ads, brochures and other documentation for the old Weber grills that is otherwise hard to find and makes it available here on the site in one place.

Heather, cedar would be the original wood. "Cedar work surface" is mentioned in the 1985 Weber Genesis ad called "Well Done", second image shown in this thread:

Thanks Chris! I looked at these ads yesterday and thats the conclusion I had come to! Thank you so much for finding and posting these ads! They have been very helpful in my research!

Heather, check out my restoration of a couple of the old Webers.
Well, maybe not “restorations”, but I did document some of the differences of the older grills like yours vs the newer ones.

Gerry

Sorry no I did not take any photos. It looks like it did before except the slats are the wide early type and not painted red like the top

Back