*RESTORED* Tackling my First Restore - Genesis 1000

TSP is OK but again you're introducing water. Also TSP when exposed to aluminum causes the aluminum to exude a white powdery oxidation

Yes, that is right Larry. I used some on an old aluminum canoe about 5 years ago. It got it cleaned up nice, but did discolor it and there was some of that oxidation. Probably not a good idea for metal, and aluminum in particular. Pretty caustic stuff too. You don't want to use it without rubber gloves.

Yep, my hands were red raw for three days after that and burned bad for a good day. I was contemplating a trip to the urgent care that next morning.

One-month check-in.

I’ve been using this grill like crazy! It’s been a serious beast and I’ve been loving it! With that said, I was having caked-on grease flare-up on the flavorizer bars and drip pan, so wanted to check it out. A few things:

1. The aluminum foil that I covered my torn up drip pan in has burned through in multiple locations. Is this something y’all do with your personal grills (cover it in foil to make for easy cleaning)? If I find a donor grill with a better pan (no holes) should I even bother covering it in foil or should it be fine?
2. My JBWeld high-heat experiment failed. If you’re familiar with this thread, I had holes all throughout my drip pan. I tried to fill them with this paste but after only one month, it’s fallen apart.
13353024-E285-40B8-8BC4-90C2FD055B71.jpeg 800F9B0C-0B8B-4220-8CCC-29224038ECAD.jpeg
It almost appears to be lifting off the pan, which was cleaned thoroughly before application.

So, in summary, do y’all cover your drip pans in aluminum foil that you change ever my month or so? And the JBWeld experiment was not a success.

Fantastic job! Just got done doing a light "restore" (really a "heavy" cleaning w/selected part replacements) on my 1100 "Redhead" and was crushed when I discovered my drip tray was like yours - full of grease plugged holes. Was even more disappointed to see that the HI-temp JB weld didn't work out, I was going to go that route (or similar). For now just have a piece of "heavy duty" aluminum foil and I'll just keep an eye on it and change it out every few weeks.

2 of my pans are in good shape but I still keep them covered with aluminum foil. The wrinkles in the foil can trap grease and oil and lead to a grease fire (I had a minor fire even with new foil), so I check it before every cook. The minor grease fire (actually it was EVOO so an oil fire) burned holes in the aluminum foil so the foil is fragile and something you want to monitor often.

One-month check-in.

I’ve been using this grill like crazy! It’s been a serious beast and I’ve been loving it! With that said, I was having caked-on grease flare-up on the flavorizer bars and drip pan, so wanted to check it out. A few things:

1. The aluminum foil that I covered my torn up drip pan in has burned through in multiple locations. Is this something y’all do with your personal grills (cover it in foil to make for easy cleaning)? If I find a donor grill with a better pan (no holes) should I even bother covering it in foil or should it be fine?
2. My JBWeld high-heat experiment failed. If you’re familiar with this thread, I had holes all throughout my drip pan. I tried to fill them with this paste but after only one month, it’s fallen apart.
It almost appears to be lifting off the pan, which was cleaned thoroughly before application.

So, in summary, do y’all cover your drip pans in aluminum foil that you change ever my month or so? And the JBWeld experiment was not a success.
I assume you did not use the regular JB Weld the 2 part which you need to mix. I have repaired rust moon craters in three grills on the cross bar never had an issue. I repaired the back edge of a grease tray which had deteriorated still holding up but here is the key IMO or this is what I would try you have nothing to lose.

Buy the regular JB Weld clean off the stuff that did not stick on both sides rough it up clean it with Acetone or whatever. I drink beer so I keep some case boxes lying around when I spray small stuff or whatever. I mix the JB Weld by cutting a piece of the beer box using the glossy side it will stick to the paper not coated. Don't go crazy mixing a large batch it goes a long way. So I use a metal 1" putty knife to mix it and apply.

You need to do both sides to fix those holes, cut some small pieces of the beer box and on the bottom tape those to all to the holes glossy side up of course. Then on the top of the tray apply the JB weld to the holes no need for sanding later you can't see them apply a thin coat. JB weld dries quicker in direct sun so put the tray out in the sun.

Wait a few hours, then turn your tray over and pull off everything covering the holes. Let it sit in the sun so it cures on the bottom, wait till the next day then you can apply the JB weld on the bottom of the tray on those holes. Leave it in the sun for the rest of the day you should be good to go. Again you got nothing to lose for 5 bucks with the JB weld and I always have it around for other uses, down the road you find a better drip tray. Just putting the JB weld on one side is not going to work.

You are using the Original JB Weld, not the 5-minute variety, correct? Just wanted to point that out.

1599085948226.png

Y
You are using the Original JB Weld, not the 5-minute variety, correct? Just wanted to point that out.

View attachment 13185
Yes I would never use the 5 minute only the original and quite frankly what they say for cure and times to sand in my experience are no where what they say it is. But like I said put it out in direct sun and it pretty well speeds up the process.

One-month check-in.

Sorry to hear that. 🙁
I was hoping for success as I was going to try it on mine. Thanks for posting your results.

Yeah, I did too. I wasn't impressed. I have yet to see a water-based adhesive that would properly adhere to metal, but I was hopeful. It sets up too quickly to actually get a good bite, I think. The best thing is it looks like it popped out cleanly.

Yeah, I did too. I wasn't impressed. I have yet to see a water-based adhesive that would properly adhere to metal, but I was hopeful. It sets up too quickly to actually get a good bite, I think. The best thing is it looks like it popped out cleanly.

yes it certainly popped out cleanly. I just took my time and covered it in some foil until I can find a decent replacement. Thanks for all your help!

I have repaired a couple cook boxes with that stuff. It works great on aluminum. Sometimes the genesis cook boxes get holes in them where the flavorizer bars rest on each side of the cook box. In fact, my personal grill had two holes plugged using that stuff. One was a little smaller than a pea. 4 years later, it is still good. But, I don't think it is meant to be used in thin applications like Bondo might be.

I have repaired a couple cook boxes with that stuff. It works great on aluminum. Sometimes the genesis cook boxes get holes in them where the flavorizer bars rest on each side of the cook box. In fact, my personal grill had two holes plugged using that stuff. One was a little smaller than a pea. 4 years later, it is still good. But, I don't think it is meant to be used in thin applications like Bondo might be.
Hmmm...did you patch on both sides or just one? You might have better luck if the patch extends to both sides. My first thought was that the grease pan expansion/contraction caused it to pop loose because the only thing it had to stick to was the metal, but if the patch extended through the metal even if it didn't adhere to the metal the patch would still be intact. Maybe.

Glad I came back and looked at this thread again. I was planning to pick up some Extreme Heat which I see was a fail....oh, well. I do have some of the original JB weld so I think I'll give the two-sided method described by @Brian B Atlanta a try and see how it comes out. Plenty of beer cases lying around since I haven't been able to return bottles since March! Only need it to last a few more years and will keep my eye out for a replacement drip tray in the meantime....

Has anyone ever looked into contracting a capable metal works shop to make a replacement? I mean its just stamped steel coated in ceramic, if enough people got together perhaps it would still be cost effective if enough volume? Seems like there are plenty of folks looking for these. I was quite surprised there's no third party already making them TBH.

Hmmm...did you patch on both sides or just one? You might have better luck if the patch extends to both sides. My first thought was that the grease pan expansion/contraction caused it to pop loose because the only thing it had to stick to was the metal, but if the patch extended through the metal even if it didn't adhere to the metal the patch would still be intact. Maybe.
Morning, Ed! Yes, I put it on both sides, hoping that the bond through the hole would help. And you could totally be right about the pan size changes... I wouldn't fault anyone for trying different stuff, just sharing my experience. At this point, I've got it covered with foil and will be keeping my eyes out for a replacement.

I was quite surprised there's no third party already making them TBH.
Agreed!

Morning, Ed! Yes, I put it on both sides, hoping that the bond through the hole would help. And you could totally be right about the pan size changes... I wouldn't fault anyone for trying different stuff, just sharing my experience. At this point, I've got it covered with foil and will be keeping my eyes out for a replacement.
Hi AHymel! Thanks for sharing your experience! That is really important, IMO, whether something works or doesn't. We probably learn more from our failures than our successes. Anyway, there was a post recently that a vendor was looking into reproducing these, so hopefully someday...it seems to me that these (or something similar in a different grill) were made out of stamped aluminum at one time. I may be thinking about one of my off-brand gas grills from years ago...but I don't know why a disposable liner such as the type that we use in our grease pans couldn't be made as well.

Maybe after the economy gets going again some enterprising person will take this on...

Back